General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam before or after new fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seafoam before or after new fuel filter?

seafoam my fuel system before or after i put a new fuel filter or it doesn't matter? Just wondering.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm almost positive it doesn't matter but I would install the new fuel filter afterwards just for peace of mind.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely before. it's not really a killer on your fuel filter, but why dirty a new one? DEFINITELY do it before the new one.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
definitely before. it's not really a killer on your fuel filter, but why dirty a new one? DEFINITELY do it before the new one.
Um i don't think you understand how the fuel system works on these cars the fuel goes from the tank through the filter then into the motor via the injectors where the seafoam will burn the carbon off the pistons and be sent out through the exaust system so to awnser the question it makes no difference since the filter will see no more dirt either way
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Um i don't think you understand how the fuel system works on these cars the fuel goes from the tank through the filter then into the motor via the injectors where the seafoam will burn the carbon off the pistons and be sent out through the exaust system so to awnser the question it makes no difference since the filter will see no more dirt either way

Yeah but the seafoam is cleaning the fuel pump.. fuel lines... maybe the tank a lil bit since this seafoam stuff is pretty strong... etc.. so that crap is going through the fuel filter.. where it it filtered out.. and left on the filter... it wont make a difference really... but why not just wait... run the seafoam ... then replace you filter...clean system.. clean filter

Besides.. this guy is like the seafoam guru.. lol convinced me to seafoam my car.. and it definitely idles smoother now and responds a bit faster to my lead foot.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
he's not cleaning the pistons, he's pouring it into the gas tank. this cleans the injectors and dries up water in the gas tank, along with potentially stirring up all kinds of nasty. it has little to no effect the internals of the motor. it's always better to change your filters after any cleaning procedure, not before.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

he's not cleaning the pistons, he's pouring it into the gas tank. this cleans the injectors and dries up water in the gas tank, along with potentially stirring up all kinds of nasty. it has little to no effect the internals of the motor. it's always better to change your filters after any cleaning procedure, not before.

Annnnnnnd by pouring it into the gas tank and coming out of the injectors, its not going to clean the pistons or the valves????? hmmmmm interesting concept being thats how ALLLL carbon removal additives work that you buy off the shelf!

seafoam can be used to pick up a few extra mpg you have lost over the years and reduce or elimiate your engine ping by cleaning out your cylinders!

Imagine that?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
Annnnnnnd by pouring it into the gas tank and coming out of the injectors, its not going to clean the pistons or the valves????? hmmmmm interesting concept being thats how ALLLL carbon removal additives work that you buy off the shelf!

Imagine that?
are you serious? it cleans the cylinders by getting sucked into your engine through a vacuum line. this produces huge plumes of smoke and noxious gas. you're completely oblivious to the seafoaming procedure. he's just talking about adding a can to his gas tank. it's simply not concentrated enough to do anything to your pistons or internals. that's why direct injection into your cylinder banks via a vacuum hose is necessary. simply pouring seafoam into your gas tank won't do **** for the internals of your engine with the exception of mild injector cleaning.

seafoaming his "fuel system" implies he's only adding it to his gas, not in his oil or through a vacuum line.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-06-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you serious? it cleans the cylinders by getting sucked into your engine through a vacuum line. this produces huge plumes of smoke and noxious gas. you're completely oblivious to the seafoaming procedure. he's just talking about adding a can to his gas tank. it's simply not concentrated enough to do anything to your pistons or internals. that's why direct injection into your cylinder banks via a vacuum hose is necessary.

seafoaming his "fuel system" implies he's only adding it to his gas, not in his oil or through a vacuum line.

you can seafoam quote till your blue in the face, it does not change the fact that your obviously missing some facts. Anything that comes out of your injectors hits the pistons, do you agree? Therefore, any detergent pumped through the fuel system, makes contact with the piston domes, do you agree? I hope so, otherwise this is a moot point.

The next time your in a parts store pick up a can of fuel system cleaner (Chevron for example) and read what else it cleans i.e. intake valves and pistons. Taco, don't argue this point becuse its really showing what you do not know.

Now, I'll concede that by pouring the seafoam in a concentrated form through a vacuum hose into the intake is a more aggressive method of cleaning the pistons. But they also get the treated by the levels in the fuel. Personally, I don't see the remaining 2.5 ounces you flood the motor with being enough to coat 8 pistons that are 3.90" across or bigger but thats a different story and can probably be adjusted by each individuals preference.

How many motors have you taken apart and saw oil on the top of your piston so, I think we'd also agree what is poured into the crankcase will never reach the top of a piston right? (Unless you have a broken oil ring)

So the only long term cleaning the pistons and valves will see is the roughly 300miles of driving while the injectors are spraying the back side of the valve and piston. Once its ingnited, the carbon will be removed little by little on the valve face as well.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Resident

you can seafoam quote till your blue in the face, it does not change the fact that your obviously missing some facts. Anything that comes out of your injectors hits the pistons, do you agree? Therefore, any detergent pumped through the fuel system, makes contact with the piston domes, do you agree? I hope so, otherwise this is a moot point.
stepping outside for 30 seconds exposes you to radiation, but it's not enough to give you skin cancer. the seafoam is so diluted at this point, it won't affect the pistons. this is why your car doesn't smoke with seafoam in the gas tank like it does on a direct injection. so i disagree with you. it's too weak to do anything.

The next time your in a parts store pick up a can of fuel system cleaner (Chevron for example) and read what else it cleans i.e. intake valves and pistons. Taco, don't argue this point becuse its really showing what you do not know.
what the hell are you talking about? the seafoam is simply not strong enough. this is why seafoam tells you to put it through your brake booster to clean the cylinders. if it cleaned anything worthwhile by putting the seafoam in your gas tank, they wouldn't advertise the long and scary step.

How many motors have you taken apart and saw oil on the top of your piston so, I think we'd also agree what is poured into the crankcase will never reach the top of a piston right? (Unless you have a broken oil ring)
what in the hell does knowing how to take a motor apart have to do with seafoam cleaning pistons? there's a lot of guys out there that know how to take a motor apart that can't type a simple sentence correctly. knowing how to take a motor apart doesn't make you smart.

i can't take this anymore. it's not even on topic.

it's not necessary, but if you can help it, change your filters after seafoaming.

[/thread]
Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

stepping outside for 30 seconds exposes you to radiation, but it's not enough to give you skin cancer. the seafoam is so diluted at this point, it won't affect the pistons. this is why your car doesn't smoke with seafoam in the gas tank like it does on a direct injection. so i disagree with you. it's too weak to do anything.

what the hell are you talking about? the seafoam is simply not strong enough. this is why seafoam tells you to put it through your brake booster to clean the cylinders. if it cleaned anything worthwhile by putting the seafoam in your gas tank, they wouldn't advertise the long and scary step.

what in the hell does knowing how to take a motor apart have to do with seafoam cleaning pistons? there's a lot of guys out there that know how to take a motor apart that can't type a simple sentence correctly. knowing how to take a motor apart doesn't make you smart.

i can't take this anymore. it's not even on topic.

it's not necessary, but if you can help it, change your filters after seafoaming.

[/thread]

Dude, what you did for the write up, whatever my disagreements are, is commendable because it took alot of time. I know, because I have done them many times as well and for that I applaude you.

But when discussions get to the point where your blowing your top, I'd just rather leave them alone.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Seafoam before or after new fuel filter?