General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration during parked reving, and lil in 5th, 6th

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration during parked reving, and lil in 5th, 6th

ok,,ive done some searching, but looking for vibration threads is pretty overwhelming, and im not quite finding what i need..

my car idles around 750, 800 RPM's. If i rev to 1500,,,my steering wheel, and shifter vibrate pretty bad. going to higher RPMs just does the same,,,very bad shaking of the steering wheel, shifter, turn signal ****...this is all while parked.

Now driving the car is a lil different...1st through 4th is no issues,,,,5th begins a lil shaking, 6th shakes a lil more than that....not as bad as when i sit in the driveway and easily rev up to the 1500 mark.

Anybody got any ideas on this one? Im almost sure that it is a pulley, or something that is belt driven,,,but can only guess. Any help form you all will be appreciated
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

ttt....?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Is your check engine light on? If so I would get that diagnosed first, I see in your sig that you deleted your air pump and I’m assuming that P0480 code is due to that. You might have more codes stored in your computer so if the light is on take a trip to AutoZone and see what’s in there.

But anyway, It sounds to me like you might not be firing on all cylinders or possibly have a worn out motor or tranny mount. That would explain why it’s happening most noticeably when your parked.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx Bandit..

the p0480 has been there since i purchased the car,,,,the AIR was already removed. I did just run the codes,,,,i do have the p0480, and C0266, ADS controller malfunction,,,,my TCS off light is always on,,,that happened right after installing the LS6 intake manifold. I have had them erased, but they come back of course. ((funny,,,it has never thrown the EGR code after i removed it)) The TCS stuff, i have looked all over, but cant find the source of it,,,even had my local dealership look, no results there either.

This vibration thing has me for a lose.....how do i check for cylinder fire,,,or do i just need to go back to the dealership service shop for that?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

More than likelyTranny mount!! I had the same problem. If you replace it with a poly one it will still vibrate, so if you don't like the vibration go back stock.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

If your not throwing a code for misfires then your engine is probably running just fine......I agree with 2 fast 2000, it's probably just a shot tranny mount.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Im still on my stock tranny mount.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Holy ****!!!

this car is more finiky than the wife,,,,

ok, as you have read, ive had some vibration issues.

I called the original owner today to inquire, he advised me to try cluth in / in gear parked revs,,,,and the revs i was doing (out of gear, parked) to see if the vibration was coming from the engine, or the rear. When i went to do this,,,,no vibration,,either way???????????????????????????????????

I ALSO noticed that my SES (that i have owned as long as i've owned the car) was not on!! (usually a p0480, and a new one, C0266 after my intake swap,,,ADS malfunction,,i dunno)

I was going to look for a wobbly pulley, but i have no vibraton at all. I tried driving, shutting er down, and restarting,,,several times to try to kick the codes back on, but nothing. You know how hte light comes on for a second when you first fire it up (all the dash lights come on for a sec),,,it dosent even do that,,the SES light doesnt come on at all (this could be normal behavoir, but like i said,,i have had a code as long as i've owned the car.)

I think my car needs to see a shrink.....and me too soon, as this is pretty freakin crazy. Any help or ideas will greatly be appreciated.

((Tainted,,if your readin,,sorry to hear of your engine troubles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))
Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Have you visually inspected your harmonic balancer? I was getting vibration that would happen in park through the steering wheel - very fast 'soft' wobble within similar RPM's. The rubber (?) that you can see as the dampening device between the sections of the balancer was chewed up looking and missing around most of the edges. My brother and I replaced it with an SLP underdrive pulley and that fixed that vibration issue. Possibly at that time my new vibration issue began that I posted about in my thread. I also had an out of round wheel that had to be trued around that time and various mods there have confused my issue!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

i have not yet inspected the pulleys, but will be doing that this evening (wife and i had no business behind a wheel yesterday afternoon)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

,,,i should change the title of this thread to "LS1 Exorcism Needed"
Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Finally got in there to look,,,when my wife revs the car to the desired RPMs noted above,,the pulley does seem to have some play, or "wobble" to it,,,its not much, but compared to all my other pullies that look to spin perfectly,,,its shakin. ALL RIGHT!!!! Its Pulley Time! Hopefully this is the problem,,,if you all have any Other ideas / suggestions, let me know.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Have you been able to fix your issue? My pulley is wobbling a bit too. I'm surprised since it's a big chunk of metal. This is causing some vibration at higher RPM and I'm also getting an oil leak. Maybe caused by the vibration? Looks like I'll have to get the SLP harmonic balancer.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Just to note did you get new pulleys for the new balancer?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Nadda on both,,still have my issue