Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I sealed my airbox completely....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
1. I personally don't like the free ram air because you let air that was meant for the radiator go to the engine number 1 and number 2 it gets hot as F*&# idling or once warmed up. Moving along though it works, I have two dirty *** spots on my old filter that indicate air was slamming into it where the hole was cut below it. IMO the high IATs are the problem and the free ram air works at speed but doesn't solve the low speed issues except maybe a little less restriction which would help some.

2. Air dam under the car does it. Some guys overheat if it isn't under the car because it directs that much air.

Wasn't trying to be a dick sorry if I came across that way but your answer is found with search.
I did the FRA this summer and it didnt take long to see those dirty spots so its definitely forcing air up there, but I never noticed any considerable gain. I just chalk it up in the every little bit counts part. I never noticed the car getting any hotter than normal though. One day Ill probably step too the FTRA and thier larger lid as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
You'll have to cut it unless you want to make some sort of crazy flat slit thing. 10x easier to cut. You never see it

LOL nope never. Maybe I should look into it???

Pop is a plumber though.......You should see my "custom" copper nitrous line complete with home made jets LOL It's not installed yet but it's close. Can't beat free.
no radiator cutting with my custom ram air...u do have to cut the V bracket though at the bottom of the hood latch...not really needed though since it is held in with 4 10mm bolts...
Old 02-22-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting some bugs and stuff on my maf screen and I have the factory lid with the k&n filter. I have only found a small gap at the outlet duct on the botton only. I have the weatherstrip on the lid that came in the box with the filter. Would I benefit by adding more weatherstipping to my stock box to prevent any trash getting in?

Quick Reply: So I sealed my airbox completely....