Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fix for my endless alternator failure's

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020 | 06:12 PM
BDZ
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I can't see how that would happen unless something is installed wrong. Take it all apart and inspect it. There is no way to align or mis align the bolts. They either go in the holes or dont..

Did you remember to remove the little L bracket brace that bolts to the top rear side of the original alternator?

Yes I removed that painful 13 mm bolt lol and the L bracket......the alternator is working

When I uninstalled the alternator I also removed the aluminum bracket......upon reinstall I got the bottom bolt started and then the bracket bolt and the top bolt and went a little by little on each bolt......any thoughts on that.? I can wrench on it some more I just dont want to strip the bolts
Old 07-29-2020 | 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

you can leave that bracket off......
Old 07-29-2020 | 01:16 AM
BDZ
Teching In

[QUOTE=sjsingle1;20274132]you can leave that bracket off

Yes I left off that small bracket that was attached to the stock alternator.....I'm just working with the main alternator bracket
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020 | 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Tightening it more isn't going to fix it so don't start doing that.

Something is wrong somewhere it sounds like and you need to take it all down and carefully inspect everything and figure out what that is.

Pictures would help A TON

Other wise we can't tell you if we can't see what is going on with it. There is no typical issue that people run into with this swap so we can't really say it is likely to be ________. It either goes in or doesn't, there isn't any adjustments or anything.

You do not have to take the large L bracket off though to do this swap, just the alternator itself. So you could put that on and make sure it's all as it should be then slip the alternator in.

If you have to maybe start over with the stock one and get it all arranged and see if it gives you any clues as to what is going on.
Old 07-29-2020 | 01:30 PM
BDZ
Teching In

Tightening it more isn't going to fix it so don't start doing that.

Something is wrong somewhere it sounds like and you need to take it all down and carefully inspect everything and figure out what that is.

Pictures would help A TON

Other wise we can't tell you if we can't see what is going on with it. There is no typical issue that people run into with this swap so we can't really say it is likely to be ________. It either goes in or doesn't, there isn't any adjustments or anything.

You do not have to take the large L bracket off though to do this swap, just the alternator itself. So you could put that on and make sure it's all as it should be then slip the alternator in.

If you have to maybe start over with the stock one and get it all arranged and see if it gives you any clues as to what is going on.
Yes I just finished taking it out and reinstalling.....i cant tell you what I different aside from cussing a little more than I'm used to.....belt has clearance and is not rubbing..
Old 07-29-2020 | 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL a few cusswords and thrown tools and a beer break usually fixes things
The following 3 users liked this post by 00pooterSS:
BDZ (07-29-2020), G Atsma (07-29-2020), SoCalDave (07-29-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 12:33 PM
BDZ
Teching In

LOL a few cusswords and thrown tools and a beer break usually fixes things
one more question before I take this thing down the road..... if anyone has the answer......we aren't to wire in any kind of resistor on that exciter wire are we......I've read so much stuff over the past few days that I'm just wanting to be sure......thx in advance guys.
Old 08-03-2020 | 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

NO. That is only for swap vehicles when you wire a direct 12 volt source to the alternator

That alternator is controlled by pulse width modulation. AKA frequency, and when measured with a volt meter that 12 volt signal, modulated shows up in the 9 volt range. So when putting one of those alternators on an old school car that does not have the computer (the pcm) you have to control the alternator you trick the system by putting a resistor in a hot wire so that you don't feed 12-13 volts into the alternator control wire (the exciter)
Old 08-14-2020 | 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

couple observations on my 244 Alt. w/ new exciter wire. been using for probablly more than 10years.less than 10K miles.

when the outside temperatures are exceeding 90* the alt. slowely decreases output the hotter the less charge. so at 90* the AC must be off it's drain on the battery + ineffiecient Alt. needle is lowest I've sean close to the orange.
after initial ignition she charges just above 12 oclock I think thanks about 12.5VDC.when warmed just at 12 oclock after the next 5 miles she will fall below 12 OC.
when nice and toastie outside just before engine electric cooling fans come on. I purchased the car in 2001 130K miles later the fan maybe came on twice, and stayed on when engine was turned off all this w/ no AC/radio any accessories.

the latest charge related observation was at idel 590RPM which is kindof on the lowish side for a mild cammed car, the oil preasure needle vibrates just below 40LB in concert w/ the low charge needle give a tad bit of throttle oil preasure smooths to constant reading.

what's weird about the 244 and this charge sys. when engine is warm and the charge starts to lower upon turning off after the restart the charge does in fact increase a little but always goe's back to just below 12OC.edit: this car is on it's third battery at about 135K miles.

edit: I've had issues w/ charging since the little 105amp. orginal. the 244 is a slite improvement but not as good as it could be, like I really want to turn on the AC.
Old 08-14-2020 | 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Get another alternator. The charge getting lower and lower as it gets hotter is what they do when they are failing.

That's what all of the alternators did that I had fail on me, except for I think 2 of them. And they died the first time I went past 6000 rpm. But that was the little f body alternators. I never had any of those problems with the 145 amp alt's that were good. You just need to get a good one, yours is bad
Old 08-17-2020 | 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK Thanks: the oil pressure needle vibrates because of low atl. output? I was starting to think the oil pressure sensor sender was malfunctioning.
Old 08-17-2020 | 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badmfkr
OK Thanks: the oil pressure needle vibrates because of low atl. output? I was starting to think the oil pressure sensor sender was malfunctioning.
The bouncing oil pressure is something else, probably the sending unit, try that first. My camaro had the bouncing oil pressure needle for the last 2-3 years that I owned it. It started the day that I put in a used oil sending unit (broke it while swapping to a LS6 manifold on a sunday and couldn't find a new one on a sunday and my buddy had a used one and I threw that in there). I never did change mine out and the car went to 2 owners after me and they never changed it either lol.

I said all that just because if I did actually have an engine problem the car wouldn't have ran for another 50k miles of really hard abuse, so the bouncing needle in my case was the sender, probably on yours too.
Old 08-25-2020 | 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another happy customer, I did the swap this past weekend. My 2001 original alternator was putting out good voltage at cold start but kept drifting lower and lower once it got hot, eventually noticably below 13A on the gauge which was causing me to lose about 4lbs of fuel pressure. After the install drove it around for a good half our in 90 degree weather and voltage continued to stay over 13, although it does drop a hair a few minutes after a cold start. Turned on lights/radio/HVAC blower and still stayed steady. Spliced in a new exciter wire pigtail at your recommendation too, other than that (owing to the absurdly small gauge of the factory red wire) install is a breeze. Went with the ACDELCO 3351092 at rockauto.
00pooterSS (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020 | 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Another happy customer, I did the swap this past weekend. My 2001 original alternator was putting out good voltage at cold start but kept drifting lower and lower once it got hot, eventually noticably below 13A on the gauge which was causing me to lose about 4lbs of fuel pressure. After the install drove it around for a good half our in 90 degree weather and voltage continued to stay over 13, although it does drop a hair a few minutes after a cold start. Turned on lights/radio/HVAC blower and still stayed steady. Spliced in a new exciter wire pigtail at your recommendation too, other than that (owing to the absurdly small gauge of the factory red wire) install is a breeze. Went with the ACDELCO 3351092 at rockauto.

Good to hear it man, glad it helped. $169 is a great deal for a high output stable alternator.
Old 08-30-2020 | 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Technically you paid $60 extra for the remy alternator to come packaged as an AC Delco original branded product after remy paid the licencing fees to brand rights.( hence why it says w/remy alternator in the AC Delco description.)

The AC Delco brand is just a remanufactured alternator done in Mexico next to all of the other remanufactured alternators

My 105amp used truck alternator works great. Only a slight upgrade from the 102 amp fbody but seems to be under rated

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-30-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2020 | 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remy is just another one of those old brand names that was part of the old AC Delco umbrella that's long gone.

AC = Albert Champion... yes, THAT Champion... he started the Champion Spark Plug Co. with some partners, but when he got disgruntled with them and struck out on his own, that company sued him for using his own name, so he called his new one AC instead

Delco = Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company... was owned by Charles Kettering until GM bought it... made the first practical mass-produced electric starter, then ignition systems and generators... basically the entire auto electric system at the time... Kettering stayed with GM after that and rose to a high position within it

Remy = an old company in the same business as Delco (a competitor); bought by United Motors and merged into Delco around WW1 by GM after GM bought United

GM merged Delco and AC into that one familiar one brand name sometime in the 70s. Remy, Anderson, United, Packard Electric, etc. all were included. I think Harrison (radiators and A/C and such) too.

All of that went to the company that was called Delphi for awhile, when GM divested it in the 90s; except Remy, which had been divested on its own a couple of years earlier. Remy still licenses the Delco name. Delphi has split stuff off, bought other stuff, renamed itself, gone bankrupt, moved to foreign countries to evade taxes, etc. It's quite the story. No wonder GM kicked it to the curb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptiv
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDelco
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delco_Electronics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remy_International
http://www.delcoremy.com/alternators...y-model-family

AFAIK the alternators for our cars & trucks aren't a Remy product but I could easily be wrong. Since all of those distinctions are just brand names and licensing and other such paperwork and money shuffling and box printing (marketing) among a bunch of interrelated incestuous companies whose relationships go back more than a century, it's hard for me to say whose design or product or other REALITY they really are.

Last edited by RB04Av; 08-30-2020 at 01:00 PM.
fucter (06-24-2021)
Old 08-31-2020 | 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone mount the 145 on a Huron speed alt relocation? I was told it can be done but can’t find any info and just read this whole thread lol. I will attach a pic of location.
Old 08-31-2020 | 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as it uses the same bolts as it did originally, it should fit. Can't see behind the alt to tell whether anything would interfere but I kinda doubt it.
Old 09-01-2020 | 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

The alternator mounting pads are the same. The depth is the same for the most part. The main thing is the larger alt is a larger diameter. I would strongly think it would work with that relocation mount.
Old 09-01-2020 | 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Picked one up today. I will report back with my findings this weekend.
00pooterSS (09-01-2020)

Quick Reply: The fix for my endless alternator failure's