General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

White Smoke coming from Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke coming from Exhaust

So I was driving home from work yesterday and noticed some white smoke coming from my exhaust. Didn't think too much of it at the time. By the time I got into my neighborhood, I could see a thick white trail following my car. I completely fogged out the whole neighborhood. Checked oil and coolant levels. Both were fine. Just had the oil changed on Monday too.

Drove to work and noticed a little bit of smoke here and there along the way. When I parked and turned off the car, I went and looked at the exhaust and there was white smoke still coming out. Not as thick as yesterday, but noticeable.

Anyone know what this could be? Should I refrain from driving the car home from work? Anything I should look for?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your coolant low? White smoke usually means your burning coolant. I have rebuilt some small diesel engines that have gulded the rings in to the pistion it was getting blow by and blowing white smoke out of the oil fill cap/dipstick tube/and exhaust. Check your oil too it will be milky. Might be a blown head gasket.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Nah, checked coolant first thing due to the white smoke. Coolant level was normal. Oil looks like oil, not milky at all...

Taking it to my mechanic on Wednesday, but still trying to figure it out before then...
Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It has to be coolant, though. When coolant burns it's just as you described:

Lingering
Thick
White
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

head gaskets
Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

yea deff park it. your temp my not be reading hot but you could be boiling your motor. if their is an air pocket by the temp sender and it wont read hot. this could warp your heads. i would look into it more and maybe have someone check it out
Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dankl
So I was driving home from work yesterday and noticed some white smoke coming from my exhaust. Didn't think too much of it at the time. By the time I got into my neighborhood, I could see a thick white trail following my car. I completely fogged out the whole neighborhood. Checked oil and coolant levels. Both were fine. Just had the oil changed on Monday too.

Drove to work and noticed a little bit of smoke here and there along the way. When I parked and turned off the car, I went and looked at the exhaust and there was white smoke still coming out. Not as thick as yesterday, but noticeable.

Anyone know what this could be? Should I refrain from driving the car home from work? Anything I should look for?

Thanks
Sounds like you lost a valve seal. White smoke, in that amount where you're leaving a trail, is oil. If you're cruising at say 50mph and then you stomp the gas pedal and keep it stomped, see if you get a quick big cloud of white smoke and then it slowly clears up as you keep on the gas pedal. If thats what you get, its valve seals(s).
Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

^^^I can cruise around with no visible trail behind me. If I punch it though, I get a thick white trail following my car for awhile. I think I pulled a trail for a good 5-10 minutes of driving last time I punched it, until I got home and parked it. If I don't punch it, I get nothing. Keep checking oil and coolant levels before firing it back up. Always the same. I'm trying to not drive much, but I have to get to and from work. I am actually stuck at home now since my fuel pump looks like it is crapping out again (4th time in 4 months I think...)
Going to mechanic tomorrow morning.

This car has been nothing but trouble ever since I started modding it...damn
Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

^^^I can cruise around with no visible trail behind me. If I punch it though, I get a thick white trail following my car for awhile. I think I pulled a trail for a good 5-10 minutes of driving last time I punched it, until I got home and parked it. If I don't punch it, I get nothing. Keep checking oil and coolant levels before firing it back up. Always the same. I'm trying to not drive much, but I have to get to and from work. I am actually stuck at home now since my fuel pump looks like it is crapping out again (4th time in 4 months I think...)

Well, if it is a valve seal, when you hit the pedal hard a low pressure forms under the valve cover and the oil thats under the valve cover gets sucked into that bad valve seal and through the cylinder and causes the white smoke trail. If its bad leak the trail can continue for awhile. It doesn't use that much oil so you won't see a big drop when checking the stick.

A leakdown check is in your future.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

Where do you live in South Florida? I live down here too. I know the best head guy anywhere if it is valve seals.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

I'm in Boca.

Car is being diagnosed as we speak. #7 cylinder is low on pressure. Bad news. Looks like it's my bottom end, d'oh...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

humm maybe burnt a piston or broke a ring...

let us know
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

^^^Will do. Just got off the phone. Piston looks okay. I think it's a ring...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

What was the end result of this? I am getting some white smoke when I punch it. A medium sized cloud but only when I punch it. None when driving and none at idle...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 220 Likes on 170 Posts

I thought blue-ish was Oil.. If it's Coolant than it may be a Crack in the Head or the Block..and it's burning it slowly.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I'll check the coolant level and see. I'm not getting any loss of power or anything, still runs very strong. Just some smoke at WOT.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to say if its white smoke and its idleling in cold weather then its just due to the very cold weather right? almost every car I see on the road is throwing white smoke but then again its real cold
Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Well yeah, I always get some smoke because of the warm air when it's cold out but I live in FL and even on warm days when I floor it I get a white cloud from the back.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snigga
Well yeah, I always get some smoke because of the warm air when it's cold out but I live in FL and even on warm days when I floor it I get a white cloud from the back.
Your cloud is more black then white.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snigga
Most likely you have a bad valve seal(s). If you get the cloud of white/blue smoke "when you nail the pedal", thats usually the culprit. As you hit the pedal it causes a huge pressure drop and that causes oil to be sucked into the cylinders through the bad valve seal(s) from the oil that is under the valve covers.

Quick Reply: White Smoke coming from Exhaust