Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my hooker headers in today.....did i get ripped?? pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You look at this flange and tell me what is wrong with yours. It's gonna leak.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If a customer brought those headers with their car for me to install, I would refuse until a new set was swapped out.

Just sayin...
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't hooker headers have a metal plate on one of the primarys that say Hooker? Oh and there is no way I would use those headers. You will blow gaskets like mad with those junk flanges
Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the mechanic did say they will be fine.. lol use 5 tubes of gasket maker crap and bolt them on. you will be good to go..
Old 04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

You guys are off your rockers

Those flanges look fine. The ports may need some light cleaning up with a cutter, but the raised welds are A-ok. The main thing to check is that there is not weld splatter or excessive grooves in the raised areas. Generally a file will clean them up

Examples from a quick ebay search. In addition to these, both my hooker and headman SBC headers in my 3rd gen were raised like that along with several others Ive installed over the years
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PACES...item5ad831e0aa
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...item2302a63eff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JBA-C...item439e61004f

Hooker is very proud of their headers. If you dont have a hooker tag welded onto the #1 primary, they're not hookers
Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
You guys are off your rockers

Those flanges look fine. The ports may need some light cleaning up with a cutter, but the raised welds are A-ok. The main thing to check is that there is not weld splatter or excessive grooves in the raised areas. Generally a file will clean them up

Examples from a quick ebay search. In addition to these, both my hooker and headman SBC headers in my 3rd gen were raised like that along with several others Ive installed over the years
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PACES...item5ad831e0aa
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...item2302a63eff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JBA-C...item439e61004f

Hooker is very proud of their headers. If you dont have a hooker tag welded onto the #1 primary, they're not hookers
Um the primaries are sticking through the flange. Maybe you missed that part.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Look at the flanges on each of the linked headers. Same. Actually the primary isnt sticking through, the weld bead is and you can also see its been ground flat for a proper seal

Maybe you missed that
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first thought was there is no way those look right, but I am not sure. I did an image search for headers on google, most of the flanges were flat. Then I looked up hooker headers and a lot of them looked like yours. Those could all be defective ones, but I doubt that. Best bet would be to call and double check, hopefully they are ok.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

my TSP flanges were flat.....fit great......it looks as if the raised part will not fit the gasket so well......do you have some new GM gaskets??? look at them and you can see what i am sayin
Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who shipped them to you Hooker? If they did you may be **** out of luck as ws6 store will tell you if you bought from them then 'THEY (Hooker)' have to return it. They'll be happy with your money though. This is what happened to another member on LS1.com who just bitched about ordering from the ws6 store and couldnt return his coil overs because ws6 store didnt want to be stuck with them sitting around. Sounds like great customer service to me.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
well i just took these headers out to a GM mechanic to get his opinion and he said they look fine... he's going to be putting them on for me next saturday... he said there wasn't anything wrong with them and they would be fine....

do u guys think i should put them on or send them back? and a couple people said they look weird and look like knockoffs.... can you please specify exactly what it is about them that doesn't look right?
What the hell is wrong with you? I don't care what you are dealing with... If you say "The GM mechanic told me", chances are the statement you are about to make is incorrect.

I will NOT take my care or take advice from a "GM mechanic", they almost always know little to NOTHING about ls1.. Especially the aftermarket. The vast majority of them is a joke at best.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

ahhh hell put 5 headers gaskets on each side,3 tubes of gasket maker and 2 bandaids and call it a day
Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

c the differance????
Attached Thumbnails got my hooker headers in today.....did i get ripped?? pics*-header_flange_2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
What the hell is wrong with you? I don't care what you are dealing with... If you say "The GM mechanic told me", chances are the statement you are about to make is incorrect.

I will NOT take my care or take advice from a "GM mechanic", they almost always know little to NOTHING about ls1.. Especially the aftermarket. The vast majority of them is a joke at best.
there's nothing wrong with me.... i was just sayin that i had a mechanic look at them in person and he seems to think they're fine... he is a friend of my brothers and does side work at his house.. ive heard nothing but great things about this guy.. its not like he was trying to sell the headers to me..
but anyway im not stupid, if the majority of you on here say they are crap then apparently they are.. and because of that, im sending them back.
and i did know if they came directly from hooker or from the ws6store... i guess ill find out monday when i call them....
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by j_dover
c the differance????
yeah i got you... what brand are those?

oh and the ones i got are real hooker headers they have the hooker plate welded on... so they are fake or anything
Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i ordered my hooker headers two years ago, and the flanges looked like that, i used a new OEM gasket and not one leak to date. slap them on
Old 04-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Those headers are perfectly fine that's how the flanges on my super comps are. I've had them on the car for more than two years and not one leak. Just be sure to use OEM gm gaskets.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Launching!

I just bought some used hookers and they look like similar to yours. I guess I'll find out if I get any exhaust leaks when I slap them on in a few weeks. Previous owner said never had a problem with them.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

They are fine...Every set of hooker headers is that way...Don't waste your time in trying to send them back because the next set will be exactly the same...
Blowing header gaskets, are you kidding me, come on guys, every header flange does not have to look the same...Just slap them on along with the gaskets and call it a day...

Kev
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro01SS4life
They are fine...Every set of hooker headers is that way...Don't waste your time in trying to send them back because the next set will be exactly the same...
Blowing header gaskets, are you kidding me, come on guys, every header flange does not have to look the same...Just slap them on along with the gaskets and call it a day...

Kev
I can see there is only a couple of intelligent people in this thread. Do some research on what a milling machine is and what it does. All headers I have seen are welded from the inside of the primary. They chose to overweld them, then mill the welds flat to give you a true seal. As you can see its a full thickness weld around each primary, and even after they milled it flat, the weld is still wide enough to seal. Just bc its manufactured differently then another set of headers doesnt mean its a defect. Those headers WILL seal. End of thread. To the naysayers, they obviously dont know **** about ****.

Quick Reply: got my hooker headers in today.....did i get ripped?? pics*