Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do injectors go bad from sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do injectors go bad from sitting?

I have had a set of stock 1999 Covette injectors with about 65k miles on them sitting for about 3-4 years. I never took them out of the intake manifold and I never took the fuel rail off, however the intake manifold has been off the car for a few years. This whole assembly was sitting in a heated garage which doesn't go below 50 degrees.

I want to use them in my project car. Think they are still good? Good enough to break in the engine?

Thanks, -Dave
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They should be fine.

If you want to be sure, just set the tips in a cup of seafoam and let them set for a day or so, that should clean out any junk that is built up in the pintle of the injector.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I have had a set of stock 1999 Covette injectors with about 65k miles on them sitting for about 3-4 years. I never took them out of the intake manifold and I never took the fuel rail off, however the intake manifold has been off the car for a few years. This whole assembly was sitting in a heated garage which doesn't go below 50 degrees.

I want to use them in my project car. Think they are still good? Good enough to break in the engine?

Thanks, -Dave
I can almost guarantee those injectors are rusty, stuck, and/or have clogged filter baskets. I just went through a similar situation.

I purchased a set of Bosch Design III 36 lb/hr from a guy that put 500 miles on them. I let them sit in my garage for a year before I was about to install them. I talked to Rich at Fuel Injector Connection, FICINJECTORS, and asked your exact question. It turns out injectors do have a shelf life. If they have had fuel or cleaning fluid ran through them, they must be used immediately. If they are going to be stored for any length of time they need a special fluid ran through them to prevent sticking and rusting. It turned out that I had one bad injector and the others flowed 3% less than actual rating. Jon Banner at Fuel Injector Connection ordered a new injector and performed their restoration service on the others. The result is all eight injectors now flow within .3% of each other.

You can run them, but I can guarantee you are taking a HUGE risk. Heck, you can get a set of Bosch Design III 32 - 48 lb/hr @ 3 bar injectors for $239. At that kind of money, it's not worth the potential for engine damage.

JMHO....

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 02-03-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I can almost guarantee those injectors are rusty, stuck, and/or have clogged filter baskets. I just went through a similar situation.

I purchased a set of Bosch Design III 36 lb/hr from a guy that put 500 miles on them. I let them sit in my garage for a year before I was about to install them. I talked to Rich at Fuel Injector Connection, FICINJECTORS, and asked your exact question. It turns out injectors do have a shelf life. If they have had fuel or cleaning fluid ran through them, they must be used immediately. If they are going to be stored for any length of time they need a special fluid ran through them to prevent sticking and rusting. It turned out that I had one bad injector and the others flowed 3% less than actual rating. Jon Banner at Fuel Injector Connection ordered a new injector and performed their restoration service on the others. The result is all eight injectors now flow within .3% of each other.

You can run them, but I can guarantee you are taking a HUGE risk. Heck, you can get a set of Bosch Design III 32 - 48 lb/hr @ 3 bar injectors for $239. At that kind of money, it's not worth the potential for engine damage.

JMHO....
My friend just installed a Ford 5.0 HO motor out of a '94 Mustang in his truck, and it was sitting in a salvage yard for a while. Still has original injectors, and it runs just fine.

I told him they would probably be stuck and/or gummed up, but to my surprise, they work perfectly fine.

I guess perhaps he was just lucky.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
My friend just installed a Ford 5.0 HO motor out of a '94 Mustang in his truck, and it was sitting in a salvage yard for a while. Still has original injectors, and it runs just fine.

I told him they would probably be stuck and/or gummed up, but to my surprise, they work perfectly fine.

I guess perhaps he was just lucky.
Did you perform a cylinder balance test? Monitor bank-to-bank air/fuel ratio? Just because it runs doesn't mean the injectors are performing optimally.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, we have polar opposite responses. Thanks everyone for your input.

My parents run a salvage yard, and we have low-mile engines (2,000-30,000 miles) that sit on our racks for years before we sell them. I don't ever recall having an engine returned because of bad injectors, etc... and neither do they. I wonder if the stock injectors are a little more durable than aftermarket high performance ones?

Anybody else want to weigh in?

Is there any way I can clean or test the injectors that I have? What is that seafoam stuff?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel can sit in the rails for along time and gum up. I just pulled some that have set for 2 years and were full. Seafoam is a petroleum-based engine cleaner available in the parts stores (white can with red writing). Just soak your injectors over night in that stuff before you fire your engine. If you still suspect a problem with them then use a mail-order injector service. my .02
Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with these cats, just check em out to be safe, or be really safe and pick up a new set, especially if you're breaking in a new motor. Do it right the 1st time so you don't gotta be pissed when **** breaks from half assin it.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I took apart a fuel ral that had been sitting for at least a few years and there was something in the rail that I would not call gas - nasty stank of varnish even with being sprayed by carb cleaner it was still there- had the rail powdercoated (looks NICE!) and decided to buy some new injectors I figure I needed a little bigger with all I've done to the motor 36lb vs 28lb got some SVO redtops not worth risking since OE were borderline -my .02c

Quick Reply: Do injectors go bad from sitting?