Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No clearance issues period as you can see in my pics even if I were to hit a speed bump the torque arm mount would be all that hit. Performance wise I dropped from 11.65 to 11.30 and prolly could have matter of fact I know I could have gone 11.20's maybe faster, I am looking at getting it on the dyno soon to see what the numbers increase is so keep a lookout!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

I am about to get this setup but I am unsure whether I should get the catted or non-catted version. The car is a daily driver and future plans are either a D1SC or F1A procharger with a 402 stroker, 600-800hp depending on blower and pulley. I live in Durham NC were cats are supposedly required but I got pulled twice in my old procharged cat-less LT1 WS6 and never got hassled about the noise or having no cats. I work in the auto industry so inspection shouldn't be a problem. I like the idea of cats to smooth out the sound and quiet it down a little and also keep the fumes to a minimum(again daily driver and I live in population) but I have heard that cats get fried or blow apart prematurely with high boost forced induction applications. Any input or suggestions?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by madball
I am about to get this setup but I am unsure whether I should get the catted or non-catted version. The car is a daily driver and future plans are either a D1SC or F1A procharger with a 402 stroker, 600-800hp depending on blower and pulley. I live in Durham NC were cats are supposedly required but I got pulled twice in my old procharged cat-less LT1 WS6 and never got hassled about the noise or having no cats. I work in the auto industry so inspection shouldn't be a problem. I like the idea of cats to smooth out the sound and quiet it down a little and also keep the fumes to a minimum(again daily driver and I live in population) but I have heard that cats get fried or blow apart prematurely with high boost forced induction applications. Any input or suggestions?
id go catless its really not loud enough to make heads turn to get pulled over by the po po besides cats are over rated and all they do is choke
Old 02-05-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd also go catless, save yourself a little $
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Whoever pays $1600 for this exhaust system is an IDIOT

And some of you wonder why you're broke.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

90lbs?!?!?!?

another way to make an f-boat even heavier
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by madball
Cats typically don't last very long when used with forced induction. You would be surprised how many pieces of cats you will find sitting behind a chassis dyno. I'd go catless if I were you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher

How do you figure?

Good quality costs money. Kooks is top quality stuff and I am pretty sure that this stuff lasts a lot longer then most other exhaust stuff. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
How do you figure?

Good quality costs money. Kooks is top quality stuff and I am pretty sure that this stuff lasts a lot longer then most other exhaust stuff. You get what you pay for.
This is an argument that you won't win.

There are lots of people in this world that wouldn't recognize quality if it came up and smacked them in the face, much less pay for it. These same people seem to congregate on the internet with the vast majority ending up on this forum. Why? I have no idea...

They'll use arguments like "I can have my buddy weld up something way better for only $400", but they fail to realize that they probably won't be getting mandrel bends, high quality stainless (there are many grades being used out there, and some aren't as stainless as others), or proper fitment. But let's not get bogged down with the details...it will be $400, and they'll still spend their days shouting to the wind how much better it is than someone that spent more money.

Welcome to the world of the depreciating automobile. When these cars first came out, they cost quite a bit of money, and spending that much on exhaust was only a small fraction of the total price of the car. These days, our cars are hardly even worth as much as I spent on my wheels. I think that's why we're seeing more and more of this type of sticker shock on this forum.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

There are lots of people in this world that wouldn't recognize quality if it came up and smacked them in the face, much less pay for it. These same people seem to congregate on the internet with the vast majority ending up on this forum. Why? I have no idea...

They'll use arguments like "I can have my buddy weld up something way better for only $400", but they fail to realize that they probably won't be getting mandrel bends, high quality stainless (there are many grades being used out there, and some aren't as stainless as others), or proper fitment. But let's not get bogged down with the details...it will be $400, and they'll still spend their days shouting to the wind how much better it is than someone that spent more money.

Welcome to the world of the depreciating automobile. When these cars first came out, they cost quite a bit of money, and spending that much on exhaust was only a small fraction of the total price of the car. These days, our cars are hardly even worth as much as I spent on my wheels. I think that's why we're seeing more and more of this type of sticker shock on this forum.

Yeah I know. I'm an admin on srtforums and know how cheap people can be (hell it's a neon LOL). I'm actually biting the bullet next week on ARH stuff because I know I won't have to pay for anything exhaust wise for a long time.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Insightful common sense? On LS1Tech? Where am I and what have done with my previous "hater's club"??

Lol, good post Steve! Selling my Corsa for this upgrade...can't wait to hear the new bullet breath through it!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Insightful common sense? On LS1Tech? Where am I and what have done with my previous "hater's club"??

Lol, good post Steve! Selling my Corsa for this upgrade...can't wait to hear the new bullet breath through it!
If this exhaust had been available back when I wanted my exhaust done, I would have done this - Speed Inc. did a good job fabricating mine, but I paid more, it was mild steel, and necks down to 2.5" pipes after the x-pipe. It sounds great, but I have a feeling it won't continue to work once I install a Watts link out back. I may have Kooks redo some or all of what's currently on my car when I get enough money.

I think you'll really like the Kooks system - the sound on the video clips I've seen is almost identical to mine.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

I did and I bet you wouldnt say that to my face bitch!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yes there are different grades of stainless steel but you only need 11% chromoly mixed into the steel for it to be non-corrosive. Piping is piping when it comes to power and if you have a good tig welder you could get it done for a fraction of the price and make it exactly how you want. When it comes down to it you're just buying the name.

I'd much rather put the money towards a good clutch, engine internals, heads, cam, etc. You know, stuff you just can't make without a cnc machine.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

The Watt's Link incompatibility is what is making me turn away from this system. I tried to get some answers from Kooks on this issue and if they can do something custom, since they are "Kooks Custom Headers", but no luck getting a follow-up after being transferred to vmail there.

IMHO, Kooks needs to develop a solution to this system with a Fays2 Watts Link, not just a Panhard w/relocation kit.

If this exhaust had been available back when I wanted my exhaust done, I would have done this - Speed Inc. did a good job fabricating mine, but I paid more, it was mild steel, and necks down to 2.5" pipes after the x-pipe. It sounds great, but I have a feeling it won't continue to work once I install a Watts link out back. I may have Kooks redo some or all of what's currently on my car when I get enough money.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yes there are different grades of stainless steel but you only need 11% chromoly mixed into the steel for it to be non-corrosive. Piping is piping when it comes to power and if you have a good tig welder you could get it done for a fraction of the price and make it exactly how you want. When it comes down to it you're just buying the name.

I'd much rather put the money towards a good clutch, engine internals, heads, cam, etc. You know, stuff you just can't make without a cnc machine.
Yes, and that's the vast majority of the problem - most people don't have a tig welding machine or the skills to weld much of anything, much less an exhaust. You'd still have to source all of the mandrel bends necessary to do this since most shops don't have mandrel benders on hand, and mandrel bends in stainless aren't all that cheap last I checked.

I'd agree that you are paying for a name - you are also paying for their tooling and labor cost that sent this exhaust into production. Honestly, I'm surprised they even went ahead with it since the last of these cars was made in 2002, and their current values are so low.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Default sad but true

[QUOTE. Honestly, I'm surprised they even went ahead with it since the last of these cars was made in 2002, and their current values are so low.
Gm stands for General Monkeys
Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by max_ta
Gm stands for General Monkeys
WTF does that have to do with this thread?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

90lbs for an exhaust system is a lot of weight, basically twice as much as a regular catback. $1600 is a lot of money, thats more than ANY corvette catback. If you get kooks headers/catback/all parts necessary to install it is a ripoff. A full corvette exhaust doesnt even cost that much, **** its probably still more expensive than an exhaust for a viper.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5w20
$1600 is a lot of money, thats more than any corvette catback.
wrong

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body