Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Edelbrock LSx Intake Manifold at SEMA, claiming much more power than FAST

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should have known edlebrock would screw up one of their only good ideas...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

well some of us are still interested

36hp huh? wonder what kinda motor that was on...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure it was a mild heads and cam 346.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to many intakes for the f-body and vettes out there , its time for us hot rodders , truck , and better than f-body cars to get some dues

LOL

ill have to ditch my strut bar , and possibly go to a cowl hood , but worth it
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ummm most of you guys are talking about the pro flo EFI set-up. but thats not for f-bodies. this is the edelbrock one that is!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...victor-jr.html
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
ummm most of you guys are talking about the pro flo EFI set-up. but thats not for f-bodies. this is the edelbrock one that is!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...victor-jr.html
We are very aware what intake we are talking about. We were speculating as to weather or not it will clear the cowl area and we have determined it will not. Here is a cad layout of the intake. Im not sure how exact it is but I snagged it from another board.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this intake coming out this month or the next?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

so a friend of mine has the carb style intake and the low rise elbow. from valley cover to top of TB is 9" which is about 3/4" shorter than this new deal. looks like I may go with the carb style and elbow insted
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

****** Edelcock jackin it all up again...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

everyone keeps saying that edelbrock screwed up. They made this intake more for the hot rodders/engine swaps where older cars have more room. If they wanted it to fit in a f body they sure could designed an intake to fit but they chose not to.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
everyone keeps saying that edelbrock screwed up. They made this intake more for the hot rodders/engine swaps where older cars have more room. If they wanted it to fit in a f body they sure could designed an intake to fit but they chose not to.
AMEN!
Ive always wondered why there seems to be so much hostility amongst the LSX crowd for the hallowed old names of hot rodding like edelbrock, Comp, flowmaster etc... Hell if it werent for these guys our hobby wouldnt exist in the form it does today.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
to many intakes for the f-body and vettes out there ...
There's only one that's worth anything and isn't an OEM piece. And I'm pretty sure that anything that f-body guys can use, you can use. And they will be made in bigger volumes and may sell for less.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

If they could they would. They can't.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
If they could they would. They can't.

They cant? I guess thats why they are able to design multiple manifold for every major domestic car company out there, They made a dang manifold for a honda, come on, they could make an intake that would fit in a f body, but why when theres already enough out there.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Teching In

They cant? I guess thats why they are able to design multiple manifold for every major domestic car company out there, They made a dang manifold for a honda, come on, they could make an intake that would fit in a f body, but why when theres already enough out there.
So you're telling me that since there are a hand full of intakes out there that fits the f-body Edelbrock should pass up the most popular body style and cut their profits in half to build an intake for swapped cars and trucks that makes up a very small percentage of the market? That doesnt make very good business sense. I dont think edelbrock could build a short runner intake that would fit in the f-body that made more power than the FAST so they did what they had to do to make more power, and now its usless to anyone but swap guys and maybe GTO owners with tall hoods.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie
So you're telling me that since there are a hand full of intakes out there that fits the f-body Edelbrock should pass up the most popular body style and cut their profits in half to build an intake for swapped cars and trucks that makes up a very small percentage of the market? That doesnt make very good business sense. I dont think edelbrock could build a short runner intake that would fit in the f-body that made more power than the FAST so they did what they had to do to make more power, and now its usless to anyone but swap guys and maybe Vette owners with tall hoods.
How do you know that the swapped engine market is a very small market? On the power tour, I saw almost as many older cars with swapped in ls1's as I did see fourth gen f-bodies. Obviously Edelbrock has done pretty well over the years catering to those guys. Maybe Edelbrock knows that to compete on the f-body market, it's got to compete against FAST and they may not want to.

Fact is old school hotrodders are into metal intake manifolds and that's where Edelbrock shines. I love the look of this manifold, and the performance gains are that much better, but unless I want to drop my k-member an inch, and cut my cowl and windshield wipers, it's not going to happen, but I bet it would fit in a first gen with no problems.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
How do you know that the swapped engine market is a very small market? On the power tour, I saw almost as many older cars with swapped in ls1's as I did see fourth gen f-bodies. Obviously Edelbrock has done pretty well over the years catering to those guys. Maybe Edelbrock knows that to compete on the f-body market, it's got to compete against FAST and they may not want to.

Fact is old school hotrodders are into metal intake manifolds and that's where Edelbrock shines. I love the look of this manifold, and the performance gains are that much better, but unless I want to drop my k-member an inch, and cut my cowl and windshield wipers, it's not going to happen, but I bet it would fit in a first gen with no problems.
exactly......................! I laugh when i hear people say huge successful multi-million dollar companies are stupid.... you do it then!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

So true, some people just don't realize that the world is bigger than them and their specific needs. F-bodys are a huge market for the LS series but there is a larger market than us out there.

I still can't wait to see how this does...who knows as you said before, hotrodding is built on the ideals of customizing and making things work. I know I may be trying some things and taking measurements to possibly make it work
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

This engine has been out for 12 years and Edelbrock makes just about everything for it. They make heads, cams, headers, throttle bodies, 3 different carb style intakes, timing covers, fuel rails, coil covers, etc,...

If they could make an intake that would fit an f-body that would be worth a ****, they would. They just can't. You say there's enough out there already? That's stupid for a couple of reasons.

For one, I don't think that just because they're are plenty of other options that they still wouldn't look into it. They make a damn throttle body for god's sake. How many throttle bodies are out there for these engines? It costs more than half of what they would probably charge for an intake and offers very little gain over a non ported stock piece.

And two, they're aren't that many LS1 intakes out there. There is only one that really offers any gain and it's priced on up there. And the few aluminum LS6 copies don't offer any gains and just add weight and heat soak.

If Edelbrock could come up with something that offered a solid 10 hp gain over an LS6 intake and priced similar to this new piece. It would sell like crazy. I'm sure in the last 12 years the idea was on the drawing board along with the other products they offer, but it's still not here. Which means they probably tried and came up with a product that had very little value yet a high price tag.

Look how everyone rejoiced when Weiand showed an LS style intake that would offer decent gains for less money than a fast. So you can't say that the demand isn't there. But what happened to that intake? It either costs too much to make for the price they need to sell it for or it doesn't offer the gains that it needs to or both.

Can they make an intake to fit an f-body? Yes. Would it sell? Doubtful. So yeah, they can't do it.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
This engine has been out for 12 years and Edelbrock makes just about everything for it. They make heads, cams, headers, throttle bodies, 3 different carb style intakes, timing covers, fuel rails, coil covers, etc,...

If they could make an intake that would fit an f-body that would be worth a ****, they would. They just can't. You say there's enough out there already? That's stupid for a couple of reasons.

For one, I don't think that just because they're are plenty of other options that they still wouldn't look into it. They make a damn throttle body for god's sake. How many throttle bodies are out there for these engines? It costs more than half of what they would probably charge for an intake and offers very little gain over a non ported stock piece.

And two, they're aren't that many LS1 intakes out there. There is only one that really offers any gain and it's priced on up there. And the few aluminum LS6 copies don't offer any gains and just add weight and heat soak.

If Edelbrock could come up with something that offered a solid 10 hp gain over an LS6 intake and priced similar to this new piece. It would sell like crazy. I'm sure in the last 12 years the idea was on the drawing board along with the other products they offer, but it's still not here. Which means they probably tried and came up with a product that had very little value yet a high price tag.

Look how everyone rejoiced when Weiand showed an LS style intake that would offer decent gains for less money than a fast. So you can't say that the demand isn't there. But what happened to that intake? It either costs too much to make for the price they need to sell it for or it doesn't offer the gains that it needs to or both.

Can they make an intake to fit an f-body? Yes. Would it sell? Doubtful. So yeah, they can't do it.

EXACTLY! We all understand this will fit the swap crowd, but why not have it fit both the swaps and fbodies. Why do you think this thread and the Street warrior are hyped so bad. Everyone keeps giving in to new FASTS cause thats really the only good option, beside single planes or ls6. I agree, they couldn't make one that fit.

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock LSx Intake Manifold at SEMA, claiming much more power than FAST