General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating Problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem Please Help

I have a 2002 Trans Am and I am having a overheating problem. The car does fine when it is idleing but when I start accellerating it will jump up to like 250. I checked the fans and they work and the thermostat seems to be working right. One thing that I was wondering is the radiator cap when twisted all the way around the arrows are a little at an angle when it says they are suppost to be lined up. Any suggestions? Also when I have the radiator cap off and give it gas the water comes up and when I let off it goes back down. Isn't it suppost to be the opposite?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could have a stuck thermostat. also make sure you dont have a bunch of garbage on the front of the condensor blocking airflow. when you give it gas it will show a little waterflow because of some of the bypass lines but if it isnt flowing through the cores at temp then you know its a stat.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

When was the last time you changed the antifreeze in the radiator? Because my car is starting to do that also. I'm thinking maybe the antifreeze is old. Cause i checked the fluid level and it's fine, then I thought I had a problem with the thermostat, but i replaced it not too long ago with a 160.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ItalianSS
When was the last time you changed the antifreeze in the radiator? Because my car is starting to do that also. I'm thinking maybe the antifreeze is old. Cause i checked the fluid level and it's fine, then I thought I had a problem with the thermostat, but i replaced it not too long ago with a 160.
As long as the system is sealed, anti-freeze will last beyond 100,000 miles.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by needadvice
As long as the system is sealed, anti-freeze will last beyond 100,000 miles.
Tis true. It will start to look a little gross, but it will not make the car over heat.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

my car is the opposite, i just got had a used radiator put in because my other one was cracked really bad and i couldn't keep it sealed....so at idle, mine gets pretty hot, but at wot or cruising at higher speeds, it stays cool. but at idle it will go almost up to 250 before the fans kick on.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by samson_420
Tis true. It will start to look a little gross, but it will not make the car over heat.
Thanks... Maybe it's my Thermostat then. I noticed if I drive 80 for a few minutes.... My car will start to get hot fast, the "check gauges" light comes on. Then when I slow down, it will start to go down and stay at like 200-210. Anybody have this problem before?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by magnus66
I have a 2002 Trans Am and I am having a overheating problem. The car does fine when it is idleing but when I start accellerating it will jump up to like 250. I checked the fans and they work and the thermostat seems to be working right. One thing that I was wondering is the radiator cap when twisted all the way around the arrows are a little at an angle when it says they are suppost to be lined up. Any suggestions? Also when I have the radiator cap off and give it gas the water comes up and when I let off it goes back down. Isn't it suppost to be the opposite?
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car?