Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decisions - decisions- LM2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions - decisions- LM2?

First suspension now this...stocking up on projects for the winter. I am on a budget so can not go Borla or corsa. My three top contenders are LM1, LM2 and the Hooker aero chamber cat back exhausts. Had some Hooker tunables on a C4 vette and loved them. My car now is a '02 Firechicken completely bone stock. I really have no plans of LT or removing the cats and I do like it loud! I have been reading some horror stories with reguard to the LM1 and rasp/interior drone. It seems that this is when there are LT's.?

How is the LM2's flow compaired to the LM1?

It seems to be the best middle ground choice of the three- opinions?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

With stock manifolds and LM1 you're probably fine, although there will still be some drone cruising on the highway at certain speeds. LM1 and LTs is obnoxious, IMO
Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black00Z
With stock manifolds and LM1 you're probably fine, although there will still be some drone cruising on the highway at certain speeds. LM1 and LTs is obnoxious, IMO
LM1 is alot louder than stock and has some drone when cruising off from a stop (A4) but no rasp at all. With BBK ORY (good merge) and LT's it got louder but lost 80% drone and gained a trumpeting sound from 2000 to 2500 or so then it leaves a comes back at about 4500 and leaves around 5000 then it screaaams! I love it!

Edit: also at cruising on the interstate at 70 you can barely hear it but around 60 going up a slight incline on the interstate and not accelerate it will drone a little but not bad.. My car is an auto which changes things a little.

Last edited by mesterious; 09-11-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

LM1 is one of the best sounding set ups with manifolds and cats. There is a bit of drone on the highway but its a small price to pay for a nice exhaust. I have the Hooker right now with headers and ory and its pretty tame at idle and around town, so I imagine it would be pretty quiet with a stock set up.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by '00_Z
so I imagine it would be pretty quiet with a stock set up.
i agree, i would assume Hooker would be pretty quiet without LTs
Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

LM2 is a bit of a deeper tone and a bit quieter. Personally, I like my LM2 tone's over the LM1. Plus, the LM2 sounds much better with longtubes and a ORY.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Any opinions regarding flow differences LM1 vs. LM2? I am probably only going as far as a catted Y in the future...so how it would sound with LT really does not matter to me. I am looking for the biggest bang for the $$...so ultimately flow is what I am after while maintaining something that will pass the safety inspector here.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

As I understand it the LM1 has a resonator while the LM2 uses a bullet style muffler..the question is how much more restriction will the muffler produce?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Not much, if any. The design of the LM2 is still a straight through design. Other brands like Magnaflow use the same design and will flow just as well as a LM1. One like Flowmaster does not use a straight through one and can be more restrictive.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Ive got the LM2 on my car. still stock manifold and catted. Love the sound. and cant beat 285 bucks shipped to the door brand new.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FritoSS
Ive got the LM2 on my car. still stock manifold and catted. Love the sound. and cant beat 285 bucks shipped to the door brand new.
Where did you get a deal like that? Best I found is 385 shipped...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

When I was running stock manifolds my LM2 system sounded really good IMO. It had a smooth sound cruising and mildly accelerating, but if you jumped on it the LM2 would come to life for lack of better words. At this point i'm running LT's with the TSP catted Y and even now it's really not that loud. It has a little rasp right at 2600 or so but it's not too bad at all.

I think if you want something affordable, stainless steel, and decent/good sounding the LM2 is the way to go. Also keep in mind the SLP LM1 and LM2 systems are modular, meaning you can remove the LM muffler and replace it with a borla/dynomax/etc.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by deviantvette
Where did you get a deal like that? Best I found is 385 shipped...
a buddys speed shop. come with the tips you can see in one of my other threads too.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Launching!

My wife's car has Lt's, ory, Lm2 and it's not to loud under normal driving, but when u get on it...LOUD.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
When I was running stock manifolds my LM2 system sounded really good IMO. It had a smooth sound cruising and mildly accelerating, but if you jumped on it the LM2 would come to life for lack of better words. At this point i'm running LT's with the TSP catted Y and even now it's really not that loud. It has a little rasp right at 2600 or so but it's not too bad at all.

I think if you want something affordable, stainless steel, and decent/good sounding the LM2 is the way to go. Also keep in mind the SLP LM1 and LM2 systems are modular, meaning you can remove the LM muffler and replace it with a borla/dynomax/etc.
Great point! Being a modular system I am going to start with the loudest (LM1) and go from there. Hooker has some great bullets as well...advertised to flow better than a straight pipe not sure how but I loved'em on the vette. I saw some spiral moroso bullets in a catalog that looked interesting but have not tried them ....

Thanks for your help making the decision!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I just installed the LM1 on my CETA vert yesterday. Stock otherwise except for K&N and lid. I, too, have no intention of LTs or Y-pipe but thought stock was way too quiet.

Installation was easy and the sound is much better than stock. I was expecting it to be louder, but I am not disappointed. I don't think there are many people that would find the LM1 with stock manifolds & Y-pipe as being too loud. I feel like I can get out early in the morning without offending the neighbors, yet it is very clear the car has some sack. Haven't had it on a highway trip yet so I can't comment on drone. I had a '94 Firehawk with the TOTL and loved that sound. This is the same thing, maybe a smidge quieter.

So - if your internal debate is LM1 v LM2 because you are worried about LM1 being too loud, get the LM1. For reference I am in my 40s with kids, so my "it's not that loud" is coming from a responsible adult. wink wink.

Last edited by ceta4zng; 09-12-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: remove smiley face
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ceta4zng
I just installed the LM1 on my CETA vert yesterday. Stock otherwise except for K&N and lid. I, too, have no intention of LTs or Y-pipe but thought stock was way too quiet.

Installation was easy and the sound is much better than stock. I was expecting it to be louder, but I am not disappointed. I don't think there are many people that would find the LM1 with stock manifolds & Y-pipe as being too loud. I feel like I can get out early in the morning without offending the neighbors, yet it is very clear the car has some sack. Haven't had it on a highway trip yet so I can't comment on drone. I had a '94 Firehawk with the TOTL and loved that sound. This is the same thing, maybe a smidge quieter.

So - if your internal debate is LM1 v LM2 because you are worried about LM1 being too loud, get the LM1. For reference I am in my 40s with kids, so my "it's not that loud" is coming from a responsible adult. wink wink.
Done...I will be 40 this Feb. I too am a 'responsible' adult! The vette was loud and I loved it. I also had the loudest 928 ever (nothing like the roar of a german 8 cyl....when it would start). The rest have been pretty mild. The firechicken is just a for fun car, not a daily driver at all...just a romp around in the canyons once in awhile. She will wag her tail comin' out of the corners

Thanks again..ordering now
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thegodfather899
i agree, i would assume Hooker would be pretty quiet without LTs
Your are correct. It does get loud with LT's. Not LM loud, but loud for me.

Quick Reply: decisions - decisions- LM2?