General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking noise coming from right header?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise coming from right header?

I just had some budies put some pacesetter headers on and their has been this ticking noise coming from the right side of the engine. Are pacesetters infamous for leaking. (This is facing from the drivers seat.) I had the headers retightened but the ticking noise only occurs when my car goes into over drive and a play with the gas pedal. otherwise it doesnt tick when its not in overdrive. I
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsak
I just had some budies put some pacesetter headers on and their has been this ticking noise coming from the right side of the engine. Are pacesetters infamous for leaking. (This is facing from the drivers seat.) I had the headers retightened but the ticking noise only occurs when my car goes into over drive and a play with the gas pedal. otherwise it doesnt tick when its not in overdrive. I
Exhaust leak. Did you guys use the factory gaskets?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

yes we did. should I put some percys stage eight.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Factory gaskets are actually known to be a bit better than the aftermarket counterparts. Does it only happen when the car warms up? If nothing else really works, go ahead and get some decent aftermarkets. I personally have factory ones and I have no leaks.

*Edit*: Just thought about this; it might not be the gasket where it joins the heads. Check the collector.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

If its an exhaust leak, should I just have it welded instead. Ill this cure the problem.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

If it's at the joint between the collector and the y-pipe, then no. If anywhere else, yes. Take it to an exhaust place and have the trace the leak. It should not cost you more than $10, especially if you know someone there.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

First you need to determine if it's from the flange or some place else. If you have re-torqued the bolts as recommended then you may have a gasket issue you didn't catch or it's coming from where the headers and the ORY meet.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Teching In

I have the exact same leak on my 00 with Pacesetter LT's. I've solved all the leaks from the headers to y-pipe and cat-back but still have the ticking. I have the factory replacement GM gaskets in mine as well. I just bought the Percy "crushable" style gaskets. I had a friend who used them after an accident that bent and crushed his slp headers (not LT's) on a 3rd gen firebird and his doesn't leak at all since. Not sure if that helps but I can let you know if it fixes mine when I'm done...won't be for a bit since it's still snowing here in maine
Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Well unless of course you guys are referring to the LS1 tick
Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jsak
If its an exhaust leak, should I just have it welded instead. Ill this cure the problem.
Uhh.... NOOOOOO!!!. You never WELD headers to the block. You can weld them to the y-pipe (still not recomended), but certainly not to the block. I don't even know how you would get up in there to weld it, but nonetheless the general rule is: NEVER WELD ANYTHING TO YOUR ENGINE BLOCK!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

I think I have the same problem, I don't know if it's the shitty pacesetter y-pipe merge making that sound, or some kind of leak. But when I pop it into 5th at 40 and go WOT, it sounds like an **** seepage leak
Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Well unless of course you guys are referring to the LS1 tick
This wouldn't be a tick mainly heard from the right side of the vehicle at idle sounding similar to a lifter tick and going away around 2500 rpms would it? The sound is easier to hear behind the tire around the fender and almost under the car???? If this may be the annoying tick I'm experiencing I may not bother with the header gaskets.....
Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landonew
Uhh.... NOOOOOO!!!. You never WELD headers to the block. You can weld them to the y-pipe (still not recomended), but certainly not to the block. I don't even know how you would get up in there to weld it, but nonetheless the general rule is: NEVER WELD ANYTHING TO YOUR ENGINE BLOCK!

Shure you can welding stainless and aluminum is somthing welders do all the time.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Check the little A.I.R tube gasket. That's what mine was and it was very noticeable.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise coming from right header?