General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont start, no noise crank or anything

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, no noise crank or anything

on the 99 ta. put the key in ding ding all that jazz, headlights work and all so i dont think the batt is dead, turn the key nothing. the security light on the dashboard is just flashing like usual. i did get it to start once but then i tried again and it would not. what do you guys think it is ? some sort of fuse or something ? possibly the chip in the key ? Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

check the fuses and then check for any ground wires or other wires that might have come loose.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

will be checking it out tonight. gotta head home
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this an automatic trans? If so, try putting it in neutral and starting it. If you have better luck, you need to adjust the neutral safety switch or replace it. Also, it's not difficult to pull the bottom of the dash. If you get a test light or multimeter, you can verify the voltage coming to the steering column on the red wire and leaving on the purple wire while the key is in the start position. Also, do you have a second key? If you do then try it instead. It may be the resistor in your key for the VATS causing the problem. Try the easier stuff first.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the security light in the IPC is not on double check the battery connections/get it load tested. You can have enough voltage to run lights, but not enough amps to turn the car over.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, check the starter relay too - you can even just swap it with a relay of the same type in the box.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cleaned the resistor on the key and it works fine now i guess. i'll see how it holds. thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3800RS
on the 99 ta. put the key in ding ding all that jazz, headlights work and all so i dont think the batt is dead, turn the key nothing. the security light on the dashboard is just flashing like usual. i did get it to start once but then i tried again and it would not. what do you guys think it is ? some sort of fuse or something ? possibly the chip in the key ? Thanks in advance

wow you had the EXACT same problem i had yetserday. I would have full power try to start it nothing, then all my gauges would do a full sweep.

But anyways i new the battery was good. I had jsut bought a red top about 1 month ago. I chekced all the connections on the battery they were tight. Something was off so i took the negative terminal off first it was fine. Then i started to taket he positve terminal off, i had a powdery substance start leaking out. The more i loosened it the more powdery substance came out. So my postive connection was not connecting so good. So i took som 80 grit sandpaper and cleaned the screw that connects to the positive terminal and cleaned the battery itself. Tightened it all back up. BOOM FIRES RIGHT UP!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i will check that too. but it just seems like the chip in the key is a little worn. i am gonna order a new key also
Old 04-17-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3800RS
i will check that too. but it just seems like the chip in the key is a little worn. i am gonna order a new key also
makes ya fell good when its an easy fix
Old 04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I'd bet money that one of the wires in your ignition cylinder has broken. New key won't help a thing. Time for a new cylinder and keys. If you know someone with tuning software you can turn off VATS and see what happens. Ask me how I know. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

This happened to mine and my buddy's car. Those GM batteries suck and leaked acid on my positive cable. Corrosion ate the cable away.

Also, the two positive wires that go into the red plastic cover that bolts to the battery terminal....pull that red cover off. Sometimes corrosion builds up between the two ends and the current wont transfer. Seen that MUCHO times on Cadillacs.

If you are willing, jump the starter and see if she turns over. This will bypass any battery cable problems and then it's probably in the ignition, neutral safety switch, or something related in that area.

Last edited by WFOWS6_IL; 04-19-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: on more addition!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WFOWS6_IL
Also, the two positive wires that go into the red plastic cover that bolts to the battery terminal....pull that red cover off.
How exactly do you remove that cover?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
How exactly do you remove that cover?
You have to pull the terminal bolt(5/16 head) out of the cover. There is a lip that bolt slips in on that cover. Once that's out, you should be able to slide the cover off. Might take a little muscle since the round end is a little bigger.