General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High RPM detonation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High RPM detonation

I am still having high RPM detonation. It is a raspy popping sound that gets worse with increased load on engine (higher gear) and air temperature. I have new TR55 NGK plugs and I also just SeaFoamed the car. Still there.

I noticed my MAF screen was missing, should I pick up one?

Car also has MSD wires that were already installed. I have no codes being set, car has 61,000 miles. What is the cause of this sort of detonation. Is it running lean?

Also, TB bypass has already been done. Mods are SLP lid, self ported TB and cutout. I could do things like colder plugs and 160* thermostat but I want to find the cause of the problem and not just "put a bandaid over it". Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

It actually seems that the SeaFoam has helped. But it also has been a little cooler here. I am seriously thinking about the 160* thermostat.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the MAF screen is missing don't worry about finding another. Actually I think once you knock it out you would have a hard time getting it back in there, when I took mine out it seemed like it was glued to the MAF.

Seafoam should have helped...01-02 cars have a lot of problems with pinging at a high RPM. Your would benefit greatly from a catch can...it would catch about a teaspoon of oil. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but those little bits of oil going through the intake & being consumed is enough to lean out the air fuel ratio and make for lots of pinging.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Why have I heard so much that 01-02 ls1 cars have this problem? Another thing I was considering is cleaning out the fuel rail and injectors.

My moms 99' TA also does this too, exact same thing.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having a problem with high RPM pinging and I switched where I was getting my gas from...I don't get it any more and this has been in VERY hot (100*+) weather...

I really think that different "brands" of gas maybe have different standards as to the octane levels of thier fuel.I was using whatever as long as it was premium but noticed that when I switched to EXXON,the pinging went away...Maybe coincidence but,thats what happened with my car...
Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

I will try exxon, I also have just been getting my gas anywhere as long as it was 91 octane or higher.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Banned

my buddy has thsi problem we have been tryin to fix for months we seen improvment when we put ngk tr6 plugs due to a colder plug with the ethanol and get ur gas at shell exxon etc. not qt or race track. catch can is a pluss like said also try sea foam but it still is happening we think it was due to the previous owner putting 87 octane in the car
Old 08-23-2006, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had this same problem (4500+ RPM) for me the only thing i have figured out is you can't use cheap gas stations. Once i went through a couple of tanks of 76 the problem went away. What I've learned is the hotter it gets the more important it is to use GOOD gas

Quick Reply: High RPM detonation