Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 100mm MAF issues..keeps throwing code

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TSP 100mm MAF issues..keeps throwing code

I bought a TSP 100mm MAF and had it a local shop install it along with some other mods including a FAST 102/102 setup. Since then the car dies out from time to time, and keeps throwing the SES for the MAF circuit. Code P0102.
I was told by the shop this is a very common problem with these 100 MAFs and it happens to all of them. Main reason being that they use a LS7 cartridge and the F-body pcm can't keep up with it. Is there a way around this?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Since then the car dies out from time to time, and keeps throwing the SES for the MAF circuit. Code P0102. Main reason being that they use a LS7 cartridge and the F-body pcm can't keep up with it. Is there a way around this?

P0102 is a "low input" alarm. This usually means that the reference voltage sent to the MAF from the PCM is too low, of which can be interpreted as a failing PCM. Am not claiming that is what the issue is here. The PCM can also send this alarm for a too low airflow issue. This alarm should be a P0101, but, can be a P0102. Anyway, I would start by taking the car to a dyno & have the tuner look @ the MAF table scaling. Explain the code & have him check the scaling. I think that the scaling is off in the low airflow operating area of the MAF & is causing the problem & alarm. The tuner will be able to determine this & re-scale the table to eliminate the problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I don't meant to jack, but Mine does the same thing. But was set for an SD tune and I get the high-reference code on a hard SES light. My tuner was saying that the maf is set to "fail" so it will enable the SD tune. Any truth to this? He said it should set a code but the light shouldn't come on. And the guy wants to charge me for a retune and not fix what he already did..... Crook..
Old 07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ I don't meant to jack, but Mine does the same thing. But was set for an SD tune and I get the high-reference code on a hard SES light. My tuner was saying that the maf is set to "fail" so it will enable the SD tune. Any truth to this? He said it should set a code but the light shouldn't come on. And the guy wants to charge me for a retune and not fix what he already did..... Crook..

For an SD tune, he should have turned the "high-reference" alarm off. Yes, the MAF high reference will be set for a SD tune. Although, he should not charge you for a re-tune, cuz' he should have turned the alram off when he tuned if for SD. Your issue is different from the OP, as you already know. Am stating this so that the OP doesn't think that the two issues are related.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove the car today and it died about 30 times on me..SES light is on as well. Can TSP get in here and tell us what the trick is to use these things succesfully?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

you said this "shop" installed these mods but you made no mention of tuning for them. You can just throw **** on a car and expect it to be good. Hell back when I put an 85mm MAF on mine it would barely idle before it was tuned for it, get it scaled properly and should be fine
Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

you said this "shop" installed these mods but you made no mention of tuning for them. You can just throw **** on a car and expect it to be good. Hell back when I put an 85mm MAF on mine it would barely idle before it was tuned for it, get it scaled properly and should be fine
Comon man..Look at my post count and how long I have been on this forum. You realy think I would be making a post like this without getting it tuned?
I bet the car wouldn't even idle with the LS7 style MAF cartridge without a tune lol.
Yes the car was dyno tuned, and the tunner spent extra time trying to get it dialed in right for the LS7 style MAF. Its a very reputable LS1 shop, thats not the issue here. I want to get a response from someone else that has the 100mm MAF if there are any tricks to getting these things to stop throwing the SES lights. I read a thread where someone "clocked" it so the sensor is at the 3 oclock postion. Curious if theres somethign to that.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Comon man..Look at my post count and how long I have been on this forum. You realy think I would be making a post like this without getting it tuned?
I bet the car wouldn't even idle with the LS7 style MAF cartridge without a tune lol.
Yes the car was dyno tuned, and the tunner spent extra time trying to get it dialed in right for the LS7 style MAF. Its a very reputable LS1 shop, thats not the issue here. I want to get a response from someone else that has the 100mm MAF if there are any tricks to getting these things to stop throwing the SES lights. I read a thread where someone "clocked" it so the sensor is at the 3 oclock postion. Curious if theres somethign to that.
I've read where some people buy the aftermarket screens and put in front of it and it keeps the light off and supposedly functions better.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I've already answered your question. Go back to the shop. They need to have another look @ the scaling.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of using the 100mm mass,but i was told of the issues and didn't want the problems.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've read where some people buy the aftermarket screens and put in front of it and it keeps the light off and supposedly functions better.
Thats the kind of info I am looking for! Do you know where I can find one of these? I remember reading a thread about a place that sells them, but I can't find it.

I've already answered your question. Go back to the shop. They need to have another look @ the scaling.
I got a question for you..Do you own or have you tuned a car with a 100mm LS7 style MAF in an F-body?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Look for a thread on here about Flow straighteners. I shouldn't be buried too far. Fairly recent.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

saxonpc.com, that's what you're looking for.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and ordered one of the screens and I will be sure to post how it does..I still would like TSP to get in here and post what they do to make these MAFs work good in F-bodys.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
saxonpc.com, that's what you're looking for.
What this guy said. A lot of people have had MAF issues resolved for good after adding a SaxonPC honeycomb screen to it. You can have these custom made for any size, and potentially flow more air than a stock screen.

Here's my MAF screen before/after
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

I got a question for you..Do you own or have you tuned a car with a 100mm LS7 style MAF in an F-body?

No, I'm just talkin' out my a$$ for the fun of it. Of course I have, why else would I waist my time posting? That screen will modify the airflow across the whole MAF scale (slow it down to closer match the MAF's scaling). ie; larger holes, slower speed, smaller holes, faster air speed. If it get's people closer to where they want to be, great. It's a band-aid when compared to a properly scaled MAF table. Unbelievable to me, what people will do to get around the best solution. Good-luck, hope it works out.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

i also had the same probleme,the flow of air in a f body is coming at a sharp angle out of the air filter and making turbulance going across the maf, i moved the clocking of the maf from 3 to 11 o'clock position and it worked, then i added a screen and it help even more, i was monitoring the air flow of the maf with my hp tuner, by moving the position of the maf housing i was putting the sensor of the maf more in the air flow stream. hope this helps, check the post about the maf screen air flow straightener
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1-450
No, I'm just talkin' out my a$$ for the fun of it. Of course I have, why else would I waist my time posting? That screen will modify the airflow across the whole MAF scale (slow it down to closer match the MAF's scaling). ie; larger holes, slower speed, smaller holes, faster air speed. If it get's people closer to where they want to be, great. It's a band-aid when compared to a properly scaled MAF table. Unbelievable to me, what people will do to get around the best solution. Good-luck, hope it works out.
There is no way the air is slowing down with a larger honeycombed screen. Air is getting pulled in at the force of the motor.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
There is no way the air is slowing down with a larger honeycombed screen. Air is getting pulled in at the force of the motor.
Uh, air velocity is most definitely affected by the cross sectional area of the pipe it's flowing through. For a given flow, the smaller the diameter of the pipe, the higher the velocity (the theory is the same on the exhaust side btw). So if you swap screens to the larger honeycomb, the velocity of the air will drop.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Uh, air velocity is most definitely affected by the cross sectional area of the pipe it's flowing through. For a given flow, the smaller the diameter of the pipe, the higher the velocity (the theory is the same on the exhaust side btw). So if you swap screens to the larger honeycomb, the velocity of the air will drop.
I understand the whole pipe volume/velocity ratio. But you're telling me that at WOT that honeycomb screen I posted is going to SLOW the air down versus a stock screen on the SAME stock MAF??

Quick Reply: TSP 100mm MAF issues..keeps throwing code