General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Level Sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant Level Sensor removal

How do you remove the Coolant Level Sensor? I want to clean it before giving up on it due to a low coolant level warning. If that doesn't work I'll just leave it unplugged.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaRock
How do you remove the Coolant Level Sensor? I want to clean it before giving up on it due to a low coolant level warning. If that doesn't work I'll just leave it unplugged.
I had a radiator shop clean mine and it did nothing.

But to get it off you have to remove the metal wire clip that holds it on. Its very easy once you can get to the sensor.

Go here and look up "coolant level sensor". You will see a great picture that will show you the clip and they have good prices if you need one.
http://www.rockauto.com/
Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I'll try cleaning it, but if that don't work I'll save the money and just leave the wire off.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not sure how the sensor works but im assuming when the coolant level falls below the sensor theres very high resistance (due to the open circuit) so it triggers the light. if you unplug the connector that creates high an open circuit as well and will still trigger the light.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by noriceinside
im not sure how the sensor works but im assuming when the coolant level falls below the sensor theres very high resistance (due to the open circuit) so it triggers the light. if you unplug the connector that creates high an open circuit as well and will still trigger the light.
wrong.........the light stays OFF when its unplugged thats how its been on my car for a year, dont feel the need to spend 70 bucks for a dummy light. just leave it unplugged.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alright you gave me something to do, i gotta load up alldata and see how that circuit works
Old 10-04-2008, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

yup...put some duct tape on the sensor wire after removing it and no "low coolant level" warning light. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea it will be off if the sensor is unplugged. but i ended up changing mine to a new GM one, i think its dumb to leave small things like that out IMO, you will never know when you will really need it some day

Quick Reply: Coolant Level Sensor removal