General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So I am pretty sure my window motor is on it's way out. Can anyone confirm it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I am pretty sure my window motor is on it's way out. Can anyone confirm it?

Today I was putting down my passenger window and I noticed it stopped going down. Now if I wait it out for maybe 30 seconds to a minute it gets a "charge" and will go up, but then it will stop dead again.

I thought it could have been the circuit breaker, but both windows should have been having this problem. So is it almost dead? And if so how much is a new motor?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigen
Today I was putting down my passenger window and I noticed it stopped going down. Now if I wait it out for maybe 30 seconds to a minute it gets a "charge" and will go up, but then it will stop dead again.

I thought it could have been the circuit breaker, but both windows should have been having this problem. So is it almost dead? And if so how much is a new motor?
Yup. Its your window motor. My drivers side just started doing this 2 weeks ago. I bought my new motor online for about $100. I just got it installed last night, and it working great again.

If you want to prevent this from happening again, install the autotrix fix into the passangers side.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

window motor is dead. replace it before you get stuck with it down and can't lock your car. You can find tutorials easy enough on how to replace it. It's not hard at all. If I remember right, autozone had them for like 60 bucks.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definately your window motor. When I changed mine out I got one off ebay with a warranty for dirt cheap and hasn't failed me yet. I would check there first.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. Now I might try to get a motor from Autozone since they have a lifetime warranty on it. Anyone know any difference between aftermarket motors? I am not sure which brand they sell.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tylerdj
Definately your window motor. When I changed mine out I got one off ebay with a warranty for dirt cheap and hasn't failed me yet. I would check there first.
Tough to collect on a warranty with something you buy on ebay, takes time and shipping money. Whereas your local auto parts store, you just return it local. I agree, I like to shop online a lot. But for things where you might need a warranty, www shopping is not a plus that way.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Launching!

The orig motor is riveted in. I bolted the replacement back in instead of using rivets. Had to use a carriage bolt with slight head shaving to make it work.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigen
Thanks guys. Now I might try to get a motor from Autozone since they have a lifetime warranty on it. Anyone know any difference between aftermarket motors? I am not sure which brand they sell.
Yea - Autozone has a new design for the motor. (So if you go there, make sure you get the new model - the casing looks different than the old.)

The common thing that goes bad in the motor is the switch/relay that turns off the motor when the window hits resistance all the way up/down. Autozone claims that their new design has additional sealing/protection around this part, which keeps it from fouling.