Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need Some Opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I Need Some Opinions....

So I'm ready to order my new set up finally! Right now I just have a Borla cat back & lid. I am going to get LT headers & a true dual exhaust system with turn downs. Since I will just be running bolt ons until I get a cam in a year or so. Would going with 1 7/8" headers be better or worse. Any power loss or anything... Just wondering if I could get some insight from everyone.

Either a custom true dual or Texas Speed Rumbler
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=56

Dynomax Race Bullets
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24222/

1 3/4" Hooker Headers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2469-1HKR/

1 3/4 Pacesetter Headers
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=184&catid=45

1 7/8" TSP Headers
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=899&catid=45
Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone with opinions on which header to go?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imo id go with pacesetters(coated) from texas speed,its cheap best bang for the buck header out there. Me and my bro installed it on his ss with no problem, the fitment was also good. As for the catback, id go with the true duals. hope this helps
Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000ssowner
Imo id go with pacesetters(coated) from texas speed,its cheap best bang for the buck header out there. Me and my bro installed it on his ss with no problem, the fitment was also good. As for the catback, id go with the true duals. hope this helps
Yea I've been thinking about just going with Pacesetters since there cheap & its a good bank for your buck. Then I would be able to buy other parts for my car. & no doubt I'm going with a true dual system Might be trading a guy my Borla cat back for his TSP true duals with Dynomax bullets
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP 1 7/8" headers were shown to make gains over a 1 3/4" system without power loss anywhere. There's a thread floating around here somewhere about it. Going with bigger primaries might cost a little more now, but you'll already have them when you install the cam, where they'll show even more benefit.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

exactly! go for the pacesetter why spending alot on headers. they all end up rusting lol. go for the true duals altho i went with ory but its my dd and am planning on lowering so u know lol..good luck.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Element
TSP 1 7/8" headers were shown to make gains over a 1 3/4" system without power loss anywhere. There's a thread floating around here somewhere about it. Going with bigger primaries might cost a little more now, but you'll already have them when you install the cam, where they'll show even more benefit.
Yea I've heard they def make some more power over 1 3/4" if your going to cam it etc. Decisions decisions...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from slp headers to tsp 1 7/8 headers and true duals. there was def. more power judging by seat of the pants. and they are only 500 bucks. what are the pacesetters like 4??. might as well go with the tsp headers.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
i went from slp headers to tsp 1 7/8 headers and true duals. there was def. more power judging by seat of the pants. and they are only 500 bucks. what are the pacesetters like 4??. might as well go with the tsp headers.
Hmmm well I went with Pacesetters just for now. Because I will be just bolt ons for a while until I get my cam. Pacesetters are $370 just for the headers. Total price was $450. Including shipping & O2 extensions. TSP is $500 just for the headers. So now I have some extra money for other parts But once I get some money for my cam I will be going with Kooks or ARH

Last edited by DoggyB22; 08-30-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Hmmm well I went with Pacesetters just for now. Because I will be just bolt ons for a while until I get my cam. Pacesetters are $370 just for the headers. Total price was $450. Including shipping & O2 extensions. TSP is $500 just for the headers. So now I have some extra money for other parts But once I get some money for my cam I will be going with Kooks or ARH
Pacesetters are pretty good headers, especially for the price. I wouldn't worry too much about second-guessing buying them. 1 7/8" is nice, and I'd go with that size over 1 3/4" for Kooks/ARH headers, but 1 3/4" will still show nice gains on both stock guts and H/C/I engines.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pacesetters are pretty good headers, especially for the price. I wouldn't worry too much about second-guessing buying them. 1 7/8" is nice, and I'd go with that size over 1 3/4" for Kooks/ARH headers, but 1 3/4" will still show nice gains on both stock guts and H/C/I engines.
For sure yea I'm excited! Since I've been wanting LT headers for a while now.. haha. & I am probably buying a ASP underdrive pulley with the money I saved so hopefully my dyno numbers are good. I'm wanting to buy a TSP true dual exhaust. I found a guy who is selling a used one with turn downs & includes Dynomax bullets. Has no problems or anything. What do you think would be a good price? I was thinking like $350 or something?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

For sure yea I'm excited! Since I've been wanting LT headers for a while now.. haha. & I am probably buying a ASP underdrive pulley with the money I saved so hopefully my dyno numbers are good. I'm wanting to buy a TSP true dual exhaust. I found a guy who is selling a used one with turn downs & includes Dynomax bullets. Has no problems or anything. What do you think would be a good price? I was thinking like $350 or something?
I think it's around $430 or so new. As long as it's in good shape, no rust/dents/etc, I'd offer $300 and see what he said. LTs + true duals = lots of fun, especially coming from a stock exhaust setup.

Also, you might take a look at the Powerbond underdrive pulley...SDPC (site sponsor) sells the Powerbond, new main and a/c belts, and a new crank bolt for $200. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's around $430 or so new. As long as it's in good shape, no rust/dents/etc, I'd offer $300 and see what he said. LTs + true duals = lots of fun, especially coming from a stock exhaust setup.

Also, you might take a look at the Powerbond underdrive pulley...SDPC (site sponsor) sells the Powerbond, new main and a/c belts, and a new crank bolt for $200. Not a bad deal at all.
Yea says the only damage is the turn down got scrapped a little bit. Ill probably end up checking it out & see where it goes from there. Do you happen to have the website of the sponsor? Pretty good deal..
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea says the only damage is the turn down got scrapped a little bit. Ill probably end up checking it out & see where it goes from there. Do you happen to have the website of the sponsor? Pretty good deal..
http://sdparts.com/details/powerbond.../kpbu1480-ss25
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

For sure thanks man