Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to choose a muffler for my setup, opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to choose a muffler for my setup, opinions please!

hey there, been researching mufflers, sounds, flow etc....looked and listened to alot of the sound clips on here. just need some first hand opinions if you dont mind...

right now i have slp long tube headers, ory pipe with NO cats, with a flow master muffler and 'megs" tips dual tips (oh and its cammed "ms4")........sounds good, but everyone is telling me the flow master is killing me on power!!!!

so if that is true what would you put in its place, muffler only? im keeping the rest of the set-up. i am hearing if i go with a borla, magnaflow, something like that i can get some more power out of the car? i dont want the sound to change much, i dont want screaming loud at idle but i dont want put you to sleep sound either, lol........

thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Magnaflow
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m2g4b
hey there, been researching mufflers, sounds, flow etc....looked and listened to alot of the sound clips on here. just need some first hand opinions if you dont mind...

right now i have slp long tube headers, ory pipe with NO cats, with a flow master muffler and 'megs" tips dual tips (oh and its cammed "ms4")........sounds good, but everyone is telling me the flow master is killing me on power!!!!

so if that is true what would you put in its place, muffler only? im keeping the rest of the set-up. i am hearing if i go with a borla, magnaflow, something like that i can get some more power out of the car? i dont want the sound to change much, i dont want screaming loud at idle but i dont want put you to sleep sound either, lol........

thanks in advance
What flowmaster muffler are you using? Using a single chamber flowmaster will sound awesome and not cause you any power loss. People on here are always knocking flowmaster. Yeah, their catback is ****, but using their mufflers with true duals sound awesome and don't cause any power loss. Everyone on here seems to be like sheep and follow what everyone else says, which is Magnaflow is the best. In my opinion, Magnaflow is way to quiet. Everyone is going to have an opinion on what sounds best, so just take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

thats just it, i dont know what muffler it is, the length of the box is 15", cant even find one that short on the web with a single in, dual out, lol.......it might be a good one, i love the sound thats for sure....but if i can pick up more power for $100 im all for it!!!!

magnaflow does seem quiet, but i am not stock, the cam and headers should make for a pretty good sound......i dont really know, thats why i am asking for personal opinions on this, i live in a small town with no cars around to hear

thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m2g4b
thats just it, i dont know what muffler it is, the length of the box is 15", cant even find one that short on the web with a single in, dual out, lol.......it might be a good one, i love the sound thats for sure....but if i can pick up more power for $100 im all for it!!!!

magnaflow does seem quiet, but i am not stock, the cam and headers should make for a pretty good sound......i dont really know, thats why i am asking for personal opinions on this, i live in a small town with no cars around to hear

thanks
Why not go true duals? With the setup you have, you would get the best sound and performance out running of true duals. If there is a local shop that is worth a ****, take it there, tell them what you want and get a quote. I bet your car would sound mean as hell with true duals. Plus, then you could get rid of that current flowmaster muffler and get a set of single chambers. They sound awesome and can support 1,000 horse power.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet Thunder 18" chambered tube!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

How loud do you NOT want it? I've got a similar setup, but with the TSP Rumbler Cat back with the Dynomax 18" bullet muffler and the drone on the HW @ 65 is bad. SLP LT's with ORY.

I mean, the exhaust sounds good, but gets VERY loud when you open it up. My buddy's got a hooker CB CME on his 02 SLP SS and it sounds nice. He's also got Flowtech LT's, ORY on his. Not too loud on the HW, but just enough to hear it. The hooker Aerochamber is supposed to be one of the best flowing mufflers out there.

Hope that helps.. The only good vid I have I'm "Technically" not supposed to promote (Google ads contract) Search for MS4 on youtube. It's an SOM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

if you dont care about how loud it is...go for a SLP LM1 setup....i have it with stock manifolds and cats and i love it....also plan to put LTs, high flows and a ORY on
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Why not go true duals? With the setup you have, you would get the best sound and performance out running of true duals. If there is a local shop that is worth a ****, take it there, tell them what you want and get a quote. I bet your car would sound mean as hell with true duals. Plus, then you could get rid of that current flowmaster muffler and get a set of single chambers. They sound awesome and can support 1,000 horse power.
Single chambers are a little loud though. I'm getting ready to ditch mine for some Super 44's, to hopefully tame it down a little, and give it some more tone.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Borla!!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1
if you dont care about how loud it is...go for a SLP LM1 setup....i have it with stock manifolds and cats and i love it....also plan to put LTs, high flows and a ORY on
Chances are, you won't like the LM1 with headers and an ORY
Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these on my CME true dual set up and love them!

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=310560400
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running the tsp rumbler cat back, I have long tubes and no cats on the car,,,Here is a clip of the car when it was dyno tuned
just sroll down the page until ya see the video box

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ynotune-2.html