Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me ID this Noise *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Me ID this Noise *Video*

This noise started a few days ago. I initially thought that is was an exhaust leak coming from the band clamp on my passenger side header collector. I had an exhaust shop seal up the band clamp and I'm sure that it's not leaking now, but the tick is still present.

Some info:
LPP stainless longtubes with new GM gaskets (EGR and Air removed).
It is coming from right behind the wheel on the passenger side.
Increases frequency when RPMs increase.
Same sound when the engine is warm & cold (always present).
Can't hear it in the engine bay.
I don't think it's valve train noise (used a screwdriver on the head to listen).

Maybe a weld on a primary broke? I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by schuby87; 08-01-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a similar issue, not sure what it is but is louder for me when the engine is cold than when it is warm. I'm installing longtubes soon so I was going to see if that made it go away. Sorry I can't offer any help. I'm curious to see what others say as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds normal to me?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

how bout the header flange bolts may have come loose if you used standard header gaskets could have burned out a section out
Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

I have the EXACT same noise. Cant figure it out for the life of me. I thought that it was header gasket, exhaust leak, blown weld....nope. Everything checks out and Im starting to think maybe its a bent PR or a lifter that is going.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

My car never made any noise before until today ....out doing a log for tuning before that stoped at wawa said let me look at belts almost off ....so put back on then on the highway do a wot run an bammm clunk crackel pop ....guess whats flying by my car going faster than me.....FUKING CRANK PULLEY ...not saying thats your problem just a maybe so check! you dont want something flying by your car at 100+mph sound just the same! same noise
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

mine does same noise sometimes, i think its just a lifter that tends to get stuck or is going bad..
Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by highway21
mine does same noise sometimes, i think its just a lifter that tends to get stuck or is going bad..
I thought that too but my car never ever made a ticking noise...maybe normal piston slap in the morning but never ticking then all of a sudden my crank pulley falls off on the same day the ticking starts
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I have the EXACT same noise. Cant figure it out for the life of me. I thought that it was header gasket, exhaust leak, blown weld....nope. Everything checks out and Im starting to think maybe its a bent PR or a lifter that is going.
If that was the case, wouldn't you be able to hear it if you put a stethpsope to the valve cover?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

just finished putting a new pulley back on an guess what no more noise aint that a bitch..hope you find out whats wrong with your car get a scope comes in real handy
Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Ive tried the stethoscope, but its very hard to pinpoint the noise. It sounds like its coming from the pass head and echoing through the header, but I cant quite tell. Im doing a H/C swap soon, so Ill be able to inspect everything from the head down through the headers.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Ive tried the stethoscope, but its very hard to pinpoint the noise. It sounds like its coming from the pass head and echoing through the header, but I cant quite tell. Im doing a H/C swap soon, so Ill be able to inspect everything from the head down through the headers.
Please report your findings, anxious to see what you think it is
Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Will do. Im working on getting the last couple of parts together now. It almost makes me not want to drive the car its so annoying
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hoping for some kind of update, tired of my car sounding like a wall clock haha
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I've researched this issue for the past year... Almost every cammed LS1 I've ever heard (say at around 20) made some valve train noise of one kind or another... Including mine. Some barely have a slight tick others have a very loud distinct tick. I've heard plenty of stock LS1's making the ticking noise too. Many have posted info about this. Many have tore down complete motors and rebuild them with new everything and still suffer from the tick. Mine was a come and go kind of pattern and after a few adjustments of my valvetrain (my rockers are adjustable) I minimized my tick. Ticking or not, I beat on mine regularly and don't have any problems. That's 10,000+ miles driven. I did notice that sustained high rpms would trigger my tick.

This really is a wonder of the LS1...
Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Forgot to mention... Headers amplify the noise. Less noise dampening compared to stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
I've researched this issue for the past year... Almost every cammed LS1 I've ever heard (say at around 20) made some valve train noise of one kind or another... Including mine. Some barely have a slight tick others have a very loud distinct tick. I've heard plenty of stock LS1's making the ticking noise too. Many have posted info about this. Many have tore down complete motors and rebuild them with new everything and still suffer from the tick. Mine was a come and go kind of pattern and after a few adjustments of my valvetrain (my rockers are adjustable) I minimized my tick. Ticking or not, I beat on mine regularly and don't have any problems. That's 10,000+ miles driven. I did notice that sustained high rpms would trigger my tick.

This really is a wonder of the LS1...
Not what I was hoping to hear So it could just be a "normal" thing and may not be the sign of bad things on the horizon?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Normal? Well it's certainly frequent. Some folks consider it normal but a perfect motor wouldn't tick so something is a little off... However I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets loud... yours sounds just like mine did. I could hear it with a stethoscope the valve cover bolts... It used to drive me nuts.

Also worth mentioning is the oil pickup tube O-ring. This O-ring is susceptible to issues. The theory is that the pickup tube will sometimes allow air in to the stream of oil going into the motor. The ticking occurs when the air passes thru and out the lifters thus causing the lifters to not pump up to capacity. I never checked mine.

Some claim to quiet it down with a particular oil. I use German Castrol and believe that it quieted down my motor.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine used to make that noise until i switched to thicker oil, just throwing that out there.

Quick Reply: Help Me ID this Noise *Video*