Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012 | 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
Finally got my exhaust in today!! I love how vague the directions are haha. What is the aluminum looking heat tape for?

I laughed when I saw the heat tape....two 10" strips are really gonna help me. They should include a whole role of it if you ask me.

I've messed with the install a little, I don't like how the DSL is going to have to be furred down even more, there should be plenty of room there for Kooks to work with. Also, when I test fitted the tips they were actually touching the bottom of my bumper, hopefully that will come down with some adjustments. It's also VERY close to the upper PHB. Took most of it back off to install more heat tape, didn't want to take a chance.

First impression is it's a nice system, but I can really see the benefits of going totally custom.
Old 02-21-2012 | 03:23 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know what size the bolts are that go into the body for the hangers?
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:06 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry i dont know. Brntws6 mine where hitting until i bent the hanger on the body down which lowers the exhaust they bend easy. The exhaust will settle once there are like 500 miles on it.
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

^ alright, I'll try and bend them thanks.
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have the back part on the drivers side that goes to the muffler i will sell if some one needs it.
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
edit: nevermind
So you got the tips aligned good? Also if one tip sticks out farther than another cut alittle off og the over the axle part.
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
So you got the tips aligned good? Also if one tip sticks out farther than another cut alittle off og the over the axle part.
Didn't try yet, I had to order some heat tape online since the local parts store was out. Once I get that I'll start putting it together again.
Old 02-21-2012 | 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking im going to sell my bmr dsl thats been on for 350 miles and switching to a mwc one i like the way it goes up.
Old 02-21-2012 | 07:35 PM
Launching!

Ok well today didnt go quite as well as I had hoped for, but I made some progress. Got a few questions...

Pass side tip seems to be sticking out farther than driver.

I could not get this hanger on the passenger side to work whatsoever. Also I am missing one of the bolts that goes in this hanger. If anyone knows where I can find one let me know. Thanks!

Driver side tip is sagging lower than pass.

Kinda hitting the upper panhard bar.

And last but not least I did fire it up to hear it and I have quite a few leaks. Do I just need to tighten the clamps more or what? Oh and the BMR DSL is not even close. I mean come on Kooks that is just stupid. I need like a 1" spacer for it to work and longer bolts! I went to try and find longer ones but had zero luck...Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 02-21-2012 | 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes tighten the clamos tight tight. Did you use all four rear exhaust hangers.
Old 02-21-2012 | 10:18 PM
Launching!

I could only get 3 to fit. The one on the pass muffler (NOT the one on the bumper for the tip) would not fit. If I forced it with all my might it just made the tip way off and hit the bumper.
Old 02-21-2012 | 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bend the hanger down. It just bends easy. That thing on your head is not just a hat rack
Old 02-21-2012 | 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Bend the hanger down. It just bends easy. That thing on your head is not just a hat rack
Lol yeah yeah. Well it seems like the hanger needs to bend like side to side. Where the welds are at I mean. Also where you able to use the hanger by the transmission? Mine was not even close :/
Old 02-22-2012 | 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

The pass side hanger was tight but I did get it on, that will raise it up a little and give you some more clearance over the PHB. The DSL is ridiculous, I'm gonna send them an E-mail with all the **** I had to "fix" to get this thing to fit. I haven't tried it yet but i'm wondering if I could get any more clearance on the DSL by raising up the trans brace and drilling different holes. I'll try it today.
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:15 AM
Launching!

Ok cool let me know how that works. Also where you able to use hanger by transmission?
Old 02-22-2012 | 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Ok so here's what I did. Push or use a floor jack to raise up the trans hanger and slide in the bolts. Then push up the x-pipe and just thread in the bolts on the DSL without any washers. It'll be touching the DSL but just barely on one edge of one pipe. I'm using the DSL a little as a hanger, but this pushes up the pipe over the axle for plenty of clearance.

Now I have to adjust my tips, there not level at all and the driver side is sticking out further. Gotta take it apart and do a little cutting.
Old 02-22-2012 | 01:21 PM
Launching!

Ok so here's what I did. Push or use a floor jack to raise up the trans hanger and slide in the bolts. Then push up the x-pipe and just thread in the bolts on the DSL without any washers. It'll be touching the DSL but just barely on one edge of one pipe. I'm using the DSL a little as a hanger, but this pushes up the pipe over the axle for plenty of clearance.

Now I have to adjust my tips, there not level at all and the driver side is sticking out further. Gotta take it apart and do a little cutting.
Im still confused how to make the hanger by the transmission work. My car didnt have a stock exhaust before this one so im trying to remember where all the hangers went. From what I can tell the hanger bolts dont thread into anything on the new hanger. Do you just use different bolts with nuts? Could you also post some pics of the trans hanger? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012 | 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

I just went and bought some stainless bolts w/nuts. Most aftermarket y-pipes still use the trans hanger. So your missing the hanger on the trans that telescopes in the rubber block? I'll try and snap a pic, gonna go start it up now.
Old 02-22-2012 | 03:02 PM
Launching!

I just went and bought some stainless bolts w/nuts. Most aftermarket y-pipes still use the trans hanger. So your missing the hanger on the trans that telescopes in the rubber block? I'll try and snap a pic, gonna go start it up now.
No I have it. It just doesnt line up very well I will take some pics later. At work now :/ So how did it sound? I liked it alot. Thought it was not as loud as my TSP dumps, but sounded cleaner if that makes sense. cant wait to get it all lined up perfect and go for a drive!

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body