Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed ram air ducts... Heavy rain :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed ram air ducts... Heavy rain :/

I thought i was cool last summer and wanted to removed my ram air ducts and grills, here now it's poring rain and my ram air hood is open to my filter basically is it bad to drive in the rain like this????
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i would think so
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you've driven a little ways pop the hood and check the filter to see if its wet or even close to being wet, do this periodicaly and see. If it is yes if not then your good to go!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^thanks bro will do if u don't mind me askin how many miles on ur car cuz I wanted to bolt up a 100 shot when i get my stall and I'm close to 85k on my engine and trans and i got long tubes duals and lid good idea?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn that means its gonna rain down here next most likely

let us know what happens, gl
Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sucks cuz it stoped raining soon as I drove to the store but it's raining all this week I'll have a lot time to check
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I get a direct shot of air to the filter on my homemade cold air setup on the standard hood - very much like a WS6 hood without baffles. I've tested it in heavy rain, and although my filter has never gotten wet, water has accummulated on the sheet metal below it.

My solution will work on you car like this: Get some sheet plastic and cut it in the shape of the grilles. Attach velcro to those pieces and the corners of the grilles. Reinstall your grilles, and then just attach your "rain blockers" whenever it rains heavily and no worries.

Or if you want to leave the grilles off, you could put the velcro on the grille mounting tabs in the scoops.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

I did the same with my ducts. Drove it and got caught up in some heavy rain, stopped and checked my filter and it was drenched.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is no a good idea. Someone on this forum hydrolocked his engine because of this "mod" when he drove it in heavy rain.

Is it really worth ruining an engine for this?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The thing is I went all out and shaved the tabs down for the grills now I gotta make my own custom grill
Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1TAUTO
^^^thanks bro will do if u don't mind me askin how many miles on ur car cuz I wanted to bolt up a 100 shot when i get my stall and I'm close to 85k on my engine and trans and i got long tubes duals and lid good idea?
Definatly, ive got 94k on mine. What i would advise though is if you dont know the condition of your engine to go through it and find out before. Nitrous is completely safe when done right and shouldn't be a problem, just read up on it alot first and ask questions ect. When i got my kit (sitting in my room )off someone here the solenoids were not as described and when i asked the guy if i could send it back at my charge he declined so paypal is now reviewing it and either it will go through and ill get another or i will keep the kit and just toss the old solenoids and buy new ones. Either way im going to be happy cause i want to get it on but i dont want to end up spending alot more but thats life i guess. However right around the same time i noticed my mpg fell from 30 to 10 mpg so ive been going through the engine checking for vacuum leaks, compression tests, oil stuff, checking sensor readings and everything. Its a pita but a blessing in disguise cause i dont know what would have happened if i threw it on before. Im not the original owner so i needed to do this anyways. Newb mistake in my opinion and i would have been a dumbass not doing this before but at least it happened before anything went down. So i would advise a good thorough engine check and all to make sure everything is in top condition then go for it!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks bro I will look into it I'm runnning some codes right now and my car kinda break up at 35 4k sometimes so I'm thinking it's a vacuum leak somewhere but it is a hog tho so will see
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude i live in colorado and drive mine with out tabs. Its my DD. It see's snow rain all the great weather here in colorado and have no problems. It all depends on your filter. If you have a crap paper filter replace it with a K&N. If you have a K&N dont worry check it but you should be fine. Its worth the mod less restrictive air to your motor.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Vacuum leak is really simple, you prob know but just in case you dont, just take carb cleaner and before the engine gets too hot spray it around the hoses and potential leak areas and listen to a change in the idle of the car, it should make a pretty noticable change that you will be able to tell and locate. Really basic, im sure you know but i didnt once and if you dont then you can go out and do it right away and see! I've heard you may need to disconnect the IAC value for the best results..
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had a Harwood WS6 hood on my T/A and made it functional. No grilles with my K&N fipk kit sitting right behind the inlets. I live in south Florida an the car was my DD. I drove through hurricanes in that car, literally, and never even had water on my MAF or in my intake let alone enough to hydrolock a motor. U guys have to remember its not that easy to get enough water in there to hydrolock it
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i debaffled my hood 3 years ago and have no trouble in hard rain
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My stock hood had two baffles, i took out the one in the back and left the one in front, just in case
Old 04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been driving the car for almost three years now with no baffles in the hood. Never been a problem in rain. The amount of rain that can get in during a heavy downpour is minimal.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1, no baffles or grills. 2 open holes right to the K-N filter.

Though I don't drive my TA in the rain. It's scary enough on dry pavement.

Quick Reply: Removed ram air ducts... Heavy rain :/