Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay headers help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011 | 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Default Ebay headers help

ok first off i understand the rules and am not trying to sell a non sponsored products. just need help

Iv had the headers laying on my bed room floor for almost 2 years now. i really want to get them on just cant bring my self to spend the cash to have someone else do it.
I feel like i can install it my self just have a few questions and may need a little advice from you guys as I install.

-Fist question is i have heard a lot of people talking about needing to cut a notch or something off the motor? (im not sure what it would be)
also is there a write up with some photos on the header install?

iv been soaking my bolts almost every time iv worked on my car the past year so im hoping they come off easy.
Old 11-01-2011 | 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive never heard of notching the motor. i installed bbk headers on my car in 2 hours. easy as hell. trick is to get the car as high as possible, i had a drive on lift so i kinda got away realy easy then most people on here who did it on jack stands. basic tools, a breaker bar and a lift is all you need.
Old 11-01-2011 | 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Twisted636
ok first off i understand the rules and am not trying to sell a non sponsored products. just need help

Iv had the headers laying on my bed room floor for almost 2 years now. i really want to get them on just cant bring my self to spend the cash to have someone else do it.
I feel like i can install it my self just have a few questions and may need a little advice from you guys as I install.

-Fist question is i have heard a lot of people talking about needing to cut a notch or something off the motor? (im not sure what it would be)
also is there a write up with some photos on the header install?

iv been soaking my bolts almost every time iv worked on my car the past year so im hoping they come off easy.
I've been stressing about the same thing as I'm doing lt's in December and I've read through this thread like 10 times a day the past month
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 11-01-2011 | 08:47 PM
On The Tree

You might have to notch K-member. Not everyone does but it happens. There are great write ups in the Gen III external threads with pics on doing headers with all possible problems you might run into.
Old 11-01-2011 | 09:52 PM
On The Tree

AmarilloWS6 that write up is great do you have links to anymore? to just do headers im hoping i dont have to remove the alt or ac compressor i see he was doing alot of other stuff too so maybe thats something i wont have to move.
Old 11-01-2011 | 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's really the only one I've bookmarked because of the great descriptions and pics but it's recommended you change to poly motor mounts when doing headers, which is why he took the alternator and everything out, but just headers you shouldn't have to take that stuff out, the only thing I could see removing is the coil packs just to get in there easier
Old 11-01-2011 | 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

I've installed/helped with ebay headers on a 2000 SS and 98 Z28, k-member had to be ground down a bit. Easy, 10 minutes worth of work.
Old 11-01-2011 | 11:01 PM
On The Tree

what part has to be ground down is it just a corner that is rubbing?
how long did it take you to get them on?
Old 11-02-2011 | 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, just the corner on the drivers side.

First set was around 4 hrs with me helping. Second set was 8 hrs, removing the old manifolds/exhaust and dropping in the headers by myself.
Old 11-02-2011 | 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are putting the car up for the winter....perfect time to try your hand at it. 2 months should be enough for anyone to do a header install.
Old 11-03-2011 | 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

I recommend getting the car up as high as possible, and as safely as possible. It'll make things a whole lot easier for everything.
Old 11-03-2011 | 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I heard the lowest you could go is 18", so I'll probably have the car around 20"-22" on jack stands
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Get it up high, and don't smash the headers all up. Just when you think there is no way they are going to fit, they will slip into place. Most of them will go in better through the bottom. Get every littile bracket ,line, wire, clip, ect. out of the way. A rubber or plastic mallet, and a prybar is a must, just don't beat it all up. I run E bay exhaust and it all fit like a champ. Be paitent and it they will work.
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm taking the coil packs and everything off making as much room as possible, I'm pretty excited to do it, lol. Since I won't be running cats and all when I get it tuned can they tune out all the codes that'll get thrown permanently? I HATE lights being thrown on my dash, lol, some people have said you can't permenantly delete them and that they'll just pop back up sooner or later and others say you can completely clear them, I won't have cats, and I'm deleting the AIR and EGR so my dash is going to look like a Star Trek spaceship until I get it tuned, which'll be the day after install
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just realized this isn't my thread as I'm on my phone, I apologize for the hi-jack man!
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:19 PM
Banned

install new motor mounts while your there. (now will be the time to do so)
i installed my ebay headers and they hit the k-member both sides.
drivers side was a pc of cake.i used my sharpie and marked the area that needed the work then i just i used a die grinder.
passenger side well as the new poly mounts settled in a little bit they started hitting as well.
so i loosened all the motor mount bolts and raised passenger side and did the same marked the area and used the die grinder.
dont be scared.
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I already have the poly motor mounts, the only thing I need now is the headers, which I'm getting in December, the MM's are the only thing I'm scared of trying to install, looks like a huge pain