Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which exhasut set
keep magnaflow ,get ory with longtubes, cutout
39.58%
LTs, corsa catted, cutout
14.58%
LTs, gmmg catted, cutout
33.33%
LTs, powerflo catted, cutout
6.25%
TSP true duals
6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

keep magnaflow or go with corsa/gmmg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep magnaflow or go with corsa/gmmg?

i was thinking about using my tax return money to upgrade my exhaust. I know i want longtubes and a louder more aggressive sound but not too crazy for my daily driving a4 z28. currently i have just the magnaflow catback and its pretty quiet. I have had a nightmare with fitment and its always clanking around sounds like its going to fall off.. about 2 months ago i picked up a slp lid from these 2 brothers with trans ams and the one started up his with corsa, it had cats im not sure if stock manifolds or not cant remember what he said exactly, but it sounded amazing and exactly what im looking for in sound.

PS: i live in jersey and they got rid of inspection BUT of course they kept emissions test so im not sure if i would be able to get away without cats if i went with magnaflow and an ory.

what do? lol

1) keep magnaflow , get longtubes ,ory , E cutout
2) keep magnflow , get lontubes , catted y, E cutout
3) get corsa , get longtubes , catted y ,E cutout
4) get gmmg, longtubes, catted y, e cutout (possibly powerstick too)

Last edited by z28camaross2; 01-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly even with longtubes your magnaflow is quiet. If you are willing i would highly suggest running some TSP duals. I just ditched my quiet magnaflow even with a cam for duals that are dumped and its perfect. You will be surprised how mellow the sound is. It is not really loud as you would expect.

But if you are dead set on corsa, then i would definitely pick one up. Another solid choice is hooker catback. It might be on the quiet side like magnaflow, but its got a more deeper, and muscular sound. I wasnt really impressed or happy with magnaflow.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

corsa is overpriced and really doesnt sound that great to me. i say cut out.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Restricted User

OK here is going to be your best sound ever. Trust me I have been experimenting. Keep your magnaflow and get a 2 1/2 cutout from summit. Mount the cutout before the axle and put a 2" little dump pipe on the end of the cutout. quiet down the highway, not way to loud when your just sitting there and when you go WOT it screams extremly loud
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I was gonna spend that much money on exhaust I would get either the Kooks true duals or a GMMG... Corsa is WAY overpriced.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 AM
Captain Double Post

Agree gmmg or duals sounds way better than the corsa,corsa sounds good but not for that price tag,my fav set up has been mag cat back and dual cutouts,you can have it loud and crazy and quite,best of both worlds,having loud all the time was a pain,I would drive my car to work every now and then,I leave at 4 am .you know how big of an *** I felt like starting that thing knowing everyones walls are shaking
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have a magnaflow and i love it. it is quiet until you get on it then it really opens up. i have lt's and an ory too. i would say save money on that corsa and buy you a cutout with your headers and y-pipe. like BOBS9SS said, you can have a quiet and loud when you want it then. i dont know what your current mods are, but with the money you save by not buying the corsa, you could buy you a nice intake setup or even a cam!

besides that a waste to go from one high end exhaust to another just to get a little different sound and prob no power increase since that magnaflow actually is a very good flowing catback. improve on something else. imo
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

mmmm...didnt even think of kooks true duals and how hard is it to find a gmmg set? listen to that kooks and it sounded amazing not to loud great tone. might have to look into that more. as far as magnaflow quality goes though ill admit it has a nice tone but the fitmen is just horrible. took forever to get my tips decently centered and it literally sounds like its going to fall off any day now even though i have adjusted it a million times.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If your going with a ORY-pipe, then put dual electric cut-outs in it (1 per side) and keep the cat-back.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

anybody ever notice that with magnaflow, they say its loud when you go WOT!!! every exhaust screams at WOT!! But at start up and idle and crusing magnaflow isnt even in the same sentance compared to my tru duals. I love the sound of my duals at crusing speeds.. it isnt loud, or raspy, its got a muscle car sound to it.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
anybody ever notice that with magnaflow, they say its loud when you go WOT!!! every exhaust screams at WOT!! But at start up and idle and crusing magnaflow isnt even in the same sentance compared to my tru duals. I love the sound of my duals at crusing speeds.. it isnt loud, or raspy, its got a muscle car sound to it.
Magnaflow isn't even loud at WOT. You hear a lot more induction noise than the exhaust.

I can't believe it when people say the Magnaflow catback sounds deep and muscular. It just doesn't. It has a pitiful exhaust note that lacks any tone and is less aggressive than stock. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't remember the nice burble the stock catback had.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah sadly i am just disapointed with catback i think dual cutouts would help me get the loudness i want at some points but it would not give me that amazing muscle car sound i want. highly considering gmmg catted... how much ground clerance does the TSP true duals have though because i plan on lowering the car this summer possibly.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Magnaflow w/ a DMH electric cut out FTW.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Captain Double Post

I really like the magnaflow,a week ago I detailed a 00 camaro ss head,cam,stalled auto with a magnaflow catback and had to drop it off,yeah it was quite but sounded good,its more of a dd exhaust,for people you don't wanna have a loud car 24/7, if my car was a dd I would still have the magnaflow on my car,
Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Long tubes, off road y and 4" mufflex with magnaflow muffler.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Captain Double Post

I just always thought the magflow,had a great tone,and with the cutout its like the best of both worlds
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Latch
Magnaflow isn't even loud at WOT. You hear a lot more induction noise than the exhaust.

I can't believe it when people say the Magnaflow catback sounds deep and muscular. It just doesn't. It has a pitiful exhaust note that lacks any tone and is less aggressive than stock. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't remember the nice burble the stock catback had.
Agreed!! Magnaflow is good because its stainless steel for cheap, and its not too loud. But i wasnt really impressed with magnaflow honestly.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Captain Double Post

If magnaflow had a louder catback I would say a lot more people would have one,kinda like how flowmaster has so many options,honest I would buy a slp dual/dual before another magnaflow,I saw on slps website they have new mufflers out anyone have any info on them,
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
yeah sadly i am just disapointed with catback i think dual cutouts would help me get the loudness i want at some points but it would not give me that amazing muscle car sound i want. highly considering gmmg catted... how much ground clerance does the TSP true duals have though because i plan on lowering the car this summer possibly.
I've had 5 different exhaust setups including magnaflow & corsa.
For the deep muscular tone gmmg is hands down the best.
I'll never change exhausts again.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Captain Double Post

^ agree, gmmg hands down owns all,duals,corsa it doesn't matter,

Quick Reply: keep magnaflow or go with corsa/gmmg?