Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is throttle body coolant bypass worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cueball
aircraft have their carbs, and TB. heated because their flying up
there where it is -40* and a lot cooler.
To be fair, aircraft can turn their carb heat on and off. When the heat is turned on, I can tell you the engine runs like crap.

My opinion, yes it helps. Cooler air is always better. Will you notice the difference, almost definately not. Will you notice if your TB won't open? I bet you would. As for me, I'll do it eventually just to get rid of extra hose connections, but I'm not buying a stupid kit. I'll just get a longer hose and some clamps.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I agree you might not notice a difference but every little bit helps,remember its the little stuff that adds up to big stuff
Old 01-27-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

aircrafts cruise at very cold temps (IAT) for long periods of time.

I dunno bout you but im always modulating my car pedal. I don't take the ls1 for road trips, its too f'ing noisy. The 330ci is quite a bit more comfy..

I suppose if you drove across canada or something at 60-70 in the -40 temps without moving the pedal (cruise?) you could ice them open, and then life would suck for a moment

Where does the water go? I'm a noob so explain to me , is it just the TB? Our plastic intakes get no cooling right?

And what are those goofy two metal things that attach to the head under the front of the intake?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't touch mine until it started leaking coolant, then I just eliminated the hoses and plugged the holes. I don't know why everybody installs a bypass; that metal tubing is too small to have any bearing on engine cooling. It's much cleaner in the engine bay with out the un-needed plumbing. Also, where I live we have quite a variety of hot and cold weather, and I've had no problems with TB icing so far. I think it's a bigger deal on carbed cars.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Like the title says. Has anyone seen real results?
Forget it man, not worth it if you expect high results. This is just a little mod that goes with other mods to make a sum of horsepower. If you are not considering doing a lot of modifications to your car, it is not worth it!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
I didn't touch mine until it started leaking coolant, then I just eliminated the hoses and plugged the holes. I don't know why everybody installs a bypass; that metal tubing is too small to have any bearing on engine cooling. It's much cleaner in the engine bay with out the un-needed plumbing.
Thanks, Cal. I believe I'll do it your way. Didn't know this could be done.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Icing will happen aft of the throttle blade, where
you are expanding air and dropping temp across
the pressure gradient.

I had the carb on my '66 Mustang ice up on the
401 going from Detroit to Buffalo by Canada one
time. Near-freezing fog doesn't take much to turn
to a coat of ice.

Most of the air doesn't actually touch the TB as it
passes, and at WOT it doesn't spend much time
there either. But, it's worth the price of "free".
Especially if you used a non-F-body TB core to
port and the nipples don't fit the lines anyway.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by samz28
aircrafts cruise at very cold temps (IAT) for long periods of time.

I dunno bout you but im always modulating my car pedal. I don't take the ls1 for road trips, its too f'ing noisy. The 330ci is quite a bit more comfy..

I suppose if you drove across canada or something at 60-70 in the -40 temps without moving the pedal (cruise?) you could ice them open, and then life would suck for a moment

Where does the water go? I'm a noob so explain to me , is it just the TB? Our plastic intakes get no cooling right?

And what are those goofy two metal things that attach to the head under the front of the intake?

It is not that the TB sticks (though I agree that would suck). The icing occurs as the air enters the enginebay/air cleaner - it is compressed a little (esp at speed). Then as the air/humidity enters the engine the pressure goes negative, so the air immediately expands. This causes the temperature to drop(look up Bernulli's equation). At that point already cold very moist air can/will freeze. As it does, it gradually closes the intake.

If you were suffering from this, you might never notice. Probably not doing a lot of WOT in -40 degree weather anyway. Initially, SOTP isn't going to tell you. Over time it can get to a point where the engine won't run.

So---You and your buddy take your car on a hunting trip to Alaska. You leave Lansing, MI in the am on a day where the high is -10 degrees. You and your buddy take turns driving and stop only for short refuel stops. The car finally fails somewhere around the Alaska/Canada border, after you haven't seen any signs of civilization in over an hour. How do you thaw it out??? Are you pissed??? SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE TB HEAT ALONE!!!

Otherwise.....

Old 01-27-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Reminds me of my bro's rented grand am. Do 80, and turn on the windshield sprayers on a sub-freezing day.

Point well taken.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurdueWS6
I was just looking through their website and I find this:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/tb-dyno.htm

i dunno where THEY got their 6.3 hp from.

Mahmood
LOL.. yeah that's a little out there. At any rate, I got the BMR kit. Nice setup to keep from chasing parts around the hardware store.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cal
I didn't touch mine until it started leaking coolant, then I just eliminated the hoses and plugged the holes. I don't know why everybody installs a bypass; that metal tubing is too small to have any bearing on engine cooling. It's much cleaner in the engine bay with out the un-needed plumbing. Also, where I live we have quite a variety of hot and cold weather, and I've had no problems with TB icing so far. I think it's a bigger deal on carbed cars.
exactly,carbs that have the fuel entering the air stream in the vortec
have a bigger chance of icing than TB.
and you dont have to buy a kit, i didnt
i just went to autozone and baught a trans cooler hose( cant remember ex. size been a couple of yrs) for a couple of bucks to run from that small tube
to the tube on the radiator, easy.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:45 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

About 4 yrs ago I actually dyno'd this mod while sitting on the dyno. It didn't make a damn bit of difference after 20 minutes of cool down...

If you're going to do it, do it for convience on pulling the TB. Otherwise don't waste your time/money if you're looking for more power.

Josh
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the consensus is no added power. What about better throttle response due to cooler air? If the car was more peppy due to colder air I would do it.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

you like digging up the dead bro? damn this thread is 9 years old.

in all honesty, I did the tb bypass and noticed lower coolant temps and I can see them on my aeroforce scangauge. Im sure theres lower IAT's too, i just havent looked at them before or after.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mjs1012
you like digging up the dead bro? damn this thread is 9 years old.

in all honesty, I did the tb bypass and noticed lower coolant temps and I can see them on my aeroforce scangauge. Im sure theres lower IAT's too, i just havent looked at them before or after.
LOL! I know, I google searched it and I found this thread, and it's still open, so I figured, why not have a little fun and raise the dead? I bet a lot of those original posters don't even own these cars anymore.

With lower coolant temperatures, will the car feel more peppy? Living in CT I'm sure it gets cold there, does the icing problem happen, does it take the car longer to warm up, and cons about it?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did the bypass mod like a week ago when i put my new tb on so I can't really say much about the cold causing issues right now. It takes about the same amount of time to warm up but I noticed especially at highway speeds the temps will drop faster and stay lower.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Now you guys got me curious about this little mod lol. Any drawbacks to it?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Now you guys got me curious about this little mod lol. Any drawbacks to it?
Check this out.

http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm

Quick Reply: Is throttle body coolant bypass worth it???