General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car hesitation

Hey, please ignore the post i made about startup help, got the car running and everything seems to be fine. However when I took the car out for a quick drive and notice that it hesitates around 2000-3000 rpm at like half throttle, even if I step on it, she seems to kind of lag before picking up. It's mostly in 2nd gear but does it in all I believe, and I do remember it doing this last summer before I put it away but I thought it was normal. It seems regardless of the how much throttle you give it, it just hesitates between those rpm's and basically feels like it should be accelerating faster. Could it be an 02 sensor? I had a problem with the passenger side one last year where the SES light would come after going fast or over a bump. I had it scanned and was told it was bad, but when it turned off I ignored it knowing I was doing exhaust this year.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

anyone?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it good above 3k rpm?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

yes I believe it goes away above 3
Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You might try cleaning your MAF. (Make sure you get special-purpose MAF cleaner.) When the MAF gets dirty, the engine senses less air going to the engine than is actually getting through. When this happens, the ECM cuts gas flow to the engine to compensate, causing a hesitation. (I've also had this throw O2 codes.)

If this is part of the issue, you'll get the problem under acceleration, no matter the gear. You should also make sure your fuel filter is good. (I had a problem with both at the same time, which just magnified the issue.)

GM claims K&N filters foul the MAF with oil. K&N claims the sensors leak silicone on the elements. Whatever the cause, cleaning the MAF is a cheap/easy thing to do/try.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

I will definately try that tonight, thankyou
Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
yes I believe it goes away above 3
make sure. If it comes back on at higher rpm, it's likely not starving for fuel so not a fuel filter or fuel pump problem. At least then you know what it's not which is a start.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Well it seems to have gone away, or at least i think it has. This morning a couple friends and I went to get some eats and it was almost chugging when i tried putting it down in 2nd, like as if i was bumping the throttle on and off. I bought some electrical cleaner just now and took of my lid and the maf screen was full of some bugs and little white furs and ****, so i took it inside and sprayed everything down and wiped it good. Took her back out for a spin and she seemed to pickup better, 1st i didn't notice anything and 2nd there was a little bit of slight hesitation but the car was like that for as long as I can remember. I mean it feels like once you get past 60km's per hour and about 32-3500rpm it just picks right up and goes, if I go through the gears to red line and shift I don't seem to notice it. I don't know, I mean if i go through 2nd gear with light throttle I can feel something in my foot, like the speedo still goes up but the car feels like it's not going for a second or 2
Old 04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I have that annoying problem too. It's around it's around that RPM range. For example if I am WOT in 3rd, I can feel it hesitate, then go.

Dan
Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

I know this is old but did you guys get your cars fixed? Or is it still doing it?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

DITTO....i have the same problem and have not found a solution yet.