Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHat is the best header on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question WHat is the best header on the market?

I am sure you have all had this question before and have answered it. Please answer it again.

I am about to buy a set of headers, I want to buy the best ones on the market. I am looking to replce the exhaust from the heads to the *** of the car. All of it. I will need Cats so what ever exhaust, header system/ kit you sujest should be a complete kit with the cats in place and working.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both QTP and FLP have some nice header systems, but I'm sure there are others also. It's expensive, so I just got the QTP headers and fabricated/modified the rest. It was a lot of work, but I'm very happy with the results. After the headers, I have a set of off-road pipes that I made with help from the local muffler shop. Then an SLP Y that I modified to fit. After that, an SLP Loud Mouth cat-back modified with a Borla XR1 Oval Offset muffler. This system is quiet until you put your foot in it, then it's NASCAR! Sometime before the next emissions check I'll pull the off-road pipes and put some cats on. I think the Random Tech metalic high flow cats are the best, but pricey.

At some point I will pull the Loud Mouth cat back off and put on a 3x4 Y pipe, and a 4 inch cat-back (the borla muffler is already 4 inch.) I haven't been able to find a stainless steel 4 inch catback, so I'll probably have to fab my own. Mufflex is the only company I know of that offers a 4 inch cat back.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:23 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no "best" LT, everybodies results will be a little different. your mostly paying for quality, fitment, and coating.

like cal said, QTP and FLP make some great setups, qtp's are stainless steel as are kooks headers. there pricey but if you can swing i'd definately check them out. the flp system is a package deal, it comes with LT's, Y pipe, cats and racing pipes and all the hardware you need. good thing about the flp setup is the option to swap from cats to racing pipes at will.

i myself run jet hot headers which are of good quality, for fitment on the drivers side i had to grind down the block tap on the engine to get it to slide in but once there in they fit fine, no rubbing or bangin. i run a custom 3" Y with carsound cats and a magnaflow catback. you can hear clips in my sig.

if you have the money i say go with kooks or qtp stainless steel headers and get some true duals made. the sound more the justifies the price and there not that expensive compared to a traditional Y/catback setup.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W/ coating a QTP will be $1,000. I have Jet Hots and had no problem installing them. I didn't have to grind anything. They run $511 shipped. I doubt the other headers make anymore power plus jet hot has the best coating.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I thought that FLP's were the best until mine started to rust with only 2500 miles on them and only a year old and parking my car all last winter.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
W/ coating a QTP will be $1,000. I have Jet Hots and had no problem installing them. I didn't have to grind anything. They run $511 shipped. I doubt the other headers make anymore power plus jet hot has the best coating.
qtp are stainless steel and dont use coating. and there only 799 direct from qtp for emissions headers and 724 for race headers.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, But from what I am gathering here, everyone thinks the long tube headers are the way to go. I was looking at the MAC headers with their cat and y pipe. Are y'all saying I will get better results with long tubes and that manufactures cats and y pipe? I might just go duel exhaust all the way out the back if there is any performance advandage to it.

So how does the Mac headers (mid lenght) compare to the long tubes ?

Thanks all.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Do you mean how do the Mac's compare to long tubes horsepower-wise? The SAM school did a dyno comparison with MAC's and Grot long tubes on a '99 SS. They got +17 hp from the MAC's, compared to +30 hp from the Grotyohan's. But that was on a '99; the difference will be even bigger on your 2002 because the stock manifolds are almost as good as shorty headers.

As far as the duals go, your stock single 2.75" I pipe has an aperature of 5.94 square inches; dual 2.5" pipes would be 9.81 sq. in., dual 3.0" pipes would be 14.14 sq in. Plus, if the duals end before the axle, that eliminates some back presure not having all those tight bends. Or you could go with a single 4.0" I pipe with an aperature of 12.57 sq. in. and go over the axle plus have better ground clearance than with the duals. It is difficult to get over the axle with duals. I'm going that route because ending the exhaust before the axle is illegal and causes you to breath a lot of exhaust fumes. Lung full of carbon-monoxide = big, throbing head-ache!

Last edited by Cal; 11-09-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

QTP headers and Corsa catback

The sound and performance makes me
Old 11-09-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is not ment to make fun of you Cal. I am trully impressed with the amount of thought you put into those numbers!! OUT ******* STANDING!! Dude you realy know your **** with this subject! I am trully impressed!

So it seems the mid length headers on an 02 would be a bit of a waist of money. OK, I can see that to be true. So that pushes me toward the long tube designs. I am not sure if I have ever seen any QTP headers. Who makes them and what sponsor carries them? It sounds like they my be the better header. I was kind of leaning to the Hooker long tube headers, but that is only because they are not too expensive and I have seen alot of the sponsors carry them. But if there are better ones out there that wil fit better, is easier to work on the car with them installed, last longer, and make more power, then those are what I am looking for. Does everyone agree the QTP's would fit that bill?

As far as what you are saying about duels verses a 4" I pipe. I can see how the 4" would make for a cleaner, and easier instalation. Ground clearance will be important on my car due to the fact I do a **** load of interstate driving. Some of the states I drive in have some major road problems to say the least. Plus the debri on the road. I dont want to loose my exhaust to a damm 18 wheeler tire on the interstate! I like the 4" idea pretty good. What size Y pipe do you sugest coming into the 4" I pipe? Who makes a muffler that will fit the 4" pipe? WHat size pipes exiting the muffler would you sugest? Seems like 2.5" y pipe and exit pipes would be big enough. What do you think?
Old 11-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Thanks, man I try to do my homework. Let be say though that cross sectional area (aperature) doesn't quite tell the whole picture. One tube of the same aperature as duals will flow a little better than the two pipes because it has less wall area for the exhaust gasses to rub against; so one more thing in favor or the 4 inch single I pipe. I'm using a Borla XR1 offset oval to get the 4 inch pipe size in a stainless steel muffler, but I'm sure there are others also, probably Spintech.

Last edited by Cal; 11-09-2003 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yes QTP does fit the bill.

You can buy them at the sponsor links on the right. The sponsor is Quick Time Performance, hence the name QTP
Old 11-09-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I think the Kooks deserve mention too.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cal
Lung full of carbon-monoxide = big, throbing head-ache!
Hypoxia, not a good thing. Too much = death
Old 11-09-2003, 08:19 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

qtp headers

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/

also if your still considering hookers i'd get the jet hots instead since jet hots use the same design as hooker but improved on it a bit. plus there cheaper
Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Hypoxia, not a good thing. Too much = death
Hypoxia is insidious in nature since it starts as a feeling of uphoria, then unconsciousness, then finally death. That means you get no warning because you are "happy" and think nothing in the world is wrong. Many many General Aviation pilots have fallen into that trap trying too fly high without oxygen.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
This is not ment to make fun of you Cal. I am trully impressed with the amount of thought you put into those numbers!! OUT ******* STANDING!! Dude you realy know your **** with this subject! I am trully impressed!

So it seems the mid length headers on an 02 would be a bit of a waist of money. OK, I can see that to be true. So that pushes me toward the long tube designs. I am not sure if I have ever seen any QTP headers. Who makes them and what sponsor carries them? It sounds like they my be the better header. I was kind of leaning to the Hooker long tube headers, but that is only because they are not too expensive and I have seen alot of the sponsors carry them. But if there are better ones out there that wil fit better, is easier to work on the car with them installed, last longer, and make more power, then those are what I am looking for. Does everyone agree the QTP's would fit that bill?

As far as what you are saying about duels verses a 4" I pipe. I can see how the 4" would make for a cleaner, and easier instalation. Ground clearance will be important on my car due to the fact I do a **** load of interstate driving. Some of the states I drive in have some major road problems to say the least. Plus the debri on the road. I dont want to loose my exhaust to a damm 18 wheeler tire on the interstate! I like the 4" idea pretty good. What size Y pipe do you sugest coming into the 4" I pipe? Who makes a muffler that will fit the 4" pipe? WHat size pipes exiting the muffler would you sugest? Seems like 2.5" y pipe and exit pipes would be big enough. What do you think?

Lanes also makes a 4 inch system. Also Magnaflow makes 4 inch single inlet/outlet mufflers as does Dynomax and Borla.....The Magnaflow flows a little more and is quiter.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kooks all the way - get them in stainless.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

The Lane's 4 inch system:

www.not-a-sponsor.com

Last edited by WILWAXU; 11-18-2003 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cal- I need your honest opinion. I have QTP race headers that go into a dual 3" into 4" Y-pipe and then into a loudmouth. I also have dual electric cutouts so this is why I want something quiet. I currently have the loudmouth which is raspy and loud as hell. I read your post last week when you first put your XR1 muffler on your car. You stated how quiet it was at idle and under 3k rpms but loud as hell 3k and up. This is EXCATLY what I'm looking for. I'm just hoping it is exactly as you describe. It also depends on what you consider quiet too. I want something that sounds as quiet as a loudmouth with stock manifolds and cats. How would you compare the XR1 with that? I have the QTP Y-pipe that Y's into a 4" out so I could hook up the XR1 4" perfectly to the Y-pipe without using a reducer, remove the LM resonator and use a 4-to-3 inch reducer into the tail-end of the LM.
I see you also have QTP headers- are you using their y-pipe? They have two, one with cutouts and one without. I'm not sure if the plain one has a 4" out. But if so, did the muffler hook straight up? The QTP Y-pipe is about 18 inches longer than most Y's out there so I'm wondering if it will even fit before the bend over the axle.
If I don't do the XR1 I will probably sell the LM and buy the Borla and another freaking elecrtic cutout. I'm hoping it will be pretty quiet through a closed borla. I would really appreciate your insight on this- thank you. Mike W.