Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would a bad temp sensor/connector be the cause for all of this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would a bad temp sensor/connector be the cause for all of this?

2000 A4 mods: LT headers, lid

so i had a bad O2 sensor, i changed it and driveability has improved, though here are some symptoms i'm having:

-going 50 mph @ 1500 rpms, the rpms would spike to 2000, to 1500, and repeat.

-when starting it up the idle was fine, then when i got home and put it in park the idle would drop to 500 and fluctuate. i noticed the temp gauge would move too.

now when i was changing the header gasket i accidently hit the temp sensor connector and broke it off. the 2 prongs were still there, the connector could slide on and off the sensor, it just wouldn't lock. would that be the cause of all of this?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Yes! The temp sensor definitely plays an important role in adjusting the idle. My temp gauge as well as rpm's started acting funny after a short road trip a few months back. Did a whole bunch of research into what it could be.... Found out the temp sensor was not reading correctly and throwing off my idle. Changed it out in 5 minutes and whallaa!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

My sensor is the exact same way. But I don't think it should cause that much of a problem. Yeah your temp. guage might move or act funny but it shouldn't cause the car to drive bad
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Cheap and easy fix, replace it and see what happens.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlueBeastSS
My sensor is the exact same way. But I don't think it should cause that much of a problem. Yeah your temp. guage might move or act funny but it shouldn't cause the car to drive bad

Absolutely incorrect. Next time you start your car, go unplug your temp sender. I'll bet money on the fact that it stumbles and/or dies.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I have driven with the sensor off. SO has a budy of mine and it drives fine.
Originally Posted by Marshessn
Absolutely incorrect. Next time you start your car, go unplug your temp sender. I'll bet money on the fact that it stumbles and/or dies.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i replaced it and it drives much better. i had no idea that something like that could have that much of an effect on drivability. ya learn something new everyday.

i drove around for about an hour and a half, mixed driving and no problems. only thing that happened was some backfiring under a slight acceleration, but other than that the car drove smoothly.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshessn
100% correct, I just went thru this with my car, the pigtail was bad, and the car would not run for crap, surge real bad, and then wouldnt want to start, But mine was throwin a Engine coolant Temp sensor code.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's quite easy to verify the operation of one.
Tie the sensor over a pot of water on the stove, sensor in the water. Get your ohm meter out and watch the ohms change with the water temp.
Every sensor has an established graph, detailing the correct ohms at a given temp.
It's so easy to do, and eliminates the hit or miss of random sensor changes.

Last edited by gMAG; 02-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: would a bad temp sensor/connector be the cause for all of this?