General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dexcool or the Green Stuff???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dexcool or the Green Stuff???

I've heard talk saying that Dexcool is crap and switching a system out to the normal green coolant is a better road to take. The argument:

Dexcool is corrosive to Aluminum and likes to gel up

The only reason GM still uses it is because of the insane amount of money they spent developing the stuff.

Has anybody heard the same things? Every other vehicle that's not GM uses green and seems to be just fine. Has anybody changed fluids in their rides? Just curious... I will be replacing a power steering cooler soon and then would be a good opportunity to switch if it were for the better.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Banned

get some G-05 and never look back
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly is G05?

-J
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lastcall190
What exactly is G05?

-J
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

i dont have a LS1 but mine came out with dexcool and now has the green stuff
Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Actually, dex is less corrosive to Aluminum, not more.

I will never put green stuff in any car that came with dex. It's supposed to take dex, I've been using dex in all my current cars since new, and dex has never caused me a problem.

There is nothing wrong with dexcool. What is wrong is the 5 year/150k change interval that GM recommends. I change mine every 1-3 years (depending on the car) and never have any issues.

Think green can't cause damage? Think again. Leave that stuff in too long and it'll eat through cooling system components just like dex would. I've seen green eat through everything from water pumps, to heater cores, to radiator cores, to plastic coolant overflow bottles.

Whatever coolant you pick for your LS1, change it every 2-3 years and you'll never have a problem.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My question then is what is the difference between dex and green? The idea behind dex is to have a coolant that does not require changing under normal circumstances for the advertised 5 years, 1,000,000 miles or whatever. If you're having to change out dex as often as you are green then developing and using dex is/was pointless...
Old 06-02-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My radiator was all gelled up when it had Dexcool in it. When I replaced my water pump the shop I took it to put green in it. They said it is compatible and not to worry.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by myk
My question then is what is the difference between dex and green? The idea behind dex is to have a coolant that does not require changing under normal circumstances for the advertised 5 years, 1,000,000 miles or whatever. If you're having to change out dex as often as you are green then developing and using dex is/was pointless...
Dex is supposed to be better for use in aluminum engines, and it's also supposed to last longer. Unfortunately though, it just doesn't last as long as they claim.

When you run into real problems with dex is when you either let the system run low on coolant (introducing a lot of air to the system) or let the coolant get too old. Either of those circumstances can cause the dex to get sludge or gel like.

Don't let the system run low, and change it out every 2-3 years and you should be fine. The same is good advice for the green as well. Only reason why I prefer dex is because, when changed regularly, my cooling system internals seem to stay cleaner than they did with the green stuff (also changed regularly). On my older cars, Green stuff has always left a grayish-white cement-like coating on the inside of my radiator tanks even when changed every 2-3 years, by dex never does that on my newer cars.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

I like the Valvoline G-05. Allot of my road racing/autox buddys have used it for a while now with no complaints. But just like RPM says, you should change the coolant out every 1-3 years. I do mine every year with a full flush.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

So.... think I'll stick with Dex. So far it's never caused me problems but you always come across those people who say otherwise. Preventive maintenance is the name of the game. I just want what's best for my baby..."tear"....haha!

Thanks guys
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Dex is ok, just make sure if you switch to green you get it flushed out completely. If you mix green and dex they create an expensive mess for you.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _JB_
My radiator was all gelled up when it had Dexcool in it. When I replaced my water pump the shop I took it to put green in it. They said it is compatible and not to worry.
well sorry that shop lied to you. gm used dexcool for a reson. and the only reson why it gelled up is because you are supose to change it sooner then gm recomends.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Actually, dex is less corrosive to Aluminum, not more.
actually, it's important to note that dexcool does not block corrosion right away. green coolant helps stop corrosion the second you pour it in your radiator. the organic nature of dexcool takes 5,000 MILES TO START ACTIVELY PREVENTING CORROSION. the first 5,000 miles you run a fresh batch of dexcool isn't protecting metal against corrosion!

I will never put green stuff in any car that came with dex. It's supposed to take dex, I've been using dex in all my current cars since new, and dex has never caused me a problem.
numerous articles have been written about dexcool. it is trash. GM uses it because they have invested an obscene amount of money into its development, so they basically force you to use it with all kinds of scary warnings so they get your money.

the PERFECT example of this is the pontiac vibe/toyota matrix. for those of you that do not know, GM and toyota got together and made an engine. it was a 4 cylinder - very nice engine. the engine was to go in GM's pontiac vibe, and also, toyota's matrix. the cars are almost identical, just like the camaro and firebird, with a difference in outside styling. maybe a few other things (my mom has a vibe - nice little SUV that gets 34 mpg). GM says "only dexcool should be used in this motor." toyota says "NO DEXCOOL!" so, why would GM say you have to use a coolant in a motor when toyota runs the EXACT SAME MOTOR AND TELLS YOU SPECIFICALLY NOT TO USE DEXCOOL?! because dexcool is trash and toyota knows it. GM just needs the money, so they scare you into using it.

as a point of reference, honda absolutely FORBIDS dexcool in their cars. FORBIDS IT! they are LIVID about this stuff. toyota is, too. while not as bad as honda, toyota forbids its use in many of their automobiles as well.

There is nothing wrong with dexcool. What is wrong is the 5 year/150k change interval that GM recommends. I change mine every 1-3 years (depending on the car) and never have any issues.
there's plenty wrong with dexcool. yes, the change interval is definitely its biggest problem, but also, the lack of corrosion protection for the first few thousand miles and the particularly nasty habit it has of eating gaskets due to its organic nature are other problems, too. remember when GM started using dexcool? they had to redesign their head and intake manifold gaskets because certain cars were blowing them left and right. the dexcool was eating right through them, or rather softening them up so much, they would fail. it still does that to this day with rubber seals. dexcool ate the seals in my water pump and caused it to leak all over/have a nasty squeeking sound due to the bearings being shot - and my car was 5 years old/had 30,000 miles - well within the recommended change interval.

Think green can't cause damage? Think again. Leave that stuff in too long and it'll eat through cooling system components just like dex would. I've seen green eat through everything from water pumps, to heater cores, to radiator cores, to plastic coolant overflow bottles.
yes, green can. however, its change interval is 2 years. if you don't change it out within 2 years or so, then anything that goes wrong is your fault, not the fault of the coolant, just like dexcool can't be blamed for anything that happens after 5 years/150,000 miles - you were warned to get it out of there. the fact is, green is a much more proven coolant than dexcool, and you're much less likely to have problems with green within its change interval than you are within dexcool's.

Whatever coolant you pick for your LS1, change it every 2-3 years and you'll never have a problem.
exactly what i'll be doing. i switched to green almost 10,000 miles ago. so far, no regrets.

here is a VERY REPUTABLE article posted on the boards absolutely lambasting dexcool for being the junk it is:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....37&postcount=1

you could be a dexcool fan, a dexcool hater or someone that doesn't care at all, but this article is GREAT information, and you can't argue with the source. chances are, they know a lot more about the stuff than any of us.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-03-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boom! yea i firmly believe dex sucks? read that article as stated above that was enough to convince me to change my 2 ls1 cars to green and plan on changing/flushing them every 2-3 years......hell if you even look at the dex wrong it goes bad lol seriously there have been several on here that actually worked for dealerships saying if air is in the flow it cause it to freakin gel up and so on ......stuff is too touchy i think if you do plan on flushing your dex though make sure its all gone befroe putting the green in both together is a very bad combo on your engine and its wonderful aluminum parts!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dexcool, green stuff.....Sunny D!

Dexcool is fine as long as you change it when you should and don't mix other coolant types with it.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fuseone
well sorry that shop lied to you. gm used dexcool for a reson. and the only reson why it gelled up is because you are supose to change it sooner then gm recomends.
It hasn't caused me any problems yet (1 year in the fall), plus as this thread says to change coolant every 2-3 years so it will be ok.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Dexcool, green stuff.....Sunny D!

Dexcool is fine as long as you change it when you should and don't mix other coolant types with it.

lol sunny d
Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
actually, it's important to note that dexcool does not block corrosion right away. green coolant helps stop corrosion the second you pour it in your radiator. the organic nature of dexcool takes 5,000 MILES TO START ACTIVELY PREVENTING CORROSION. the first 5,000 miles you run a fresh batch of dexcool isn't protecting metal against corrosion!

numerous articles have been written about dexcool. it is trash. GM uses it because they have invested an obscene amount of money into its development, so they basically force you to use it with all kinds of scary warnings so they get your money.

the PERFECT example of this is the pontiac vibe/toyota matrix. for those of you that do not know, GM and toyota got together and made an engine. it was a 4 cylinder - very nice engine. the engine was to go in GM's pontiac vibe, and also, toyota's matrix. the cars are almost identical, just like the camaro and firebird, with a difference in outside styling. maybe a few other things (my mom has a vibe - nice little SUV that gets 34 mpg). GM says "only dexcool should be used in this motor." toyota says "NO DEXCOOL!" so, why would GM say you have to use a coolant in a motor when toyota runs the EXACT SAME MOTOR AND TELLS YOU SPECIFICALLY NOT TO USE DEXCOOL?! because dexcool is trash and toyota knows it. GM just needs the money, so they scare you into using it.

as a point of reference, honda absolutely FORBIDS dexcool in their cars. FORBIDS IT! they are LIVID about this stuff. toyota is, too. while not as bad as honda, toyota forbids its use in many of their automobiles as well.

there's plenty wrong with dexcool. yes, the change interval is definitely its biggest problem, but also, the lack of corrosion protection for the first few thousand miles and the particularly nasty habit it has of eating gaskets due to its organic nature are other problems, too. remember when GM started using dexcool? they had to redesign their head and intake manifold gaskets because certain cars were blowing them left and right. the dexcool was eating right through them, or rather softening them up so much, they would fail. it still does that to this day with rubber seals. dexcool ate the seals in my water pump and caused it to leak all over/have a nasty squeeking sound due to the bearings being shot - and my car was 5 years old/had 30,000 miles - well within the recommended change interval.

yes, green can. however, its change interval is 2 years. if you don't change it out within 2 years or so, then anything that goes wrong is your fault, not the fault of the coolant, just like dexcool can't be blamed for anything that happens after 5 years/150,000 miles - you were warned to get it out of there. the fact is, green is a much more proven coolant than dexcool, and you're much less likely to have problems with green within its change interval than you are within dexcool's.

exactly what i'll be doing. i switched to green almost 10,000 miles ago. so far, no regrets.

here is a VERY REPUTABLE article posted on the boards absolutely lambasting dexcool for being the junk it is:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....37&postcount=1

you could be a dexcool fan, a dexcool hater or someone that doesn't care at all, but this article is GREAT information, and you can't argue with the source. chances are, they know a lot more about the stuff than any of us.

I've owned enough dexcool cars to know that nothing is wrong with the stuff if you change it as often as you would with green. I've got a '96 Bonneville that's been running dexcool for 11 years now without issues related to the coolant (no corrosion, no gel, no gunk, stock radiator is clean as a whistle on the inside). I get it flushed every 2-3 years.

As for it not protecting the engine from corrosion for 5000 miles (true or not), this has not caused me any issues. I've actually never put 5000 miles on any batch of dexcool in my Camaro or Trans Am because I don't drive the cars often enough to reach that mileage during my change interval. Oddly enough, I don't have any cooling system issues on my '98 car that is now 9 years old with a 100% stock cooling system, and when I sold my Trans Am at 4+ years old, that one had no corrosion issues either.

You can praise the green stuff all you want. My own personal experiance is worth far more to me than any articles or info posted from any source. IMO, it's all about proper change interval and the reason why so many people see issues with it is due to following GMs flawed advice of a 5 year/150k change interval. People get it in their head that this stuff can actually last that long, therefore they wind up with issues. I'll bet that's why other OEMs won't let people use dex in their cooling systems that are shared with GM, because they don't want their customers thinking they can leave that stuff in for 150k.

Just seems odd to me that if dex is SOOOOOOOOOOO bad, why is it that I own 4 cars at the moment with dex (and have had many others), but I never have any premature cooling system issues? Or gunk build up? Or gel? I'll tell you why. Proper maintenance (meaning more regular change interval than recommended). It goes a long way.

Here is what I've seen personally: Dexcool changed every 2-3 years = no premature problems, no corrosion, no gel, no long term issues year after year.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-04-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

I've owned enough dexcool cars to know that nothing is wrong with the stuff if you change it as often as you would with green. I've got a '96 Bonneville that's been running dexcool for 11 years now without issues related to the coolant (no corrosion, no gel, no gunk, stock radiator is clean as a whistle on the inside). I get it flushed every 2-3 years.

As for it not protecting the engine from corrosion for 5000 miles (true or not), this has not caused me any issues. I've actually never put 5000 miles on any batch of dexcool in my Camaro or Trans Am because I don't drive the cars often enough to reach that mileage during my change interval. Oddly enough, I don't have any cooling system issues on my '98 car that is now 9 years old with a 100% stock cooling system, and when I sold my Trans Am at 4+ years old, that one had no corrosion issues either.

You can praise the green stuff all you want. My own personal experiance is worth far more to me than any articles or info posted from any source. IMO, it's all about proper change interval and the reason why so many people see issues with it is due to following GMs flawed advice of a 5 year/150k change interval. People get it in their head that this stuff can actually last that long, therefore they wind up with issues. I'll bet that's why other OEMs won't let people use dex in their cooling systems that are shared with GM, because they don't want their customers thinking they can leave that stuff in for 150k.

Just seems odd to me that if dex is SOOOOOOOOOOO bad, why is it that I own 4 cars at the moment with dex (and have had many others), but I never have any premature cooling system issues? Or gunk build up? Or gel? I'll tell you why. Proper maintenance (meaning more regular change interval than recommended). It goes a long way.

Here is what I've seen personally: Dexcool changed every 2-3 years = no premature problems, no corrosion, no gel, no long term issues year after year.
I will be changing my coolant this weekend and will be using Dexcool. Haven't heard of any personally who had problems mentioned in this thread. I would stay away from the regular green coolant, especially with the aluminum components.

Quick Reply: Dexcool or the Green Stuff???