General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car doesn't start on the first try

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car doesn't start on the first try

Hello,
This has been happening to my husband's car, 2000 T/A, for a little over a year. It cranks but doesn't turn over until the 3rd or 4th try. This morning it took like 10 tries before it fired up.
It's been to the shop and different parts have been replaced (Starter, crankshaft position sensor, ECM, A.I.R. pump, battery). Once something is replaced it'll start up just fine for about 2 to 3 months and then the problem comes back.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any suggestions to where we can take it to get this fixed once and for all? We have extended warranty.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey i use to live in garland texas!!! But anyways back on the subject, what do youmean it doesn't start? Do you mean it just clicks? Or does it turn over and over and tries to crank but just doesn't? Please explain a lil more to me thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Like said above, is it actually turning over and just not firing? If so, start with checking the basics like fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, fuel injectors, maf sensor, etc. How's it run once it starts?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I said it backwards. It doesn't make the clicking sound, it turns over and over trying to crank.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

If its just turning over and over then its not creating a spark to actually start the engine. So first thing to check for is maybe a plug wire or actually plug wires are not connected completely to the spark plug. Then check the actual plug wires for melted spots. Then make sure the plug wires are completely plugged into the coils on top of the valve cover.

Check these little things 1st and then let us know if this fixes the problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Like said above, is it actually turning over and just not firing? If so, start with checking the basics like fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, fuel injectors, maf sensor, etc. How's it run once it starts?

I posted at the same time you did. Sorry that's why I didn't answer you. Once it starts it runs great. Just yesterday he took on a late model Mustang . I'd say that maybe 5,000 to 6,000 has been put on it since the new plugs and wires have been installed.
As soon as my husband gets home we'll check the wires and make sure everything is nice and tight.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Veteran

So did this fix the problem?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Launching!

put a fuel pressure gauge on and see if it loses pressure quickly or within a certain amount of time. my car does this and my problem is the seals on the fuel pump are bad and i need to get a new fuel pump, i managed to do a quick fix and adjust my tune to open my injectors longer when cranking.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try tapping the throttle when you turn the key to the "on" position. then go to start it. i belive its a problem with the TPS sensor or something. ill look into it. mine has the same problem, which is why i have to "blip" the throttle on cold starts
Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

IAC not working
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

It started up just fine this morning. I gave my husband a ride, so I can keep trying his car throughout the day. Once the problem comes back, I'll start trying what yawl have suggested. And as for the IAC, I believe it is working.
I'll keep yawl posted.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm back with the same problem. If there's anyone from here that was at Kennedale on Sunday June 3rd and whitnessed the problem, you know what i'm talking about.
There's plenty of fuel pressure, no misfires and no codes (a code reader was hooked up while the car wasn't starting). The aftermarket alarm's "kill-start" was disengaged.
Any other suggestions? My husband wants to get rid of it and in clear conscience I can't, not with this problem. Plus I love it because it used to be mine before it was his.

Would changing out the plugs again make a difference? I'm desperately asking for your help. Thanks.
Lorena

Quick Reply: Car doesn't start on the first try