Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are headers proven? Anybody with headers plz hlp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my car was just long tubes/ls6 intake/y pipe with dumped race muffler it felt like lost power down low. like coming off redlights at a normal pace it felt stronger when it was just lid/borla catback.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk99sleekbeak
when my car was just long tubes/ls6 intake/y pipe with dumped race muffler it felt like lost power down low. like coming off redlights at a normal pace it felt stronger when it was just lid/borla catback.
I completely understand what you guys are saying but this simply isn't the case. I will try to find back to back comparisons of dyno sheets before and after a header swap. Every single dyno sheet I've ever seen shows a gain across the board.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
what does this mean?
Originally Posted by lemons12
LTs are made to pick up peak power and not low end grunt, like shorties would.

More than anything it gives an "illusion" that you are losing power down low. Reason is is because say you pick up 20Rwhp up top and only 5Rwhp across the curve. It will seem like you don't have as much "get up" as you did before, even though you have more.

Hopefully I explained that in easy enough terms. Not exact on but gives you an idea of what they are talking about when they say this.
Thanks for explaining it better than I did Lemons
Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I don't disagree with any of that, but it also doesn't conflict with anything I've said.

They will make more power, but at a certain rpm range. You just simply loose too much exhaust velocity and energy at low rpm to make power.
So, here is one thing to consider. How many people are racing in the RPM range where they would feel the downside of the headers? Any manual driver worth their salt is going to be in their powerband at all times, and a stalled auto, properly sized, blows WAY past the loss of "down low grunt" right into their power band.

You could argue non-stalled autos, in which case, sure, it's pretty silly for them to get long tubes because they haven't taken care of the stall first.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Although this is only a few examples they do overlay a baseline with exhaust only to after the headers where installed with a tune and you can see from 2000 rpm on up it was a solid gain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl5-ZvGrww

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/gallery...816&fullsize=1

Last edited by odarabla; 06-17-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Thanks for explaining it better than I did Lemons

So, here is one thing to consider. How many people are racing in the RPM range where they would feel the downside of the headers? Any manual driver worth their salt is going to be in their powerband at all times, and a stalled auto, properly sized, blows WAY past the loss of "down low grunt" right into their power band.

You could argue non-stalled autos, in which case, sure, it's pretty silly for them to get long tubes because they haven't taken care of the stall first.
I only say non stalled autos take the hit while racing. You're right it is silly to get headers before a stall but that's 90% of this board.

Otherwise you don't spend much time down low while racing to really matter, but that wasn't the point of me saying it. How much time do you actually spend at WOT. Now, how much time do you spend driving around at less then 2000 rpm.

Originally Posted by odarabla
Although this is only a few examples they do overlay a baseline with exhaust only to after the headers where installed with a tune and you can see from 2000 rpm on up it was a solid gain.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/gallery...816&fullsize=1
Well, I assume if you put headers on a LS7 it would be able to benefit more as well. I don't believe anyone in this thread has a new Camaro though. Different motors to different things, the bigger the engine the better off it will be.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

How much time do you actually spend at WOT. Now, how much time do you spend driving around at less then 2000 rpm.
Proportionally, I spend almost no time at WOT compared to cruising, but then again, when I'm not in the throttle, I am never saying "well this feels like I'm down a few horse power".

I get what you are saying, but we've moved from the OP asking if headers were proven and you said you were disappointed in track times to discussing if when getting the groceries, will you notice a power loss.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Proportionally, I spend almost no time at WOT compared to cruising, but then again, when I'm not in the throttle, I am never saying "well this feels like I'm down a few horse power".

I get what you are saying, but we've moved from the OP asking if headers were proven and you said you were disappointed in track times to discussing if when getting the groceries, will you notice a power loss.
My point all along was are they worth getting. I don't doubt I got gains and I'll take what I can get but for all the small bullshit you have to put up with it might not be a bad idea for someone who doesn't race to hold off a bit on getting headers.

I can't say that I notice loss of power with my big stalled auto, but I can tell in my CTSV that it just lugs around more at lower rpms. And they killed my LT1 M6 down low, especially on the highway in 6th.

The OP, however, already has headers, he just hasn't put them on. So in his case...
Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Restricted User

Yea I dont really know what your saying anymore Jon. Who cares about power when your ideling?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Well then just put on an quit wondering what's it like.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My point all along was are they worth getting. I don't doubt I got gains and I'll take what I can get but for all the small bullshit you have to put up with it might not be a bad idea for someone who doesn't race to hold off a bit on getting headers.
That was basically what I heard you saying the whole time.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
That was basically what I heard you saying the whole time.
I just agreed to disagree!!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol^^^

I think this thread has run its course. OP - When you get them installed crank up a new one with some results.

Quick Reply: Are headers proven? Anybody with headers plz hlp