General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird tire wear issue on rear, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird tire wear issue on rear, WTF?

I've got a fully loaded 01 Z-28 M6 car and I've been running 17x11 BFG Drag Radials on the rear. Lately, well, ever since I put the 17x11's on the car it has been prematurely wearing the right rear tire out. It's completely bald but the left tire looks almost new. It has done this on the past two sets of BFG's, so thinking it's a tire issue I switched to the el cheapo Sumitomo's but have the same problem. I know damn well this car is a posi and the tire pressure is the same on both so what the hell could cause this? I'm going back to a 17x9.5 because this is getting rediculous buying a new set of rear tires every year. This car has not seen the track once, just cruises around Knoxville and carves corners in the mountains. Any idea's? I sure don't have any. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone? Could a blown shock on the right side cause uneven tire wear like this? It feels like the shocks are blown on both sides as the rear end has no stiffness at all, it's also sagging a little. I'm running the prokit springs, although I've heard they sag after a while as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Could be lots of things. Did you buy all the supporting suspension stuff when you put on the prokit? The rear could be out of alignment.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, adjustable PHR and Tubular LCA's. The rear is aligned, I've checked and double checked. Which is why I can't figure this out. I've never seen a car do this before, maybe that rear end isn't a true posi? Limited Slip maybe, turns over the passenger side rear tire a time or two before they both grab? Who knows.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

On my car, the right rear wears quicker as well because the direction the motor and drivetrain spin, causes the car to bring the left front up and the right rear down, putting more weight on the right rear. I'm sure if you put on drag radials, then you play around on the street and have a little fun with them. Watch a buddy do a launch in your car while you stand directly behind it, and you should see the right rear plant alot harder than the left.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superbee_68
On my car, the right rear wears quicker as well because the direction the motor and drivetrain spin, causes the car to bring the left front up and the right rear down, putting more weight on the right rear. I'm sure if you put on drag radials, then you play around on the street and have a little fun with them. Watch a buddy do a launch in your car while you stand directly behind it, and you should see the right rear plant alot harder than the left.
i noticed my rear right wears quicker, but not nearly to the same extent as the op's. rear left is at ~ 15-20%, and rear right is ~10%. they were both replaced new at the same time, and have been on the car for the same duration.

i would check to see if your frame is twisted; that would be my guess. could be your posi took a **** too.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Launching!

thats wierd try smoing them to see if they both spin maybe a clutch in the rearend is messed up and not locking up any noses fom the rear?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

definitally could be a lot of things. gotta remember though too, if you are taking turns often, your rear is not a locker, power will be transferred to the path of least resistance (depending on which way you turn) and when turning the outside wheel has to travel faster than the inner wheel. (when you turn left, the tires on the right side will rotate faster than the left side)

this COULD be attribute to your problem, do you take a lot of left turns? lol but it could be a lot of other things, shocks, wether or not your rear is centered under your car, doing one wheel peels, etc.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Are you sure the posi is working?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My driver rear tire wears wayy quicker than my PR, so i can rule out the engine torque direction being my problem.

Last edited by 1sick'98WS6; 10-10-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First to spin, is first to wear down.

The stock Torsen only splits torque ~2:1 before you
spin. If you have tires where the static:sliding
friction (mu) ratio is more than 2:1 then you are
liable to spin and keep on spinning once you've
lost right rear adhesion from lift reaction. A
higher bias rear will let you spin them both and
wear more evenly