General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 z28 wont idle right

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 z28 wont idle right

This morning i started my car up and it died imediatly. I started it again and it stumbled to life and barely idled at 400 rpm or so just long enough for me to step on the gas a bit to raise the rpms to 900 and keep it running. After 30 seconds or so the car still wouldn't idle worth a crap so i kept it at 900 rpms with my foot for like 5 mins and then it just barely idled on its own at around 500 rpms. I got out and looked under the hood to see if anything was visibly wrong and it all looks good so i went out of my driveway after letting it warm up to operateing temps. It didn't idle exactly right but it got me about 5 miles and after about 3 miles ran fine again. Anyone know what could be the issue? The car ran fine the whole way no missfires or anythign it just sounded to be starving for fuel. I filled up at a station i ussually don't use could that be it? Could the octane rating be the problem? The car has a few small mods but nothgin enough to throw the tuning off alot. Only a flowmaster muffler and a k&n filter with a chopped egr tube. I went back 4 hours later thinking the problem could be a cold start issue and it fired up just fine. The temp was not very low or high around 75 or so today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Could have been bad gas it happens. My car used to do that same thing. Turned out to be a bad spark plug. I always thought that a car would missfire if there was something like that wrong. I could be a lot of things though.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

clean the throttle body. The sensors maybe dirty, and clean the idle hole in the blade.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this a stick or a A4? and what do you mean chopped egr tube?....is the car more choking or bogging .....or is it just not holding a idle?....check back
Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Take the IAC valve off the TB and clean it.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by staringback05
is this a stick or a A4? and what do you mean chopped egr tube?....is the car more choking or bogging .....or is it just not holding a idle?....check back
The car wouldn't idle below 1200 rpm for a bit but it seems to be fine now. Doesn't seem to have the getup it use to though. May just be my imaginstion though. It's not choking or bogging it just sounds like its out of gas but of course it isn't. It's an A4 and the egr tube has been cut like i've seen described on this board and a few how to sites. You cut off the bottom of the tube where it goes down into the intake and it subosedly frees up some power.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

the one problem with that, is a seal.....seeing as thats after the maf, if any air gets in there it will make your run rich, or idle very bad....unmetered air
Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I cleaned the IAC and it was pretty dirty but the idle quality isn't any better and since it is no longer actually having the problem i cant tell if i fixed it or not. Should i take the dirt in the IAC as a sign that the rest needs cleaning too? And go ahead and clean it all?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can, wont hurt anything....if its not doing it anymore, then that might have been your problem...get a bottle of tb cleaner and have a go at it...take a paper towel and spray and whipe the tb, inlets, and try to get as much on the other side of the plate as possible unless you want to take ur tb off and clean it...when you start the car it might cough a bit bc of the spray...no biggy though