Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I sealed my airbox completely....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would adding more air in give you more mileage?

You add more air, the computer adds more fuel.

Where's your mileage?

If anything, putting seals in could only reduce any possible heat coming in, but probably won't.

Having a seal there is making the engine work harder because it has to funnel it all up through your "ram air" vent.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross

Where's your mileage?

If anything, putting seals in could only reduce any possible heat coming in, but probably won't.

Having a seal there is making the engine work harder because it has to funnel it all up through your "ram air" vent.
you must not know the laws of physics son huh
Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
you must not know the laws of physics son huh
Nah, just the laws of clever marketing

Explain how a FTRA would give you better mileage. No I'm not searching it. You explain it to me.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, just the laws of clever marketing

Explain how a FTRA would give you better mileage. No I'm not searching it. You explain it to me.
It is not marketing Chrs1313 did lots of tests with it. A hwy run coming home from college he saw 2+mpg increase
Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my FRA, I can think of more creative things to call it, especially looking at the during pics that I will not post up.
I put that wiring loom in there to hide it from under the hood.
I also remounted the trans cooler right in front of the pass side fan, and programmed the fan to come on at a lower temp to draw air through in an attempt to keep hot air from rising up.
The trans runs cooler. But a cold front came in so I don't know about the FRA yet. PS: that is the A/C condenser.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

It is not marketing Chrs1313 did lots of tests with it. A hwy run coming home from college he saw 2+mpg increase
Yeah, I saw his 40 threads that all said the same thing.

I saw a 2mpg increase from overinflating my tires. Now thats physics. All that dryer vent is doing is delaying your intake from sucking up cool air. When you're moving, it really makes very little difference with the temperature. FRA = FTRA when moving. As for the whole "ram air" thing.. I saw 0.5-0.7 POSITIVE vacuum with my FRA. From what I can recall from chris' thread, he only saw 0.3. And both of these "ram air" intakes aren't really ram air at all. 0.7 is still well within the range of normal vacuum that an engine could pull at WOT.

You guys bought marketing. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Where's your mileage?

Same way a CAI does - engine is more efficient and requires less throttle to get the job done.

There have been several threads in here with pretty solid proof, including ET + 1/4mile times and even some VE measurements, IIRC. I'll see if I can find the threads.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Check out my FRA, I can think of more creative things to call it, especially looking at the during pics that I will not post up.
I put that wiring loom in there to hide it from under the hood.
I also remounted the trans cooler right in front of the pass side fan, and programmed the fan to come on at a lower temp to draw air through in an attempt to keep hot air from rising up.
The trans runs cooler. But a cold front came in so I don't know about the FRA yet. PS: that is the A/C condenser.
My FRA is about that aggressive, but I chose to keep the radiator brace. Nice set up, really is.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I saw his 40 threads that all said the same thing.

I saw a 2mpg increase from overinflating my tires. Now thats physics. All that dryer vent is doing is delaying your intake from sucking up cool air. When you're moving, it really makes very little difference with the temperature. FRA = FTRA when moving. As for the whole "ram air" thing.. I saw 0.5-0.7 POSITIVE vacuum with my FRA. From what I can recall from chris' thread, he only saw 0.3. And both of these "ram air" intakes aren't really ram air at all. 0.7 is still well within the range of normal vacuum that an engine could pull at WOT.

You guys bought marketing. Have fun.
you're really an idiot First of all, my ram air and Chris's ram air is not made from dryer vent. It is made from aluminum, and is identical to the FTRA!!!!!

I really think you need to read this article. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm Pay attention to Table 1 vs. Table 2..

And if you chose not to read it, the FTRA showed an increase of 0.9 percent over the stock configuration. Third gear showed the exact same increase over the stock configuration. A 0.9 percent increase in volumetric efficiency stuffs an extra 31 cubic inches of air into the engine.

Like i said, this is proven, chris has proven it with ets lower IATs and what not. Jump on the bandwagon and help us promote our marketing skills
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is sealing your airbox going to give you better throttle response and better gas mileage?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

come on people, these arguments are like saying the stock intake stuff is fine, no reason to get a lid.
As far as sealing off the airbox well it seems to me you seal it off so hot engine compartment air isnt getting into the intake, also the turbulence your getting from having different streams of air ram into each other is detrimental. Id rather have one solid steady stream of cold air ramming into my manifold then a dozen different air streams jostling for entry, some cool and some around 200 degrees.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

you're really an idiot First of all, my ram air and Chris's ram air is not made from dryer vent. It is made from aluminum, and is identical to the FTRA!!!!!

I really think you need to read this article. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm Pay attention to Table 1 vs. Table 2..

And if you chose not to read it, the FTRA showed an increase of 0.9 percent over the stock configuration. Third gear showed the exact same increase over the stock configuration. A 0.9 percent increase in volumetric efficiency stuffs an extra 31 cubic inches of air into the engine.

Like i said, this is proven, chris has proven it with ets lower IATs and what not. Jump on the bandwagon and help us promote our marketing skills

So for an extra 0.2 vacuum I should spend $200?

Why not just get some slicks, you'll see a definite improvement at the track.

Besides chris and install university, where are your other independent testers.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
How is sealing your airbox going to give you better throttle response and better gas mileage?
what part of adding a ram air kit did you miss ?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

So for an extra 0.2 vacuum I should spend $200?

Why not just get some slicks, you'll see a definite improvement at the track.

Besides chris and install university, where are your other independent testers.
Every bit helps, that's why. Fasttoys also reported what they saw and got as testers as well.

There's not a single test that shows it NOT working, and plenty that say it does - there's a total lack of evidence to support an argument that it doesn't work. 10-15 extra HP is worth 200, especially if you've done the other mods (and it's even more if you've done the other modifications).
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Aside from any potential performance gain, I think the primary reason you want to be sure your lid has a good seal is to properly filter the air coming into your engine. If you have gaps around the lid, there's a pretty good chance you're going to be sucking dust and crap into your engine.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Every bit helps, that's why. Fasttoys also reported what they saw and got as testers as well.

There's not a single test that shows it NOT working, and plenty that say it does - there's a total lack of evidence to support an argument that it doesn't work. 10-15 extra HP is worth 200, especially if you've done the other mods (and it's even more if you've done the other modifications).
Can you find some of these pages? I'm interested now.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
what part of adding a ram air kit did you miss ?
What? Huh? The title is " So I sealed my airbox completely" WTF does a ram air kit have to do with my question? Stop being a smartass since you don't have anything to add to my question...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikey67
Aside from any potential performance gain, I think the primary reason you want to be sure your lid has a good seal is to properly filter the air coming into your engine. If you have gaps around the lid, there's a pretty good chance you're going to be sucking dust and crap into your engine.
Thank you for a mature response, but I still don't understand how the original poster thinks that he will see any performance gain or mileage increase?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

agreed, I don't think you're going to see major hp gains from any of this what I will say is this. I fully intend on putting foam to seal my airbox up, not for hp gains but to keep crap from by-passing my filter. I think that is #1 priority anyway and its accomplished that. End of story, just my .02$
Old 02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
01z
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
so do i just need to cut the piece under the filter to achieve this???

right now i just have a slp lid, so it still sucks in the air from the front

Quick Reply: So I sealed my airbox completely....