Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bullets dumped right off of headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bullets dumped right off of headers?

I currently have a true dual set-up dumped right before the axle, but my ground clearance is absolute **** and my exhaust guy showed me it is the highest it can go without touching the fuel lines.

I will have decent clearance if I attach the muffler directly to the end of the headers, but is there any negative consequences that can come from this?

Any insight is appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (12-05-2021)
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
I currently have a true dual set-up dumped right before the axle, but my ground clearance is absolute **** and my exhaust guy showed me it is the highest it can go without touching the fuel lines.

I will have decent clearance if I attach the muffler directly to the end of the headers, but is there any negative consequences that can come from this?

Any insight is appreciated.
It's going to be ridiculously loud in the cabin. It would be dumping right under your ***. If that doesn't bother you, then I guess it would be fine.

I thought about doing this but you may have to have a transitional piece under the drivers side. The passengers side will be fine, but on the drivers side you have to clear the floorboard.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really warm ***, no exhaust scavenging means a loss of low-end power, you'll have to BFH the floorpan depending on the size of the bullets, and you'll have to figure out exhaust hangers to keep all that weight from hanging directly off the heads (and to keep the bullets from hammering the bottom of the car like a machine gun on bumpy roads).

I drove a T/A with glasspacks bolted to the header collectors across the US (Maryland to Arizona in two days...that's a fun story) and surprisingly, that setup wasn't too loud...louder than my duals, sure, but not as loud as I had expected it to be after driving the car with open headers.

Have you done the fuel line flip to gain more clearance to tuck the exhaust up higher?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Element
Really warm ***, no exhaust scavenging means a loss of low-end power, you'll have to BFH the floorpan depending on the size of the bullets, and you'll have to figure out exhaust hangers to keep all that weight from hanging directly off the heads (and to keep the bullets from hammering the bottom of the car like a machine gun on bumpy roads).

I drove a T/A with glasspacks bolted to the header collectors across the US (Maryland to Arizona in two days...that's a fun story) and surprisingly, that setup wasn't too loud...louder than my duals, sure, but not as loud as I had expected it to be after driving the car with open headers.

Have you done the fuel line flip to gain more clearance to tuck the exhaust up higher?
Thanks for the info.

And no I've read about people doing the fuel line flip but never found a tut or pictures. Is it difficult?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
Thanks for the info.

And no I've read about people doing the fuel line flip but never found a tut or pictures. Is it difficult?
From what I understand, you just loosen the bolts holding the fuel line clips, unhook the fuel lines, swing the clips around 180*, reconnect the fuel lines, and tighten the bolts back down.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ollectors.html

There is a pic of my old setup in there, I now have one chamber Flowmasters in the same place with no clearance issues. They did rub when I would pull the car into the garage but that was due to the layout of the garage, not the car

Last edited by Z28/2002; 07-28-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
It's going to be ridiculously loud in the cabin...
Actually, I have this setup in my Maverick and it's not near as bad in the cabin as it is outside. I'd be concerned if the local cops aren't car-friendly, cause it is LOUD.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My duals go under the passenger side of the car. Better clearance toward the back then the section before the merge on the driver side.

Quick Reply: Bullets dumped right off of headers?