General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the ignorant question and it may have already been asked in the thread, but how do you disconnect the wires plugged into the BCM? I release the 4 square grey tabs on one but the connector still isnt loose, do I just pull hard? And for the other one with the grey and green tabs, no clue how that works. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tan327
Sorry for the ignorant question and it may have already been asked in the thread, but how do you disconnect the wires plugged into the BCM? I release the 4 square grey tabs on one but the connector still isnt loose, do I just pull hard? And for the other one with the grey and green tabs, no clue how that works. Thanks!
Bump, anyone?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan327
Bump, anyone?
Note this is not the right way to do it but it worked without any problems for me (and I believe others since I probably wouldn't have tried this without someone else mentioning they did it this way). Obviously before you start any of this the battery should be unplugged....

From my page 10 repost:

"....Now that you have the BCM out you have 2 choices. You can remove the 3 connectors and solder somewhere else, or like me (since I could not find out how the hell to get the 3 connectors off) just pry open the BCM housing (again I used the razor blade on the 2 little tabs, then it simply opens up like a clam to expose the circuit board). I then resoldered the pins with the board still plugged in..."

HTH
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is the thread I have been looking for! My radio has been randomly turning off for the last year. I thought that the aftermarket radio wasn't working right, but retained accessory power stopped working every once in awhile the other day. All the connections were fine on the radio and I couldn't figure it out so finding out about the BCM problem is great news. I love this place!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Very helpful. A couple of weeks ago I noticed neither of my windows would work. Then the problem disappeared. Then I noticed my LCD readout on the radio going off and on randomly and that the windows wouldn't work when it was off.

I figured I'd be buying a new BCM, but before I went down that road I did a search and found this thread. Going to do the fix on my day off Friday!

Update: fixed! Worked like a charm!

Last edited by RevGTO; 07-23-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Another is this a bcm issue question. My car will throw a security light and not let me start the car sometimes. Sometimes it will reset and I can start it and other times I have to try three or four times. I have done the vats bypass but still gettingthe issue. My security light will come on while driving sometimes also. Does this sound like a loose connection on the bcm or does it have to do with something else? Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trans99am
Another is this a bcm issue question. My car will throw a security light and not let me start the car sometimes. Sometimes it will reset and I can start it and other times I have to try three or four times. I have done the vats bypass but still gettingthe issue. My security light will come on while driving sometimes also. Does this sound like a loose connection on the bcm or does it have to do with something else? Thanks
I have the same problem!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone possess a magical diagram of which wires are which that go into the BCM? Need to find the starter relay ground wire. Car no start VATS is screwing me hard.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trans99am
Does the starter click at all when this happens?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam86
Does anyone possess a magical diagram of which wires are which that go into the BCM? Need to find the starter relay ground wire. Car no start VATS is screwing me hard.
Posted this a couple of years ago: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11633365-post7.html
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam86
This site has some good info.....

http://www.gearchatter.com/
Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

I had this problem to a pretty bad extent and this fix "flixed" the problem with the radio flickering while other things don't work etc. etc. But today, maybe a month after the fix being done on my daily driver, (maybe 2000 kms sense fix), the radio and windows cut out again.

I'm assuming its the same joints on the board, I just find it strange how I liquified all the sodder on the circuit board and even added some extra till the 5 joints were nice and meaty but not shorted.

Just wondering if I missed something or something else could go wrong on that board or on another componant and cause the same problems.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There have been some reports of the wires being loose in the BCM connector causing intermittent symptoms like yours. It might be worth your time to check and tighten any loose connections.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

hmm, I'll have to take a look at that, if the radio cuts out again, I'll rip it all appart again and see whats up. thanks for the help
Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would The bcm be the reason my gauges die while the car is running? I also have the radio problem everyone else has on this thread.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the gauges are not connected to the BCM (other than a couple of the idiot lights).
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by westxwitesnake05
Would The bcm be the reason my gauges die while the car is running? I also have the radio problem everyone else has on this thread.
Maybe an obvious statement but if your gauges die when the car is running, have you checked your battery cables?

The radio thing is likely the BCM. Next time it happens, try to roll down your windows when the radio cuts out. If they don't work, I can't think of anything it would be other than the BCM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1
Maybe an obvious statement but if your gauges die when the car is running, have you checked your battery cables?

The radio thing is likely the BCM. Next time it happens, try to roll down your windows when the radio cuts out. If they don't work, I can't think of anything it would be other than the BCM.

Yes I've checked the battery cables and some ground wires. Im sure the radio is the same bcm issue everyone has cuz the windows would cut out too. Im guessing there is a bad ground somewhere causing the gauges to cut off. I havnt had time to mess with any of the electrical issues yet. I pulled the driveline to put in my new s60 and fix an oil leak. Turns out that oil leak is coming from the crank plug behind the pilot bearing.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Teching In

ok before i do this swap i need to know a few things.
all 98-02 camaro/firebirds are interchangable engine size doesnt matter?
also i have seen disconnect battery and is there any other warnings here?
also are vats involved here?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by camarojoez28
ok before i do this swap i need to know a few things.
all 98-02 camaro/firebirds are interchangable engine size doesnt matter?
also i have seen disconnect battery and is there any other warnings here?
also are vats involved here?
Okay, first of all, the whole point of this thread is that you can fix your BCM rather than swapping it for a new one.

The BCM is the same regardless of engine because it handles body functions not drive train functions. There were two different BCMs used from the factory - one with the optional alarm and one without. But the one without alarm has been discontinued and superseded to the one with alarm so there is now only one BCM to fit all 98-02 F-bodies.

VATS is certainly involved in BCM replacement but not with the solder repair. If you replace your BCM with a new one, it will automatically program itself to your ignition key the first time you use it. However, the BCM can only be programmed once so replacing with a used BCM involves a lot of work to discover the correct key resistor value to match the used BCM (unless you get the key that went with it).

Quick Reply: LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix