Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor eats more oil after cam/intake/ls6 valley pan swap??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Motor eats more oil after cam/intake/ls6 valley pan swap??

I did a cam/intake/new style ls6 valley pan swap several months ago on my 2000 ls1. It seems like the motor eats more oil than it did before the swap. It goes through over 1/2 a quart in under 2,000 miles now (only has 50,000 miles on it, doesn't smoke on start up, has good pressure). I thought changing the valley pan was supposed to correct this problem.

Anyone have ideas what could be wrong? I'm probably going to end up pulling the intake & valley pan to see if I can visually spot a problem. Any input would be really helpful.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You running a catch can or is your inlet manifold now smothered inside with oil?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to guess your valve seals could have been pulled up and not seated completely. Happened too me with the back few because of the limited space with trying to get them on and they eventually pulled back up.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Kinda the nature of the beast, an LS6 valley cover is not the end all be all fix, neither is a catch-can. An LS6 valley is supposed to catch the oil and make it stay in the engine though people have varying results, a catch-can catches it outside keeping it from getting into the intake, so they are kind of bandaids in a way......you sure you don't have a leak though?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Not running a catch can, and there isn't much more residue in the intake than normal. There's definitely no oil leaking externally. It's hard for me to tell if it's blowing smoke on start up. If it is, then it's a very small amount. Rawr256, I was thinking it may be exactly what you said. I guess the only way to tell would be to pull the valve covers and check to see. I'm sure it's eating more oil than it should be, which makes me nervous.

Either way it's a pain in the *** having to check and add oil every other time I want to take it for a spin.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

trust me i know your feeling i have to add a quart of oil every 750-1000 miles it seems maybe little more changes sometimes, im going to get a catch can but my intake does have oil in it. but i dont think thats where it all is going there is not one external leak on my car at all its dry as a bone everywhere and i just had new valve springs put in it so im clueless as to whats going on with mine as well.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed an LS6 valley pan and catch can at about 110k. I empty the can at oil changes (sometimes sooner) and there is always a mix of oil & water in there.

I've always had to add oil too. Not too worried about it.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed no increase in oil loss (none before, none after)
my cam / intake swap. But a car with blowby is going to
have more blowby when you stuff more air/fuel down the
hole, and that's what transports your oil fog out the PCV
routes (extract and makeup). Makeup air from before the
TB blade goes backward at WOT where the tract is all
under some vacuum and crankcase is positive pressure,
and there's no check on that hose. If you look at the TB
from the back, do you see a "snail track" from the PCV
makeup air port?

Quick Reply: Motor eats more oil after cam/intake/ls6 valley pan swap??