Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieter: Maxflow or Aerochamber?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Default Quieter: Maxflow or Aerochamber?

According to the Mustang magazine test, the Hooker Maxflow is quieter than the Aerochamber at idle and 2000rpm, and louder at WOT.

This thread has a clip from an f-body Maxflow install, which doesn't seem very common. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1004843-hooker-maxflow-catback-style.html

Has anyone heard both on cars with similar set-ups? In particular, I'm interested in which is quieter at idle and low rpms (around town driving).
Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant speak about the maxflow but I have LT's, ORY, and an areochamber catback and it is very quiet IMO. I drive home from school about every weekend which is 2 hours each way and there is no drone in the interior at all on the highway.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

from what i know the areochamber will be the quieter one.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Launching!

the mag test indicates the maxflow will be quiter at 2000rpm and much louder at WOT. So far I love the way my maxflow sounds.

If there is anyone in tucson that wants to meet up i would love to hear aerochamber catback too.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by 7plagues
If there is anyone in tucson that wants to meet up i would love to hear aerochamber catback too.
You may want to post that in the Western members forum where there'd be a better chance of finding somebody in Tuscon. Ideally, someone with an Aerochamber on stock manifolds and cats so the comparison would be apples to apples.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your looking for reasonably quiet normal driving, performance at WOT check out edelbrock RPM. this was recommended by my local speed shop. the muffler has 3 straight thru aprox 1 inch tubes inside. i'm older and have a sensitive ear and this exhaust doesnt bother me at all. just my 2 cents. ultra quiet would be SLP dual / dual muffler but more expensive.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure about the aerochamber but my magnaflow was quiet when cruising and on the highway but would SCREAM at wot.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Why would you want a quiet muffler......I want to suffer when I drive....
Old 10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Why would you want a quiet muffler......I want to suffer when I drive....
Just curious. I've heard the Aerochamber in various applications and know how it sounds. I have one on my M6 car. Wondering how the Maxflow sounds in comparison.

If you want to suffer, GMMG+ORY+LT's. An ecstasy of aural pain awaits you ...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting tired of your GMMG

If you are, i will take your powerpack off your hands..

Whats the scoop?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Launching!

I can post up more vids tomorrow of how the exhaust sounds, I'm kinda confused how the other vids I posted don't convey how maxflow sounds.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Pontiacerator

Get some new vids up - I'd like to hear more. Apparently your system is pretty unusual - maybe one of one. So far no one else with a Maxflow has stepped forward.

As the weather gets colder, my GMMG gets progressively louder ... toying with the idea of something quieter, lighter, simpler ...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Get some new vids up - I'd like to hear more. Apparently your system is pretty unusual - maybe one of one. So far no one else with a Maxflow has stepped forward.

As the weather gets colder, my GMMG gets progressively louder ... toying with the idea of something quieter, lighter, simpler ...
You don't like your GMMG then anymore Are you cammed? BTW like i said if you do decide to get rid of your GMMG would you be willing to sell your powerpack?

thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Pontiacerator

No, I'm not cammed, but on a cold morning, between the noisy LS1 motor, 3600 stall, and GMMG, it pounds on the eardrums till it warms up. I've thought of running a quieter set-up in winter and putting the GMMG back on in spring.

Really, I'm not unhappy with my sound, just tossing around ideas in my mind ... changing things just for the sake of change. I'll probably keep my I w/powerpack, because that's essential to keeping rasp down. I had an Aerochamber on it for a while before the powerpack ... it was quieter but still raspy.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
No, I'm not cammed, but on a cold morning, between the noisy LS1 motor, 3600 stall, and GMMG, it pounds on the eardrums till it warms up. I've thought of running a quieter set-up in winter and putting the GMMG back on in spring.

Really, I'm not unhappy with my sound, just tossing around ideas in my mind ... changing things just for the sake of change. I'll probably keep my I w/powerpack, because that's essential to keeping rasp down. I had an Aerochamber on it for a while before the powerpack ... it was quieter but still raspy.

Well that is why you need to store you car over winter, that way in spring it will be all ready to go....

That is what i do. Drive my car when it is cold with my cam