Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
I have a question too. If you were going to buy the Kooks true dual system with catalytic converters, do you think it would be best to buy the long tube headers that the the AIR pump fitting and use it? Even with high flow cats, I'm assuming the AIR pump would help the cats run more efficient and increase their life?
just my opinion but if your gonna keep the cats why even mod the car? Just delete all that **** and be done with it all it does is choke the engine anyway and if you're gonna mod the crap outta the car the cats and air system is coming off anyways, if you have issues with emissions in your state as we do here in NC for inspections every year hey $$$ talks when it comes inspection time
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
just my opinion but if your gonna keep the cats why even mod the car? Just delete all that **** and be done with it all it does is choke the engine anyway and if you're gonna mod the crap outta the car the cats and air system is coming off anyways, if you have issues with emissions in your state as we do here in NC for inspections every year hey $$$ talks when it comes inspection time
My car only made 630 uncorrected rwhp with the cats on there. Who needs them. I bet I could have made 10-15 more hp without them.

Besides who needs clean air, let our kids deal with that.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

^^ I'm only planning on running cats with this because I want to keep the rasp down. I doubt they choke back THAT much power. IIRC, cats either move the Tq up a little higher in the RPM range wen removed, or keep it low end when installed. And it's a good way to keep some noise down and keep your eyes from watering at long lights. And don't tell me that this system has NO rasp, because I won't believe you. Every exhaust will have SOME degree of rasp. Just an OR setup will be the most. (depending on the setup.)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

I disagree, i've seen dyno results with cats that only lose a few hp, the high flow cats don't choke it up at all, they actually make it sounds better IMO. Again it may depend what cats you are running, but cats like the random tech ones are proven to only lose a few hp and take out all the rasp in your exhaust system. IF you are trying to make every last bit of HP then don't run them, my car is just a street toy, i'd rather run cats with no mufflers then mufflers with no cats, i like the sound
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Exactly. And same here. Just a street toy for me and sits in the garage a lot. But they won't take out ALL the rasp, but they will kill a LOT of it. A bad Y Setup will actually produce rasp.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by taman86
ok there always has to be at least one that doesnt follow the crowd and tonight that is me. why in the **** is everyone getting all hyped up over a new true dual system from a name brand company, big ******* deal!!! bassani had a true dual system out back in '07 and kooks is barely putting one on the market?! i have a 2.5" true dual system on my cammed t/a and i can tell you that my custom system sounds a hell of a lot better then that one and im using cheap *** flowtech or dynatech knock off bullets with 3.5" magnaflow tips that look to be a foot long almost. mine is straight back off the headers to x-pipe just behind the tranny, striaght back under axle to the tips. WAY less bends and way better flowing then this over priced POS system. oh and lets not forget the price, 1500 is the cheapest so far is the consenses. to have mine custom fabricated for labor and cost for parts, $400. they want to charge 1500 for a bunch of flashy stainless steel pipes, ya it looks good but it weighs a **** ton and is way over kill. you can even get a custom dual set up with stainless steel for hundreds less, maybe even a grand less. im sorry but there are alot of over spending morons in this country that always has to have to the biggest, flashiest, newest **** out on the market. and people wonder why the economy is **** right now. its because of dumb *** people willing to pay for that flashy **** and willing to do what ever it takes. so please be smart and have common sense people, does it make sense to pay 1500 dollars for a crappy *** flashy true dual system with a big name brand logo on it or get one that out performs and sounds better then this for hundreds less.
So, I guess you don't like it, huh ?

LOL !

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
I drive my car on the street, every day and "stoplight to stoplight" frequently. This is not a "Trailer Queen" or a Strip-Only car . . .

I live near Raleigh, NC . . . I don't want to be hassled by "BARNEY FIFE" for equipment violations, in addition to whatever else he is writing me up for !

Of course, "passing emissions" is simple with PCM mods, BUT we still have the "Visual Inspection" aspect of Vehicle Inspection in NC . . .

Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

I was looking into the Bassani system that is really similiar to this Kooks one you guys are looking at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDHX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-Y_s9GHYM

http://www.bassani.com/part/5798RS5

Sounds killer and is around 500 bucks cheaper I believe.

Not soliciting, just wondering if anyone has any comparison info on these two since they are the same style.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice system just a little expensive
Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Didnt realize they still make the Bassani. Not many people run that exhaust for some reason. Only difference is the 2 1/2" pipes compared to Kooks 3". SPDEMON whats the price on that again?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mac62989
Didnt realize they still make the Bassani. Not many people run that exhaust for some reason. Only difference is the 2 1/2" pipes compared to Kooks 3". SPDEMON whats the price on that again?
Right around a grand. $1,000.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
I'm in same boat. I want a good SS exhaust but think i'm going with Bassani. Cheapest i found it was $918 with free shipping.

I didn't read this entire thread but don't you need a relocate the PHB with kooks? I have read with bassani you don't need to do that, but you do have to modify it to work with headers, as its setup for stock manifolds.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gpr
I'm in same boat. I want a good SS exhaust but think i'm going with Bassani. Cheapest i found it was $918 with free shipping.

I didn't read this entire thread but don't you need a relocate the PHB with kooks? I have read with bassani you don't need to do that, but you do have to modify it to work with headers, as its setup for stock manifolds.
I'd just like to see what the horsepower comparisons are for say Magnaflow/Borla/Corsa Single 3 inch vs either of these dual systems.

Otherwise I'll spend the thousand bucks on something else. LOL.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good and i know it's built right, but not sure if i'm willing to sell my left nut to own 1, looked like ground clearance might be and issue too, something that's $1,600 better fit like a glove and not even have a chance of scraping the road
Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

A little to pricey after knowing I can get a custom job for a 1/4 of the price and have it make the same if not more power and last just as long.. Kooks stuff period is pricey. I just bought a set of ARH 1-7/8 stainless headers for my new build and they were almost a $100.00 cheaper than the Kooks.. Why? Which one is better?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious...how does this system get shipped to the customer? From the pics it looks to be maybe a two piece but it's hard to tell. Are those band clamps in the midle of the exhaust, past the x-pipe? If one was to drive their car to Kooks, how much would a complete install be, headers and exhaust? Do you offer any discount if we drive from Ohio to you and have you install it, maybe a break on the labor???
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
I drive my car on the street, every day and "stoplight to stoplight" frequently. This is not a "Trailer Queen" or a Strip-Only car . . .

I live near Raleigh, NC . . . I don't want to be hassled by "BARNEY FIFE" for equipment violations, in addition to whatever else he is writing me up for !

Of course, "passing emissions" is simple with PCM mods, BUT we still have the "Visual Inspection" aspect of Vehicle Inspection in NC . . .

Dave
strong rumor has it its going away and real soon
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed the new system. It fits together great, just a pain to adjust the rear tips. Sounds great but certainly drones around 2,000 - 2,100 going down the highway. I have a M6 with 3.42s. If you are geared different it wouldn't be a problem. It certainly is pricey but glad I purchased it. Might work on getting some videos in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by White_TA_27
I just installed the new system. It fits together great, just a pain to adjust the rear tips. Sounds great but certainly drones around 2,000 - 2,100 going down the highway. I have a M6 with 3.42s. If you are geared different it wouldn't be a problem. It certainly is pricey but glad I purchased it. Might work on getting some videos in the next couple of weeks.
good job...very nice and I also never wear them.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that video of the camaro with the bassani duals is the sound I been looking for it sounded amazing....

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body