General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flushing and replacing coolant writeup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flushing and replacing coolant writeup?

I've searched for about 30 minutes and I can't seem to find this anywhere:

I've owned my car for about 6 months though and I'm not sure how long ago the dexcool (if that's what the previous owner even had in the car) was changed, but I'd rather be safe than sorry what with this North Carolina heat.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a writeup on a complete flush and refill of the radiator? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Launching!

*bump*

Nobody knows? There has to be SOMEONE willing to take the time to detail this for me or show me who has done so before.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a simple process, that is why no one has really written anything.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator on the cap side. Open it and the radiator and everything will drain out. To actually get EVERYTHING out you will need to use one of the flush kits, you can get one at any autoparts place. It will allow you to hook your hose to your heater core hoses and pressurize the system and get everything out. The ls1 does not have any special filling procedure like the LT1. Just fill Start it wait for it to come to operating temp and refill from the fill tank not the cap.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Basically what he said. However, do fill your radiator as much as possible before you start it. Dont just put water/coolant in your overflow tank. Running your engine with any water is bad. Now, one thing to conisder is these engines like to catch air pockets when completely drained. It will take some time to get those out. Once drained. Fill your radiator, squeeze your upper radiator hose couple of times. Should see the coolant level go down, through your rad. cap. Fill some more, squeeze, fill. Repeat that several times. Then start your car. Can have your cap off if you want, however have a rag handy for when some bubbles work out and you may have a small spill. Once your at operating temp. or your thermostat opens. Your level should have gone down significantly. Start filling, and squeeze the upper rad. hose. ***CAUTION*** Placing hands, fingers, extremeties on or near rotating engine parts is hazardous to your health ***CAUTION***. Once you have filled the most you can, put the rad cap back on. Fill your overflow tank accordingly and go for a short drive. Upon returning, let your engine cool completely. Preferably overnight. Remove rad. cap. Fill as neccessary. Check again in a few days for any discrepancies.

Ski
Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

For an easier way to bleed:

Put a small paper towel underneath the small tube that comes out underneath the right side of the throttle body (it comes from under the intake manifold). Pull the rubber tube off and hold your thumb over the opening, and open the radiator cap. Fill it through the radiator and all of the air pushes right out of that metal tube. When a steady stream of coolant comes out of the tube, remove your thumb from the rubber side and push it back together. Top off radiator and put the cap on. Start it briefly, top off radiator again, and that's it.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

I just did mine recently after changing out the water pump. It's not difficult, but it is a little time consuming.

1) remove radiator cap and open drain plug at bottom of radiator and allow coolant to drain.
2) pull heater hose to allow a little more coolant to flow (I don't hassle with the plugs in the block).
3) tighten radiator drain plug, reinstall hose and fill radiator with distilled water to neck (use www.installuniversity.com fill directions).
4) run engine with radiator cap off with heater on high (flush heater core) and kill engine after 6-7 minutes (don't let it boil over, just watch it).
5) repeat step 1 - 4 until the water draining from radiator is clear (I usually go through 8 - 10 gallons).
6) tighten radiator drain plug and fill radiator with 6 quarts of dexcool slowly following the fill directions on www.installuniversity.com under thermostat replacement. If you don't get it all in, let the engine cool, and run with radiator cap off again - the level will drop after a cool down cycle or two.
7) run the engine through a few more cool down sessions with radiator cap off to 'burp' any remaining air and top off as needed with distilled water (6 quarts dexcool, 6 quarts distilled water when all done).

I do this every 2 to 2 1/2 years. Also, it's a good idea to remove the battery and flush the reservoir and add 50/50 mixture up to the full line. Good luck!

Last edited by MrEddie; 06-17-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Launching!

Thanks a lot guys; I've been dying to get this done with the serious heat right around the corner
Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Launching!

Also, mreddie, when refilling the coolant, is it necessary to remove the little rubber hose to allow air to escape as detailed on installuniversity? I've never seen that suggested elsewhere but it sounds like a good idea. Is it effective?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, removing the coolant hose going to the throttle body is the key. I put a rag under the hose and put a light on it and watch as I'm adding coolant. It will force air pockets out through the hose. Once coolant starts to flow through the hose, stop adding and reconnect the hose and continue to fill. Good luck!