General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C not working well

Old 09-22-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C not working well

My A/C hasn't been working very well. It turns on and I don't feel a surge or anything like that, just not cold air.

I checked the a/c compressor belt and I filled it up with coolant. My car doesn't overheat in normal driving, only when I'm in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.

What could be the problem? Do I need a freon/refrigerant recharge?

Also there is no noise coming from the engine compartment other than the damn alternator pulley whine.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have two separate things going on - if it's overheating in traffic that's a coolant issue - if the AC isn't blowing any cool air at all, and the compressor is coming on (and still not cooling) or even if it is coming on, that's a referigerant issue.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

fuse?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I think I might have topped it off with coolant yesterday and it got a little hot and started spewing the coolant out. I might have a problem with my thermostat so I'll look into it all today. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Are your fans turning on?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

how much would it cost to fix that?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't checked those out but I'll be looking into everything this week. I'll be checking fans, probably be replacing the thermostat with a cheap one from kragen's or something while I get a 160* from slp, maybe the waterpump (even though I don't think that's what it is), and some other stuff.

There was some smoke coming from the engine compartment but it wasn't much. I hope my head gaskets aren't fried. I don't want to have to rebuild it yet, because I don't want to have to spend a lot of money on it.

I'm going to be getting a TB SS within a month and I don't want this to **** it up for me.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

If your car is overheating AND you AC isn't running good it's most likely something around the Radiator/condensor. Fans aren't turning on, somethings blocking airflow, maybe the exterior of the two are just really dirty. You haven't spilled oil on them recently have you?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took it to Wal-Mart to have my oil changed since my friend works there and does it free, and there was a little bit of evidence of some spillage, but I dont' think that was it. I'll be checking on everything this week, when I have time.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I checked the relays to the fan, and they are still holding up well. The motors were running, so that wasn't the problem.

I guess it's one part at a time now, the thermostat is getting replaced first, to see if it is what's causing all those problems, then the waterpump, if all else fails.

I've also got to replace some pullies.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just replaced the thermostat this past weekend, but yesterday morning my car was still squealing like a pig. I thought it was just some coolant on the belt, but it turns out to be my waterpump. My car is overheating bad, running 230 and there's coolant spilling everywhere. My low coolant light finally comes on and I still have to drive hoem. So I drive it home and starting tearing stuff out. The only thing is that they gave me the wrong waterpump. I had to go to Kragen's this morning to return the pump and get a refund, then I had to run to NAPA to get the correct waterpump. Now I have to wait to install it.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

While I was at school, my dad installed the waterpump yesterday. On start-up it seemed fine, but then proceeded to read all the way to the red on the temp. gauge. I figured it was something with the computer, because the engine wasn't hot, no coolant was leaking, and we were still adding coolant/water to the radiator, and it wasn't boiling over. My dad topped it off, I took it home, and the temperature proceeded to drop to the normal operating temp.

I started it up this morning and it seemed fine, until I started to hear a noise coming from the engine. It sounded just like when the waterpump was going out, but it wasn't. There was no coolant leaking, so I figured it was from some coolant spilling on a belt. Now my car is still not in the normal operating temp, which is between the 160 marking and the 210 marking.

I've checked the fans, they work. I've replaced the waterpump and thermostat, and they work. I replaced the belt about 5,000 miles ago with a goodyear gatorback, replaced the alternator, replaced the idler pulley, and the belt tensioner pulley. The only thing I feel that is left to do is to replace the radiator cap, make sure the radiator is fine, and make sure the system is free of air. Anything else?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're still overheating? You're on the right track, make sure there isn't any air in the system, radiator cap and check the radiator - you have an A4? Make sure there's no trans fluid getting into the coolant. I have the dummy 99-02 gauge, not used to one that actually works - but if it's significantly above 210 somethings going on.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be checking on those later today. I checked the fans earlier today because I didn't hear them go on, but I turned the car off and I saw them slowly spinning to a stop. My concern isn't the A/C as much as it is the hotter operating temp. My gauge has always been fairly accurate, being that it is a '98 and I have a M6. It doesn't go much further than the 210 mark; It'll usually only go a hair above 210.

Search this Thread