Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Racing Headers are installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
Are there EGR connections on both headers? I thought when i looked at my manifolds I had an EGR on both sides? raining to hard atm to look again. Just curious is all, still be a bit before I order my ARH.
Yeah, you order the header with or without them.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found a better picture showing both EGR connections. Others I saw showed just one.
So sorry if that was an ignorant question. Just doing lots of research so when I order mine, gonna try and get them on myself to save some $ and apply that savings towards a tune.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are there EGR connections on both headers? I thought when i looked at my manifolds I had an EGR on both sides? raining to hard atm to look again. Just curious is all, still be a bit before I order my ARH.
I see that you have an '01; someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you should not have EGR at all. You will have the AIR system; which does connect to both headers.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
I see that you have an '01; someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you should not have EGR at all. You will have the AIR system; which does connect to both headers.
Thats correct, I forgot about that. Mines an 01 and I have 2 being the AIR.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok. They both accomplish the samething?? lol
Either way, I was just making sure. And yep, I got 2 of those suckers. I see a lot of people eliminated AIR, what is the benefit of doing so?

I'm gonna stay emissions friendly, so I'm definitely going with the catted y.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Nothing really, just cleans up the engine bay and gets rid of all the rubber hoses. Doesnt do anything performance wise.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camarosam22
Nothing really, just cleans up the engine bay and gets rid of all the rubber hoses. Doesnt do anything performance wise.
Ah ok. I'll just leave mine intact. Now I just have to debate if it is worth my frustration when I order mine if I'm going to put it all together myself or not. Hope it will hook up to the factory catback. Looking for that stealth look. With those little pea-shooter exhaust tips! Sorry, had a few crown and cokes. Spelling is still spot on though.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sleepinghawk, did you also change your motormounts before putting the headers on? If so, had a question about that too.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleepinghawk, did you also change your motormounts before putting the headers on? If so, had a question about that too.
No, I saw no reason to do that. Did alot of research on it, but mine were fine. Damn I love these headers! I had a guy on a Harley look over his shoulder very quickly (surprised) when I went WOT beside him in 2nd and his hog was loud
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Ohhh I'm jealous! I get my Hawk out of the shop tomorrow with ARHs and 4:10s on. Can't wait!!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Car sounds great sleepinghawk. I plan to install a catted Y with my LT install matched to my LM1. Like you said, I'm a little scared its going to be obnoxious loud. I'm hoping the cats help to tame it some. If it turns out close to what yours sounds like, I'll be satisfied. Good job man, again, your car sounds awsome.
Thanks Mumbles! Sorry man, I missed this reply. The cats do tame it. I have no complaints with the LM1 with ARHeaders and their catted Y!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

ya +1 I love ARH headerz!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
No, I saw no reason to do that. Did alot of research on it, but mine were fine. Damn I love these headers! I had a guy on a Harley look over his shoulder very quickly (surprised) when I went WOT beside him in 2nd and his hog was loud
I'm about to roll over 40k on the odom, I imagine mine will be fine when it comes time to get them. My formula had kooks with catted y and lm1, and it was crazy loud, so I definitely can understand his expression. One day at a stop light I was next to an ****, and he just kept on doing revs like most of those idiots, so i started to rev the formula up. I was louder! hehe

Originally Posted by LastHawk
Ohhh I'm jealous! I get my Hawk out of the shop tomorrow with ARHs and 4:10s on. Can't wait!!
Atleast you already got yours! =p I have to start all over modding mine.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LastHawk
Yea, with those gears she is going to be screaming good! I stayed with the 3:73.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry another question! How much are those easy seal bands? Are they one size fits all or are they a certain length for our cars?

I see you have 3 clamps in the pic, where did you put the easy seals?

Again I apologize, just getting all the knowledge I can, so when I order mine and put them on, I know exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry another question! How much are those easy seal bands? Are they one size fits all or are they a certain length for our cars?

Again I apologize, just getting all the knowledge I can, so when I order mine and put them on, I know exactly what I'm looking for.
No problem TurdsOfMayhem! Those bands I never used. I had picked them up at a place near work called (Northern Va Supply) mostly a place for big trucks. I thought I was going to be able to use them but found no place to put them on. They were 3" bands. They are stainless except the bolt, and they were kinda cheap, that's why I picked them up. I was trying like you to make sure I had everything. Everything I needed came with the headers.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We used those type of clamps for a buddy's header/catback install on his 98 Z28. He found them at NAPA and you can get them in whatever size exhaust you are using. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the stainless bandclamps and use them all the time. They work well, there are a few version of them out there. A really cheap version and then a version for about 14-17 that works well.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well Blanco,

Thanks for your PM response on headers. I will be buying them from you as soon as the funds become available. I'll probably call ya on the phone to make sure I don't forget to have you send me something. Man I am so excited! Hope the install goes well for my uncle and I. Were using my car as the guinea pig to see if when he gets his, if we will do his Z28 or not.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since this seems to be the definitive ARH + LM thread, I figured I would post up my results as well!!
Dyno Video Put down 331 RWHP / 327 RWTQ (on a Mustang Dyno) after the install and Slowhawk's tune handy work.
and that is with:
American Racing Headers 1 3/4" stainless LT headers (race style)
American Racing Headers 3" stainless cat'd Y-pipe

Quick Reply: American Racing Headers are installed