Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removeing crank pully motor want stop turning ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default removeing crank pully motor want stop turning ???

??? i have an auto and i have put it in drive 3rd 2nd and 1st motor still turns ??? im lost with this do i need i strap wrence ?? but what about reinstall the stap wrence want keep it from turning still the pully starts to get snug right
??
thanx in advance
Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting the auto in gear will not stop it from turning. You will need to either hold the flywheel or the pulley to break the bolt free. I took a puller and installed bolts in it and used a pry bar wedged in between them to push against the floor.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Drop the two bolts that hold the starter in and wedge a flat head screwdriver or prybar in to hold the flywheel.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Putting the auto in gear will not stop it from turning. You will need to either hold the flywheel or the pulley to break the bolt free. I took a puller and installed bolts in it and used a pry bar wedged in between them to push against the floor.
The bolts in the pulley method would work, but a fixture that holds the flexplate would be ideal for an auto. It takes quite a mighty bar to break that crank bolt free.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eseibel67
It takes quite a mighty bar to break that crank bolt free.
2 ft breaker and 3ft pipe should do the trick im thinking thanx all for the help
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

impact?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My solution. Crank bolt comes out in 2 seconds with a 25" breaker bar

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
2 ft breaker and 3ft pipe should do the trick im thinking thanx all for the help
Thats exactly what I used and my feet on the garage wall! I thought I broke something when it finally let loose.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do it the easy mans way, pull the plug wires and put the breaker bar on the bolt and the end against the floor, flick the starter once and its done. I know everyone is going to jump my *** for saying this but its pretty common with a lot of other cars to do this, I learned it from working on jeeps. Putting it back on I just wedged a small prybar in the teeth on the flywheel, held it just fine to torque it on.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I do it the easy mans way, pull the plug wires and put the breaker bar on the bolt and the end against the floor, flick the starter once and its done. I know everyone is going to jump my *** for saying this but its pretty common with a lot of other cars to do this, I learned it from working on jeeps. Putting it back on I just wedged a small prybar in the teeth on the flywheel, held it just fine to torque it on.
I did the same thing on a 2G eclipse, after struggling to stop the crank from turning for awhile, I did a "google search" and was like wtf? really? Put the breaker bar on the bolt and made sure it was wedged against the ground, turned the key for a sec, and that was it lol
Old 05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk

clever but did you tear that belt up ??
Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
i dont know if i can feel right doing that no room for any thing to go wrong what if the sockit sliped just a lil and stripedthebolt head ?? its a dd and i have to drive it to tuscaloosa this week (war eagle) for work 2hr away from me id like to try that but cant take the risk
Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Personally Id use an impact wrench. Normally with an impact you dont have to worry about holding it. Ive seen alot of people break teeth off their flywheel by doing the drop the starter method and wedging something in the teeth. Then your stuck with having to pull the tranny to replace that.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hulkamania
Personally Id use an impact wrench. Normally with an impact you dont have to worry about holding it. Ive seen alot of people break teeth off their flywheel by doing the drop the starter method and wedging something in the teeth. Then your stuck with having to pull the tranny to replace that.
all hand tools here
Old 05-15-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkamania
I have a pretty good impact gun (IR231), but it couldn't crack the bolt. Had to use a pipe on the breaker bar.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk

FOR THE WIN thats whats up didnt even tear up the belt thanx man i still put the pipe on the breaker bar and man that was pretty easy
Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Do not use the impact, nothing good could come from this.