General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

fucking water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ******* water pump

whats it like to replace the water pump ive done it on an old 70's 350 but never on a late model car what kind of problems do people run into or should i just take it to the shop thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Real easy to change. Just take the lid, bellow, and throttle body off. You will have perfect access to it, should be straight forward.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

thanks man
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Not a difficult job, messy, but not difficult. Change your belt and tensioner at the same time while you are there. Coolant on the belt often makes them slip and OEM tensioners are poopoo. Get a GM pump.

IF you decide to have a shop do it, there is one reason in my mind:
Warranty.
A Chevy dealer will offer lifetime parts AND labor warranty on this repair. If you are short on time, don't want to mess with it, or want peace of mind for the long haul - do it. I did this for most all of the lifetime parts (alternators, A/C Comp, O2s, etc) and it's paid off for me BIG time. One less thing to worry about.

Two questions to ask/reconcile to make this decision in an educated fashion:
1. What is your time worth?
2. Do you enjoy wrenching on the car enough to offset downtime related to question 1?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Not a difficult job, messy, but not difficult. Change your belt and tensioner at the same time while you are there. Coolant on the belt often makes them slip and OEM tensioners are poopoo. Get a GM pump.

Warranty.
A Chevy dealer will offer lifetime parts AND labor warranty on this repair. If you are short on time, don't want to mess with it, or want peace of mind for the long haul - do it. I did this for most all of the lifetime parts (alternators, A/C Comp, O2s, etc) and it's paid off for me BIG time. One less thing to worry about.

2. Do you enjoy wrenching on the car enough to offset downtime related to question 1?
But how much will they charge you the first time to change it? Probably enough so even if you come back they'll still make money.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmilz28

Warranty.

When did GM start offering Lifetime warranty on parts & labor for repairs?

I know they always had 1 year, 12,000 miles warranty at the dealership, but Lifetime???
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did mine.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/895257-changing-water-pump-thermostat-use.html

Easy and straightforward, the hardest part was getting the hose off the thermostat. If you haven't already done them, now is the perfect time for some free mods like I did.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

and here's some instructions you can use.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26

Quick Reply: fucking water pump