Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 IM swap on 99 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 IM swap on 99 T/A

Hey guys, I'm buying a used LS6 IM from a LS1tech member. He doesn't have the bolts for the LS6 IM. I tried to look up the part #s for each bolt kit and could only find a part # for the LS6 bolt kit. (LS6 intake manifold bolt = 12552344) Does this mean they are both the same?

The question is, will my stock LS1 IM bolts work with the LS6 or do I need to buy the bolts listed above?

Thanx
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blubox
Hey guys, I'm buying a used LS6 IM from a LS1tech member. He doesn't have the bolts for the LS6 IM. I tried to look up the part #s for each bolt kit and could only find a part # for the LS6 bolt kit. (LS6 intake manifold bolt = 12552344) Does this mean they are both the same?

The question is, will my stock LS1 IM bolts work with the LS6 or do I need to buy the bolts listed above?

Thanx
The bolts from the ls1 intake will work on the ls6 intake.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conan
The bolts from the ls1 intake will work on the ls6 intake.
Thanx for the quick reply Conan.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heres a pic of both ls1 on the left ls6 on the right. The only differance is the bottom of the ls6 is flat which makes it flow better = more power. Also the ls6 doesn't have the egr hole.
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE009.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Thanx again for your help. $300 for a LS6 IM and a MTI ported TB is a great deal wouldn't you agree? Is it even possible to sell off a 99 LS1 intake? I would be happy to get anything for it.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya $300 is a good deal for all that. I paid $360 for just my ls6 intake. Also I dont think you'll get many takers on the ls1 intake with how cheap the ls6's are these days.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

No one will buy the ls1 intake. Just keep it incase you have a problem in the future.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Launching!

That's what I was thinking. Just incase me or a buddy has a problem down the road I'll have it laying around. It's already got the egr plug in it too so it definately wouldn't be worth selling for like 30 bucks just to need it in the future.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Ok, so I looked around locally and cheapest I could find the front colant pipe for was like $60(want to do it today, don't have paypal/credit card to order offline). I know a lot of people on here have said there LS6 swap went well with just chisling the ribs off and using the old coolant lines. So does this mean when I do the swap I just follow the swap write up off LS1howto.com but just leave all my hoses under the IM in addition to gently flattening the tubes?

I'm pretty sure I got this under controll but if anyone has a few tips for doing the LS6 IM swap besides just linking the ls1howto.com write up I would appreciate it very much so.

Thanx in advance.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blubox
Ok, so I looked around locally and cheapest I could find the front colant pipe for was like $60(want to do it today, don't have paypal/credit card to order offline). I know a lot of people on here have said there LS6 swap went well with just chisling the ribs off and using the old coolant lines. So does this mean when I do the swap I just follow the swap write up off LS1howto.com but just leave all my hoses under the IM in addition to gently flattening the tubes?

I'm pretty sure I got this under controll but if anyone has a few tips for doing the LS6 IM swap besides just linking the ls1howto.com write up I would appreciate it very much so.

Thanx in advance.
Just knock off the ribs off the bottom of the intake and take all the tape and plastic crap off the coolant tubes/ knock sensor wiring.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Well the good news is I swapped the intake tonight. The bad news is I broke my damn oil pressure sensor...In addition to having a gaping whole in my pcv hose. So it looks like I'll be taking the intake back off tomarrow and replacing the sensor and pcv hoses. Also the car idled a lil high but the ported intake was matched for a heads an cam car so it had a bigger whole drilled. So I'm hoping that's just a tune issue. Also the throttle body was sticking.

I know I have a different cam gear on my TB then the one I bought from him. So the cables were a little loose and I didn't see any place to adjust my cables. The damn throttle body was sticking open. I tap the gas just a little bit to raise the RPMs to 1500 and they would stay there.

Besides fixing the obvious problems and getting a tune is there any advice from you guys out there? Anything from your LS6 swaps. Anybody have these issues in the past?

Last edited by blubox; 12-06-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i too just swapped my LS6 intake tonight. i dont see how anyone could break the oil pressure sender. i finished the swap in about an hour. great results.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Well that's really fast for never having done it, took me a few hours from start to finish. Did you put a different TB on yours? That's the reason my ***** sticking now is from the ported TB. Did you get great results right away with no tune?

I talked to a few people and they said that it's a common problem when pulling a motor or changing an intake to break that sender. I don't even remember breaking it, when I got the intake off it was broke so I'm thinking the buddy I had with me may have done it when I asked him to push from the back he went too far back and didn't know what he was pulling on thinknig it was the intake. Either way, it's a 10 year old piece of plastic that's really brittle.

The good news is I got the oil pressure sender ordered today for 44 bucks and got some hose to fix my PCV. I'm going to put my stock TB back on and see what happens. BTW I was looking for advice.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

You'll love the ls6 intake. I picked up 2mph in the 1/4mile with mine.

For the throttle body. Mine was sticking, so I loosened the screws on the blade and kept flipping it open and closed so it would recenter itself and i have not had a problem since. Maybe that will work for you.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheLSgun
You'll love the ls6 intake. I picked up 2mph in the 1/4mile with mine.

For the throttle body. Mine was sticking, so I loosened the screws on the blade and kept flipping it open and closed so it would recenter itself and i have not had a problem since. Maybe that will work for you.
Thanx gun,

So after you fliped it a few times you just retightened the screws? I need to get the car out of my buddys driveway so i'm just gonna put my old one on then do what you said. I'm having the car tuned on tuesday so maybe I'll put it back on then. The guys as G-Force told me just to leave my stock one on there for the tune because they have so many problems with the ported throttle bodies. I may just buy a brand name TB.

I'm wanting to do every single bolt on possible before I pay the $500 to get it tuned(minus H/C). So far I got..MSD wires, NGK plugs, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY (ordered a cutout today), SLOWMaster cat back, LS6 Intake, Free air mod (Still looking for a cheap LID) my lid has the baffles removed (home made) Ordered the 160 degree thermostate. Bought a SLP 25% underdrive pulley to put on before the tune. I think I'm just lacking the lid/smooth bellows and TB. I also want to get SFCs, panhard bars, rear sway, and other suspension mods.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Ya, plans sound good.

I have pretty much full bolt ons and have not gotten my car tuned yet either. IMO there is no point in getting a tune right now if your going to be installing a cam and/or heads within a reasonable amount of time. Better to just wait and save the extra cash.

Let me know if that straightens out your throttle body.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Well I decided to just throw my stock TB on the LS6 IM. It fixed the problem obviously so I'll be tinkering with the ported TB and possibly putting it back on there. So tomarrow I'm gonna get to take the whole damn thing back off and replace the oil pressure sender. While I'm in there I'm going to be replacing the pcv hoseing with some hose from the auto parts store.

One question I have is how to take off that fitting that holds the sensor, brake booster hose and AC hose at the back of the manifold. The little clip that holds that manifold pressure sensor is broke off and I have it held in with RTV right now. The one on my old manifold is good though. Sucks I didn't realise it until after I started taking the old manifold off. Seems to be holding up well so far.

With the stock TB back on and the car running good I got to actually feel the power that the IM added. Nice, not like OMG nice, but nice none the less. Thanx again for everyones help.

Next week I'm putting on the under drive pulley, anyone have a suggestion on what belts to use with the SLP 25% ? I saw the ones that weren't V rib, anybody have luck with those?