Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bassani y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bassani y pipe

I was wondering if i could fab up my 2.5 inch bassani off road ypipe to fit a set of long tubes...im trying to figure out ways thati can get a set of pace setters or hooker lt's and make sure the car isn't wayy wayyy toloud. i can handle way too loud, but not way way too loud lol.

if i get a set of pace setters should i just get the 3 inch or ypipe? i have cats im gonna put in them already so thats not a problem
Old 01-10-2004, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,512 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by slik98z
i have cats im gonna put in them already so thats not a problem
I've never heard a car with cats that was 'way way too loud' as you put it. If you're gonna use cats, even if you don't run a muffler it's not gonna be 'that' loud. If you run both the cats and a muffler, it'll be pretty tame actually (almost too tame for me ).
Old 01-10-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats what i was actuallythinking, could i just put one cat (and still pass emissions) because i dont mind getting pulled over for an exhaust that is too loud, as long as i have a catalytic converter im not worried, i can get out of those "improper exhaust tickets" i just need the converters, im actually thinking of just welding on heat sheilds so it looks lke i have them

our police seem to gauge a car if its too loud by if its louder than that police harley's, which is hard to beat. they are freaking loud as hell.

Last edited by slik98z; 01-10-2004 at 10:53 AM. Reason: adding
Old 01-10-2004, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Where do you live that they are so strict about exhaust?

I've been pulled over before (for various reasons) with my current exhaust setup on the car, which is not at all quiet but not super loud either, and I've never been hassled about the exhaust. "Improper exhaust" tickets around here are a $75 joke ticket that is really no different than a loud exhaust ticket, and bascially only given to people that have open headers or dumps under the car. You have to be super loud to even get one. If you have a rear exiting system, they really never even check for a "proper exhaust".

If you're worried though the heat shield trick should work. You don't even need to worry about welding them, if you can find shields for "bullet" type cats, they are pretty easy to clamp on. If you live in a state that does OBD scan only emissions testing then you won't even need cats to pass the test so long as you tune the PCM for it. Cats are only needed for sniffer tests.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in Northern Va. local cops love the sound of modded V8's, state cops...ehh they are bastards an djust want your 75 bucks. I guess my major worry is interior resonance. with the set up i have now, only at 2k-2300 rpms do i have any type of drone, or i guess guys on this board call it rasp. ??? but that doesnt bothe rme too much. id love to get away with cats, but having 2 high flow cats vs. an off road pipe, if its not going to be much of a difference id just exclude the cats. but if it will quiet it down quite a bit, without sacrificing making it too soft, nor will it sacrifice too much power then id put some on for good measure.
i hope im making sense and not contridicting myself. im trying to talk myself into long tubes, or y and hooker catback lol
Travis
Old 01-10-2004, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

If you're going to stick with the Hooker catback, IMO it will be too quiet with cats. Hooker is not a loud catback to begin with. But sound is subjective.

High flow cats won't really cost you any power, but they will reduce the sound quite a bit. If that's your goal, then go for it.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

at idle the hooker catback is almost stock sounding. with an off road y pipe i have on there now its a little loude at idle but not by much, WOT is another stock, the hookercatback is one of the loudest at WOT. thats what im shooting for. something quieter at idle, kind of a sleeper type deal.

So basically you are telling me without cats, i'd probably be ok with the hooker catback? what i have to go by is a buddy of mine put long tubes on his 99 mustang gt with magnaflow mufflers and he put baffles in his pipes in order to quiet it down and that **** is so friggen loud for a daily driver it would eventually get my *** into trouble. thats all im trying Not to do. and im not having any luck finding a good sound file of a hooker catback with long tubes and off road y pipe.
thanks for the responses...i get the drift, and i was thinking the same thing...if you are gonna go long tubes, dont be a ***** and do it up right correct? haha
T
Old 01-10-2004, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by slik98z
the hookercatback is one of the loudest at WOT.
I guess you've never heard SLP Loudmouth with LTs and an ORY then, eh? Makes the Hooker sound like stock even at WOT, at least to me.

So basically you are telling me without cats, i'd probably be ok with the hooker catback?
IMO yes, but sound is very subjective. Hooker sounds nice without cats, IMO. Not too loud at all, and I HIGHLY doubt cops will hassle you about it so long as they don't hear you going WOT.

if you are gonna go long tubes, dont be a ***** and do it up right correct? haha
T
Exactly. If you know how to work around your state's emissions program, or if it's easy to pass where your at, or they don't have testing period in your area, then cats are a waste of money & time, IMO.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Also, you can't compare your friends 'stang to your car. Mustangs have a totally different exhaust note due to a different motor and a different type of exhaust style (true dual).