General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Solutions for stock SLOW window motors (f-body)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solutions for stock SLOW window motors (f-body)?

I know that lots of you f-body owners hate how slow the window rolls up and down, what can be done to fix it? I just replaced the driver side one with an OEM one, but I dont think it was brand new, I think it was refurbished. They claim to be new, but its much slower than my stock passenger side one. Are there any conversion kits or aftermarket ones that last a long time and are much stronger and faster than the stock ones? I havent seen this topic come about, so I was wondering what kind of things ya'll have tried. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
2kBlackZ28 (06-08-2022)
Old 08-02-2003, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Solutions for stock SLOW window motors (f-body)?

get in the zone... AUTOZONE
yeah I got one from autozone.. gave it to my brother though I dunno if its installed yet
Old 08-02-2003, 09:28 PM
9 Second Club NA

My buddy got his from Autozone, but I never got back with him on the install or the performance on it. Are the ones from there really better than the OEM ones? What Im most worried about is the speed, strength, and longevity. (most importantly the speed.) I cant stand how slow the stock ones are and especially my driver side. Does anyone know if they have any upgraded kits or conversion kits that uses super fast motors? Thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want one that rolls up so damn fast it can't stop and it launches my t-tops 20 feet.

i'm TIRED of waiting on the stock motors to roll up the windows.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My driver's side motor went bad last summer, I got a new one off ebay, now It cruises!! But the passenger side is still slow as hell. Try looking around on ebay, I think mine has a warranty too. I don't recall the place's name that I got it from off the top of my head, sorry.

Matt
Old 08-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

AutoZone is the key word. Most other suppliers offer refurbished factory motors. AutoZone carries brand new motors made my Siemens, much faster, and they last longer too. They are actually cheaper than some refurbished ones. I paid $65, While I'm on the subject, has anyone else had trouble replacing one of these. I removed the whole unit and riveted the motor on like it was from the factory but it took way too long. My pass. side is becomming sluggish, and I need a trick up my sleeve when it breaks.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also hear that the Autozone Window Motors have a Lifetime warranty? Seems sorta odd but maybe someone who bought one can confirm that..

Old 08-04-2003, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked mine up from autozone and it comes with a lifetime warranty. They offer 3 different replacement motors but I bought the one with the lifetime warranty. I only paid 45 because I have a buddy that works there. Oh yeah the new motor is definitely quicker. Good luck with the install!!Sleepy383 don't feel bad I did the same thing. Their is a quicker way but you have to drill threw the shell of the door to get at the rivets. Do a search to find it I had a link for the page but it no longer works. Sorry

Old 08-04-2003, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also used a Siemens motor from Auto Zone, and if both windows are down and I press UP on both controls at the same time, when the driver's side is completely up, the passenger side still has about 1/3rd of the way to go. Going down they're close to the same speed though.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have good news and bad news. Good news is that the autozone motors work well and they DO have a lifetime warranty. The bad news is that the autozone ones STILL go out eventually. I replaced my drivers side window motor in late 2000 with the autozone unit. Then I had to replace the autozone one about 1.5 years after that. But the good news is they did give me the second one for free So there has to be something with the way GM designed the window regulator or something with the wiring/voltage that is making these motors eventually go out. I mean come on 3 motors in the car in 3 years....I know lots of cars much older than mine with power windwos that have never had a hiccup. On a plus side I can change out the motor in about 30 minutes now if it ever happens again.

Will
Old 08-04-2003, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

I got mine from Ebay and the company's name was A1 Auto. They claim to be OEM, but I think they are just refurbished because its slower than my original passenger side one. I think that Im going to try the one from Autozone. It seems to be my only option.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

does anyone have pics and a full out detailed description of how to take out and install the window motor. maybe a link to any websites. mine just went out too, and i dont know how to do it
Old 08-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Keep a look out on http://www.ls1howto.com they have a write up coming.

Ruben
Old 08-04-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I though some people were using 03 Cobra window motors for their speed?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Try InstallUniversity.com, I seem to remember a write up on instalation.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:51 AM
9 Second Club NA

How much faster are the ones from Autozone compared to a brand new OEM one? I have one that claims to be an OEM one, but Im almost positive its refurbished and Im ready to take it out. The damn thing is slower than the old stock one in the passensger side window. If its really worth spending another $60, Im down. I cant quite explain how fast I want them to roll up and down, but I think that you can image. DAMN f-body window motors! To VTtransam: The name of the company off of Ebay that you bought your windown motor wouldnt happen to be A1 Auto would it?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Digging deep for this one...

We still have a 2001 WS6 T/A and the window motors are finally shot (it is also low miles). The car comes out only in warm, dry weather, so the windows can be down for months at a time. I've read all the helpful tidbits here and elsewhere, but it seems that even the most highly rated replacement motors go bad anyway.

SO, is it possible that the helper spring on the window regulator is the culprit? ...and not the motor?

-J
Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Congratulations on the resurrectional ability, finding a thread 15 years old. That being said, no, it's the motors. Standard parts store replacements fix the problem. How do I know? My ds replacement motor is almost as old as this thread and still working great.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow you sure did do some digging. The biggest thing people seem to either forget or simply not do is, Lubricate all the moving parts. I clean all the old grease off everything with brake parts cleaner. Then blow off with the air hose. Spray down with blaster. Hose it down good. Work everything back and forth till everything moves very freely. Blow it all off with air again. Wipe off excess. Then lube everything with white lithium grease. Try to work it in good on the rollers and pivot. Make sure its on all the gear teeth and the tracks also. If the rollers don't move very easy in any way replace them. A lot of times they are wore badly and you cant tell because you have nothing to compare them to. so when you go get the new motor have them bring out new rollers or regulator to compare. After they wear out they bind up in the track when you put pressure on them going up I use AutoZone window motors all the time. Lubrication is Key to Longevity.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Wow you sure did do some digging. The biggest thing people seem to either forget or simply not do is, Lubricate all the moving parts. I clean all the old grease off everything with brake parts cleaner. Then blow off with the air hose. Spray down with blaster. Hose it down good. Work everything back and forth till everything moves very freely. Blow it all off with air again. Wipe off excess. Then lube everything with white lithium grease. Try to work it in good on the rollers and pivot. Make sure its on all the gear teeth and the tracks also. If the rollers don't move very easy in any way replace them. A lot of times they are wore badly and you cant tell because you have nothing to compare them to. so when you go get the new motor have them bring out new rollers or regulator to compare. After they wear out they bind up in the track when you put pressure on them going up I use AutoZone window motors all the time. Lubrication is Key to Longevity.
Thanks. I've got a better idea of what to look at now. Although I hate having to work on something that should never need to be worked on.

-J

Quick Reply: Solutions for stock SLOW window motors (f-body)?