Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes they do which is good another reason I want to try them incase I have any issues. Vengeance wires do look good for the price aswell..wish we had more comparisons from members about them.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish some of these guys that said they were gonna use them would let us know what they thing. Idk anyone that's ever used them. They do look good. Is there anywhere cheaper to get the granatellis than ws6 store
Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Granatellie has a pretty low call-in price.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. I'm guessing lower than ordering them online then
Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

I just upgraded to the granatellis wires and picked up more today on the dyno compared to my 1yr old msd's wires that had random missfires.My last dyno seesion on the same tune with stock plugs and msd wires made 310whp/328wtq.Today the car made 352whp/368wtq.

Ditch the msd period for lsx motors.did not work for me at all.the Granatelli wire is a quality piece,takes some good effort to hear them click onto the coil/plug and once they do..good luck pulling them off!They had thick boot to protect from the heat.Highly recommended and worth the extra coin.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redbull87
I just upgraded to the granatellis wires and picked up more today on the dyno compared to my 1yr old msd's wires that had random missfires.My last dyno seesion on the same tune with stock plugs and msd wires made 310whp/328wtq.Today the car made 352whp/368wtq.

Ditch the msd period for lsx motors.did not work for me at all.the Granatelli wire is a quality piece,takes some good effort to hear them click onto the coil/plug and once they do..good luck pulling them off!They had thick boot to protect from the heat.Highly recommended and worth the extra coin.
Bullshit!
There is no difference at all in an 8" long wire from 0- 40 ohm -150 ohm - 600 ohm.. you will not pick up power from spark plug ones one single bit unless your previous wire is compromised. Sounds like you didnt have a wire on all the way or had one burned up or cracked. MSD are hard to put on as the silicone is very tacky. Use a little dielectric grease next time....

48 hp from wires is not what happened one single bit...LMAO!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

My msds were garbage and they were on all the way with dielectric grease.You could hear them arching! Car ran like **** with them on and had miss fire codes all day long.Only other changes were tr6 spark plugs.Ran on the same dyno and no change in the tune,thats how bad they were after 1yr of use.

Im not claiming the new wires added hp..Im saying my old ones were robbing me of power to begin with.Get it straight.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Firecore50

best plug wires I have seen. they actually snap onto the plugs

Had MSD they suck. Boots are cheap. Don't even clip on the coil well

Tim
The all use the same LT1 coil terminal .. LOL

Lot of ignorance in this thread about wires.

Its 8" long... There is no power gain from an 8" long wire be it 0 ohm or 600 ohm....

MSD have multi angle terminals which means you can manipulate them away from the primaries.. The MSD terminal is best on the market to be honest.. utilizes a double crimp system that other wires dont have and thats where the breakage occurs on a lot of wires

nasty performance offers a real good deal on MSD's and NGKs... you cant beat the price and for the money there isnt a better wire on the market be it a firecore, Granatelli,Taylor or any other supposed hi performance wire... that cost more money. Its as simple as that.
If you have a power gain from a set wires then your previous set was either compromised or you didnt install them all the way. Dont blame the wire for use error. I worked for a service shop for a while and see it all the time.. customer comes in complaining about something they did.. usually a header or cam swap and it isnt running right. So its back to the basics.. check the connections and 9 out of 10 one plug wire isnt on all the way or a coil wire not pushed in all the way or a wire touching a primary.. none of which is the wires fault.

All the wire have basically the same terminals... The coil end is like 99% indentical to each other.... The plug end is different but they all have a locking mechanism to them to clip onto the head of the plug. If they dont click into place you dont have them in or on all the way no matter what the brand is.. pardon my spelling ..LOL
Old 06-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redbull87
My msds were garbage and they were on all the way with dielectric grease.You could hear them arching! Car ran like **** with them on and had miss fire codes all day long.Only other changes were tr6 spark plugs.Ran on the same dyno and no change in the tune,thats how bad they were after 1yr of use.

Im not claiming the new wires added hp..Im saying my old ones were robbing me of power to begin with.Get it straight.
LMAO !! You could hear them arcing?? sounds like you burned a few of them up.. Dont blame the MSD for your poor treatment of them. I've had a set on my car for 8 years now without issue and I'll be honest... my wifes car has the factory set still on with 199,848 miles on it and has never missed a beat and still gets same same gas mileage as the day it was new in 03.

Wires dont go bad unless a person does something to them. No one has ever touched my wifes wires, you dont fix what isnt broken. Chevy made on hell of a car.

You had issues but it wasnt the wires fault and obviously you had quite a lot of an issue if you gained 48 hp with a wire swap.. seems like we arent getting the full story here so yes I say
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Redbull, which granatellis did you go with? On ws6 store there's two different ones. Did you get the cheaper or more expensive ones
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

My wires have only been on and off twice.Installed when I first did my ls1 swap,removed and reinstalled on my lq4 swap,and switched a few of them around on my base dyno run to validate which ones were indeed bad.

There is no poor treatment or bs story to tell.You think its impossible to get a bad set of wires?Only changes made were new wires and plugs were changed months ago.I had these same miss fire codes on my ls1 using the same wires which I numbered and keep track of.

I still have my msds here they visually didnt last.the boots warped even with the stock heat shields,fully clicked onto the coil/plug you could wiggle them and feel lack of contact.If it would show well on a pic of the terminals inside the boot spread open on 5 of the wires to the spark plug.Thats enough miss fire/arching to not allow my car to efficiently make the power it should have.

My original spark plugs on the lq4 had 20,000km on them and in perfect condition when I removed it from the yukon the motor came out of.I only changed the plugs to tr6 while I was doing my baseline dyno pull to narrow down any other issues and that came up empty.

I never had issues with my full msd ignition on my 383sbc with msd distributor,msd coil,msd 6al and wires.Which is why I tried it for my ls1 swap but my experience with their lsx wires didnt work for me in this application.Dont be so quick to judge someone without knowing their mechanical background.Every manufacturer can make a bad set of any product and that can cause problems on any given car.Assuming I abused it anyway is wrong on your end.I specifically dynoed my car knowing the wires were faulty and went back to redyno it on the same dyno and tune to show how faulty they had become.

Side by side when I compared the wires the granatelli solid core is well made over the msd.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

I went solid core.Dont get me wrong..the msd isnt horrible but my set just didnt live upto my previous expectations I had using msd products.I got my msd wire sets cheap on summit for under $100us.I priced out new gm wires and they were over $150can.

When I did more research on msd products being used on lsx's is where I saw how much they had a failure rate,especially the coils in high horsepower applications.I dont have experience with the coils to comment on it personally but 4 performance shops i asked about them refuse to use msd anything on a ls based motor from past experience.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running tsp headers and with the stock plug wires the second one back on the drivers side the boot is touching the primary by a hair. You think ill have the same issue with granatellis
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by andy-lswon
I'm running tsp headers and with the stock plug wires the second one back on the drivers side the boot is touching the primary by a hair. You think ill have the same issue with granatellis
If you get the high temp set you shouldn't have any problem. The guy I talked to at granatelli said they are designed to withstand the wires laying on the header primary. There were a few of my wires that were touching on my XS headers. There was no damage to the plug boot at all.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I love how every time somebody says their wires "made" power, there's ten guys who call BS.

Any new wire set will "make" more power than an old bad set.

While I don't particularly believe any wire set will make more power over another, I for one will attest that the Granatelli wires made my engine run better than any other wire set I've tried. Driveability and engine response both improved noticeably.

Granatelli makes very high quality stuff-and offer a great warranty to back them up.

Don't use Granatelli wires, or any other wire set in the hopes to get more power. Do use Granatelli wires for their other benefits.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^ Exactly my point.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I love how every time somebody says their wires "made" power, there's ten guys who call BS.

Any new wire set will "make" more power than an old bad set.

While I don't particularly believe any wire set will make more power over another, I for one will attest that the Granatelli wires made my engine run better than any other wire set I've tried. Driveability and engine response both improved noticeably.

Granatelli makes very high quality stuff-and offer a great warranty to back them up.

Don't use Granatelli wires, or any other wire set in the hopes to get more power. Do use Granatelli wires for their other benefits.
Quoted for truth.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If I didn't get my msd wires for cheap with my plugs I'd probably just get oem ones. Its not really gunna make that big of a difference.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

I've owned 4 sets of msd wires and they're a average wire at a good price. On a turbo car where you have high cylinder pressures your not going to get very long life out of them.

If you want a high quality wire set you have to pay the price.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna go with granatellis I think not bc I'm expecting a power increase but bc I wanna high quality wire that's gonna withstand the header temps as close as some of my boots are to the primaries like mine are

Quick Reply: plug wires