Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeak...Crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squeak...Crank pulley?

My belt is squeaking and I'm not sure why. Ive tightend the tentioner and the belt is not overly worn. It looks as if maybe the crank pulley is wobbling a little but not much. I'm thinking maybe thats it but how do i get it to spin without wobbling? The bolt is tight so Im afriad to tighten it any more. What should I do? Take it off and get a new bolt? Could it not be seated right or is it something worse? Should I be worried? Help
Old 01-05-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it could be a lot of things. I don't think the crank pulley would be wobbling if you knew how that mother goes on and off. You won't be able to tighten the bolt any more, it should be at 240 ft/lbs which is VERY difficult to achieve, usually takes a large breaker bar, extension, and two people to get it even close to that. Spray your belt with some WD-40 and see if the noise goes away. It might be a bad idler pulley, when water gets in my engine bay, one of those pulleys starts to squeak really bad.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Well, it could be a lot of things. I don't think the crank pulley would be wobbling if you knew how that mother goes on and off. You won't be able to tighten the bolt any more, it should be at 240 ft/lbs which is VERY difficult to achieve, usually takes a large breaker bar, extension, and two people to get it even close to that. Spray your belt with some WD-40 and see if the noise goes away. It might be a bad idler pulley, when water gets in my engine bay, one of those pulleys starts to squeak really bad.
Yeah, It's not wobbling like its loose, just like its on crooked or its not balanced right??
Old 01-05-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

You sure its not your AC belt?
Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
You sure its not your AC belt?
well I cant really tell exactically where the squeaking is coming from but all the pulleys except the crank pulley seem to be lined up fine and spinning true. The crank pulley is "wobbley", almost like excessive vibration. Like as if it where on slightly crooked. The reason im worried is not so much the squeaking, but the stories I heard about the harmonic balancer being out of wack and fuging up the engine.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

I had a 98 Z28 before my WS.6, had the same problem. I took it in, it was under warranty, they fixed it. Mark Chevrolet said there was a bulletin on the cars because of the pulley system. They had to replace one of the pulleys, I can't remember if it was the tensioner pulley or not. Bulletins are GM dirty little secrets that nobody likes to talk about and they don't like to give out this information. That's the truth!!! Contact a dealership that will give you information so you know which pulley to replace. I went through hell tyring to solve the problem, one place said it was the alternator. Thus, I would of spent money on a new alternator all for nothing. Another place just said it was the belt and they replaced that, but that didn't work. Then heard about the bulletin. Pain in the ***

Last edited by SLP LS1; 01-08-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLP LS1
Good luck!
thanks..I wonder if someone on this board knows about that bulliten you are talking about... Im getting the asp pulleys in a couple of weeks so i guess Ill find out if its one of those two. Other than that I guess Ill go to the nearest GM place( I think its like 50 miles from here) and ask them.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Glad to help out
Old 01-09-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

TSB 00-06-01-008 of MAR 00 states that:
"Cause: The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and the crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise."

"Correction: To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the VIN breakpoint (VIN breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine) install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serp. belt..."

"Important: This new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. The previous bracket was 8.3 mm."

The new parts that you need are PN# 12563326 Double Row Idler Pulley Assembly, PN# 12563327 Generator Bracket, & PN# 12562626 Serpentine Belt.

I did this and still had the squeak. It was my AC belt lol.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
TSB 00-06-01-008 of MAR 00 states that:
"Cause: The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and the crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise."

"Correction: To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the VIN breakpoint (VIN breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine) install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serp. belt..."

"Important: This new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. The previous bracket was 8.3 mm."

The new parts that you need are PN# 12563326 Double Row Idler Pulley Assembly, PN# 12563327 Generator Bracket, & PN# 12562626 Serpentine Belt.

I did this and still had the squeak. It was my AC belt lol.
Hey thanks for those numbers, if this ASP set doesent work ill probably change those out next.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem here and every 6speed fbody, some autos. take off your ac belt and its gone. its not the ac belt its one, on mine the top, tensioner pulley. took the belt off and disconnected the ac and never heard it since...
Old 01-17-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the ac belt only hooked up to the ac? the reason i ask is because my ac is blown and i have this belt noise that you all are talking about.

When i get up past 2,000 rpm the squeaking goes away, did anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
is the ac belt only hooked up to the ac? the reason i ask is because my ac is blown and i have this belt noise that you all are talking about.

When i get up past 2,000 rpm the squeaking goes away, did anyone else have this problem?
Yea, it just runs the AC, its the inside belt so you have to disable the outer one first to get it off. I bought the wrong tentioner. So when i took off the AC belt the noise quit (after i bought the wrong one and threw some wrenches). So, thats how i knew it was the AC tensioner..
Old 01-17-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah when i would rev it up it woudl go away. thing is one time it got real dry from coolant in there and sounded like a supercharger at high rpm lol
Old 01-17-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It might be a bad idler pulley,
Which pulley is this and how would you determine if it was bad?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

idler pulley for the big serpentine belt it on the hmmm i think down on the driver side of the motor. its easy to see it has just a pully but does nothing and have a bolt through the middle of it, goes to no accessory or anything. try and start the car, popl the hood and hear where the noise is comming from. if u have a large extention put it on the ac tensioner and idler, and the serpentine tensioner and idler. well put it on the bolts in teh center. one of them u should hear a louder vibration through the extention and thats yoru problem pulley.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I only get a squeak after the car has warmed up. It's weird. It's not the drive belt as it's brand new and I have a Katech tensioner.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
idler pulley for the big serpentine belt it on the hmmm i think down on the driver side of the motor. its easy to see it has just a pully but does nothing and have a bolt through the middle of it, goes to no accessory or anything. try and start the car, popl the hood and hear where the noise is comming from. if u have a large extention put it on the ac tensioner and idler, and the serpentine tensioner and idler. well put it on the bolts in teh center. one of them u should hear a louder vibration through the extention and thats yoru problem pulley.
Both tensioners are on the passenger side (one up top and one underneath... 2 Bolts attaching and replace tensioner. If thats the problem. Might just want to replace the belt.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah but the idler pulleys arent, one is on the driver side i think and the other is under the ac tensioner

Quick Reply: Belt squeak...Crank pulley?