General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor runs but air does not get cold.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor runs but air does not get cold.

on my 99 Z28, the a/c has stoped working. When I turn the a/c on the compressor runs, it does not click on and off. it runs pretty much continiously. The Air coming from the vents stays warm though. It does get hotter when you turn on th heat, so the blend door is not stuck. None of the lines under the hood for the a/c get cold either. What could this potentialy be?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Disconnect the A/C pressure switch harness and jumper the two prongs together. If the compressor clicks then replace sensor. Cheap fix. The switch just unscrews from the pressure line. I have replaced many like this for the same symptoms.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbuie
Disconnect the A/C pressure switch harness and jumper the two prongs together. If the compressor clicks then replace sensor. Cheap fix. The switch just unscrews from the pressure line. I have replaced many like this for the same symptoms.
He says the compressor runs.
put a gauge set on it and post back saying what the pressures are.
probably low on freon due to a leak, and putting more freon in it is a waste of money unless you have the leak found and properly fixed.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Teching In

yeah i'll get the gauges on it and see what happens. The compressor cycles normally. usually when they are low they will click on and off a every few seconds but mine stays on. I'm willing to bet I have a clog somewhere as none of my lines are getting cold at all. The a/c hardly ever gets used, The car only has 40k on it and even when I do drive it i rarely use the a/c. Still looking for input though.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 09-22-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately you will have to refill it w/ freon (with ink) so you can find the leak. still pretty cheap fix if you do it yourself.

Mine was leaking where the swaybar was. The metal hose as rubbing on it, making a pin size hole... replaced the hose. Let me know if you find you need a hose. I get a discount on OEM parts... i can probably get it and ship it for less then you can get it for retail. (I wont charge any markup) PM me.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:18 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I know where mine is leaking from, it's the high pressure line where it goes into the front radiator, right where the pre-bent line bolts into the radiator. I bent the line the other night and heard the connection start to leak/hiss. My qustion is does anyone have any idea if the washer is a one time use compression washer or am I looking at replacing the prebent line.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

I have this same problem dose anyone know where I can get a new high pressire hose from
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put one can of freon in my 98 every year because I am too lazy to look for the leak lol. If the freon level is too low the compressor wil not CLICK as you might say. Any parts store will have the single can of freon with a cheap gauge that is reusable. I've had my cheap gauge for 3 years now.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alchemist: i believe it's an o-ring on all the connections. they dry and rot out and the PAG refrigerant oil also deteriorates them. you can get new o-rings from any auto parts store for a few bucks.

jbro90: check rockauto or get one from a local parts store. generally it's not the hose unless you physically break them or if they leak at the factory crimp where it goes from rubber flexible part to hard line.

When I turn the a/c on the compressor runs, it does not click on and off. it runs pretty much continiously. The Air coming from the vents stays warm though. It does get hotter when you turn on th heat, so the blend door is not stuck. None of the lines under the hood for the a/c get cold either. What could this potentialy be?
sounds like a bad compressor and you have no pressure differential in the system. first step is put a gauge set on it and see what pressures are. other potential causes: very dirty condenser (mounted on radiator) and it's not expelling any heat or your radiator fans are not turning on. what should happen is this: output line from the compressor should be hot going to the condenser. the output line from the condenser should be warm to hot but cooler than the output from the compressor into condenser because condenser expels the heat. Where the orifice tube is located right after that the line should be cold and wet, and the return line from the evaporator to the accumulator and accumulator should be cold and wet. if this is not happening then either the compressor is not building pressure and/or causing suction, or somebody serviced the system and did not put the orifice tube in. an undercharge would not cause your described problem because you say the compressor is running and never shuts off, the low pressure switch would shut it off. Also if system builds pressure and it's fairly hot out then the high pressure switch should trip and kick your radiator fans on high speed, you can sort of simulate this by putting cardboard in front of condenser to prevent airflow and AC high side pressure should get high in 10-20 seconds and cause high speed fans. By spraying water on the condenser you will drastically drop high side pressure and if the compressor was working at all you should see some air temperature drop at your vents and the radiator fans would go from high speed to low.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem you have. System is charged I have no leaks at all the compressor runs but I get hot air. Sometimes the compressor chooses not to run at all. I'm pretty sure it's a bad compressor.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of pressure are you getting on the high side?

Quick Reply: A/C compressor runs but air does not get cold.